Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Mar 25, 2014, 08:56 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Japanese Court Rules Apple Does Not Infringe on Samsung Patents

A Japanese court ruled today that Apple's iPhone 4s, iPhone 4 and iPad 2 do not infringe on Samsung's data communication patents, reports Bloomberg. Tokyo District Court Judge Koji Hasegawa handed down the decision in the infringement case, which was originally filed by Samsung in April 2011.

Samsung said in a statement emailed to Bloomberg that it was disappointed by the decision and may consider an appeal, while Apple has not yet commented on the ruling.
Quote:
"We are disappointed by the court's decision," Samsung said in an e-mailed statement earlier today. "Upon a thorough review of the ruling, we will determine which measures to take, including an appeal."
This is one of several patent infringement lawsuits filed by the two technology giants in recent years. Apple scored the biggest win when it was awarded $890 million in a high-profile case that was presided over by Judge Lucy Koh in the United States District Court in the Northern District of California.

A second U.S. patent infringement lawsuit is set to begin on March 31, with Apple seeking up to $40 per unit in damages if Samsung is found guilty of infringing all five of Apple's software patents.

Article Link: Japanese Court Rules Apple Does Not Infringe on Samsung Patents
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2014, 08:59 AM   #2
keterboy
macrumors regular

"Ceeeelebrate good times come on" *pops champagne*, in your face Samsung.

keterboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2014, 08:59 AM   #3
dumastudetto
macrumors 6502a

No surprise at all. Apple isn't Samsung afterall.
dumastudetto is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2014, 08:59 AM   #4
SJism23
macrumors 6502a

Darn American companies and their biased American courts!
SJism23 is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2014, 09:14 AM   #5
samh004
macrumors 68020

I can imagine $40 per device would be a big winner for Apple and a very large annoyance for Samsung

How much are we talking in total?
Old Mar 25, 2014, 09:27 AM   #6
SMIDG3T
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by samh004 View Post
I can imagine $40 per device would be a big winner for Apple and a very large annoyance for Samsung

How much are we talking in total?
This I'd also like to know but... a hell of a lot!

MacBook Pro w/ Retina display | Late 2013 Model | OS X Yosemite 10.10
SMIDG3T is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2014, 09:35 AM   #7
winston1236
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by keterboy View Post
"Ceeeelebrate good times come on" *pops champagne*, in your face Samsung.

I didn't realize this was like a sports match.
winston1236 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:05 AM   #8
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

It seems Samsung is losing much more than it's winning in the patent litigation process. Maybe they need to change course and try to settle. Face saving is important and losing in court and blaming the system is not the way to do it, IMO.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:14 AM   #9
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuban Missles View Post
It seems Samsung is losing much more than it's winning in the patent litigation process. Maybe they need to change course and try to settle. Face saving is important and losing in court and blaming the system is not the way to do it, IMO.
Blaming the system is Verdict 101 Every company releases similar statements - Apple included - when the courts aren't in their favor.
samcraig is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:38 AM   #10
Truffy
macrumors 6502a

At last no corners were rounded this time.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:17 PM   #11
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
Blaming the system is Verdict 101 Every company releases similar statements - Apple included - when the courts aren't in their favor.
Yes, but my point is that this is not really face saving. Maybe once, but how many losses can be blamed on a system. That is why I was suggesting that it is time to go away from 101 and graduate to 301 -- the art mediation, negotiation and compromise. If the two wanted, they could make a deal an solve all the silliness. The bigger problem is that with each loss, Samsung loses leverage for negotiation, so the long they wait, the worse off their terms will be in any eventual deal.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:27 PM   #12
mojolicious
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston1236 View Post
If only both companies exhibited that level of maturity and sophistication. It's much more like a kindergarden sandpit squabble.
mojolicious is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:57 PM   #13
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuban Missles View Post
Yes, but my point is that this is not really face saving. Maybe once, but how many losses can be blamed on a system. That is why I was suggesting that it is time to go away from 101 and graduate to 301 -- the art mediation, negotiation and compromise. If the two wanted, they could make a deal an solve all the silliness. The bigger problem is that with each loss, Samsung loses leverage for negotiation, so the long they wait, the worse off their terms will be in any eventual deal.
They aren't going to settle. At this point both they (and Apple) are too heavily invested to "cut their losses."
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2014, 01:25 PM   #14
kdarling
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by samh004 View Post
Even Mueller at Foss Patents... who is usually pro-Apple... has said himself, and quoted other experts, that the $40 claim just makes Apple look ridiculous. As he put it not long ago:

"$40 per unit. For five software patents. Give me a break. Reality distortion would be a total understatement for this."

A request like that can backfire, too, if a judge decides that what's good for the goose, is good for the gander... and that Apple should pay more for others' patents.

Recently a similar thing happened when Apple claimed that they could've easily programmed around a patent used in Facetime for just a few million dollars, and therefore should not have to pay a lot to use it.

After they lost the case, they flip-flopped and claimed that not using it would be incredibly disruptive and cost much more. The judge was not amused and increased the royalty rate he had already decided on, because it was clear that Apple suddenly considered the patents to be worth more.

