Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
UK
My gf's late 2011 MBP 2.4GHz i5 13" non retina has original 4GB RAM and I was looking to upgrade to 8GB but I noticed at online store that Corsair 2x4GB kit was more expensive (€78) than a single 8GB stick (€60) - so why would I not go with replacing one stick for 10GB (original 2 + 8). I know the thoughts about matched pairs running better but many users here report no issues with un-matched pairs. I believe this MBP can handle upto 16GB RAM and is non-soldered. Machine is running Mavericks.

I've done some searching but didn't find anything, apologies if this is a duplicate thread. I've put Corsair RAM into my Mini so happy with that brand.

rapicell

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Yea the 2011 MBPs can use up to 16gb of ram, but unless you're doing some heavy work, just going to 8 or 10 in your case, would probably suit your gf's needs. While matched pairs are preferred, I doubt you'd notice the difference too much.

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
UK
Yea the 2011 MBPs can use up to 16gb of ram, but unless you're doing some heavy work, just going to 8 or 10 in your case, would probably suit your gf's needs. While matched pairs are preferred, I doubt you'd notice the difference too much.
Thanks, yes it seems I spend a little less but have more RAM afterwards. Her usage is basic web/email/plus Office for Mac so 16 is overkill. To be honest I'm a bit surprised by how much beach balling she gets.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Thanks, yes it seems I spend a little less but have more RAM afterwards. Her usage is basic web/email/plus Office for Mac so 16 is overkill. To be honest I'm a bit surprised by how much beach balling she gets.

Even with 16GB of RAM, my 2011 MBP constantly kept beach balling until I threw out the HDD and replaced it with a 512GB Samsung 840 Pro.

Now it absolutely flies.

exizeo

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2014

Can they? On apple's website, the 2011 13's can only do 8gb.

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
UK
Even with 16GB of RAM, my 2011 MBP constantly kept beach balling until I threw out the HDD and replaced it with a 512GB Samsung 840 Pro.

Now it absolutely flies.
Thanks, I had an Evo 500 SSD in the shopping basket too but decided to try just the RAM first as I need to check with the gf is she wants 500ssd and keep the optical or 256ssd put the HDD into the optical bay and make the optical external - the price of the 500ssd was enough to make me stop and think ! If the RAM alone doesn't sharpen things up I'll change the HDD for an SSD of some description.

----------

Can they? On apple's website, the 2011 13's can only do 8gb.
I had exactly same question with my 2009 Mini, Apple site says 4gb max but the good people of MacRumours assured me 8 was possible and that upgrade worked fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.