Sometimes Apple's lawyers are their own worst enemy.
kdarling is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2014, 01:53 PM   #15
sir1963nz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post
Even Mueller at Foss Patents... who is usually pro-Apple... has said himself, and quoted other experts, that the $40 claim just makes Apple look ridiculous. As he put it not long ago:

"$40 per unit. For five software patents. Give me a break. Reality distortion would be a total understatement for this."

A request like that can backfire, too, if a judge decides that what's good for the goose, is good for the gander... and that Apple should pay more for others' patents.

Recently a similar thing happened when Apple claimed that they could've easily programmed around a patent used in Facetime for just a few million dollars, and therefore should not have to pay a lot to use it.

After they lost the case, they flip-flopped and claimed that not using it would be incredibly disruptive and cost much more. The judge was not amused and increased the royalty rate he had already decided on, because it was clear that Apple suddenly considered the patents to be worth more.

Sometimes Apple's lawyers are their own worst enemy.
Apple only needs to bring up the RIAA awards against people who deliberately broke copyright laws as an example and the $40 per device sounds incredibly reasonable.
sir1963nz is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2014, 02:54 PM   #16
kdarling
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir1963nz View Post
Apple only needs to bring up the RIAA awards against people who deliberately broke copyright laws as an example and the $40 per device sounds incredibly reasonable.
Yeah, copyright awards can be very high.

However, patent awards are usually calculated differently (*).

They're based on what a reasonable royalty would be, and then enhanced depending on whether infringement continues and/or was intentional.

(*) Both can go for lost profits, but those are almost impossible to get with a smartphone, since it's notoriously difficult to prove that any particular patent is the sole or major reason why people buy a particular model. Because a smartphone uses thousands of patents, it's difficult to prove that a handful contributed that much to sales. If a patent wasn't a main reason, then there was no lost sale due to it.)
kdarling is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2014, 02:54 PM   #17
Parasprite
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston1236 View Post
You must be new here.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 08:32 AM   #18
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:

(*) Both can go for lost profits, but those are almost impossible to get with a smartphone, since it's notoriously difficult to prove that any particular patent is the sole or major reason why people buy a particular model. Because a smartphone uses thousands of patents, it's difficult to prove that a handful contributed that much to sales. If a patent wasn't a main reason, then there was no lost sale due to it.)
Agreed. And even harder when those patents refer to items not used heavily in marketing as differentiators.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:04 AM   #19
kdarling
macrumors G4

Quote:
Agreed. And even harder when those patents refer to items not used heavily in marketing as differentiators.
Exactly. Both Judge Koh and the appellate court judges noted the lack of advertising.

-- Neither company thought the features were primary

They also noted that neither company had ever even included any of the features in their buyer surveys, at least not until they needed evidence for the trial.

In other words, the features weren't even on Apple's own top list of reasons why people buy their devices.

-- Apple's expert's patent value survey had ridiculous results

Something I haven't seen reported on much, was the survey that an Apple-hired expert came up with, which was supposed to be Apple's evidence as to the extreme value of their patents.

It was criticized by the judges for lacking balance in its questions, and for not including alternative feature methods.

His survey came to the conclusion that people would pay up to $422 EXTRA for the features used on a $199 smartphone.

No, I'm not kidding. You can't make this stuff up. But it gets better.

The appellate court judges pointed out that his survey had used visual manipulation methods which he himself had written a paper on back in 2004 as being misleading. Oops!

--

In the end, Apple could not prove any loss of profits due to those features.
kdarling is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:21 AM   #20
subsonix
macrumors 68040

Quote:
In the end, Apple could not prove any loss of profits due to those features.
Would be very hard to prove without access to an alternate universe where Samsung doesn't exist.
subsonix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:41 AM   #21
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonix View Post
Would be very hard to prove without access to an alternate universe where Samsung doesn't exist.
It doesn't help Apple's case when they are constantly speaking about breaking records in sales for iPhones.

I am not saying they couldn't sell "more" - but it's just a tough pill for a judge to swallow to award that same company damages.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:51 AM   #22
subsonix
macrumors 68040

Quote:
It doesn't help Apple's case when they are constantly speaking about breaking records in sales for iPhones.

I am not saying they couldn't sell "more" - but it's just a tough pill for a judge to swallow to award that same company damages.
I think a judge should be qualified to keep those two issues apart.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:04 PM   #23
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
I think a judge should be qualified to keep those two issues apart.
The point I was making is anyone would have trouble quantifying loss of sales as being significant enough to award damages when that same company is speaking to record sales numbers.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:29 PM   #24
subsonix
macrumors 68040

Quote:
The point I was making is anyone would have trouble quantifying loss of sales as being significant enough to award damages when that same company is speaking to record sales numbers.
I know, but it's a weak point because it's two separate issues.

The trouble of quantifying loss of sales is there regardless of current sales, it's similar to the problem of showing how violence in media affect society for example, you need an alternate universe with no violence in media to compare with.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 01:03 PM   #25
Consultant
macrumors G5

Quote:
No need. The iPod market share is a good example of what happens when competitors didn't copy.

Quote:

Apple breaking its own records has nothing to do with Samsung stealing market share. As I said, iPod business of last decade is a good example of Apple's potential.
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion