Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

exi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Title says it all.

I'm looking for the thinnest, most straightforward, "minimalist" case (or cover) +keyboard available for my iPad Air which currently has a Smart Cover on it. I realize there are probably a few options since Moshi and the rest announced theirs, but I thought I'd solicit the opinions of MR users first since I suspect there are a few like-minded people here.

Looking for something that is understated and as slim as can be, as well integrated as a third-party case/keyboard can be, and with solid battery life. Willing to pay a little bit of a premium.

Suggestions appreciated!

Last edited:

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
Looking at the Moshi case, one similar to it in appearance and function is the Belkin Qode Ultimate case. It doesn't provide portrait but it has 3 position adjustment. It has an aluminum top and bottom keyboard. It works well, is sturdy, provides a lot of protection. Read the Amazon reviews. It is very highly rated. It comes in black, silver and white. I prefer black for my Space Grey iPad or silver for a white/silver iPad. Amazon has a good price and return policy.

Quantumtorpedo

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2010
In my skin
Take a look at Touchfire. They will begin shipping in late April. I made a donation through Kickstarter. The keyboard looks very nice and is very minimal.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
+1 for the Zaggkeys Cover. I use it every day. Great keyboard.

The Zaggkeys or the ZaggFolio? I think their the same except one is a laptop like covering and the other is more of just a keyboard. I'm looking at the Folio and it looks nice.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
I love my Logitech keyboard. I am a nudist and it looks like it could be a apple product.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Having been given a Logitech that I don't really care for, the zaggkeys cover (not folio) looks to solve a lot of the problems I have with the Logitech. Can anyone speak to how much effort it takes to get the ipad in and out of the clamp? Is it something you would want to do multiple times per day or is it too much trouble? There are times I'd like a keyboard, but mostly I prefer to use the ipad naked.

eg2007

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2007
The Zaggkeys or the ZaggFolio? I think their the same except one is a laptop like covering and the other is more of just a keyboard. I'm looking at the Folio and it looks nice.

Zaggkeys Cover. http://www.amazon.com/ZAGGkeys-Cover-Backlit-Keyboard-Black/dp/B00EXPSCBC

I had the Zaggkeys Folio, but it was bulkier and the part where the iPad Air snapped in is cheap plastic and kept cracking. I returned it and went with the Cover. The Cover is made of aluminum and matches the Space Grey Air wonderfully. I picked up this Acme sleeve and it my iPad/Keyboard combo fits perfectly: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AJT9EZE/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've tried a half-dozen keyboards for my Air only to finally settle on this iPad/Keyboard combo.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I agree. I just picked up the Zagg Cover for my iPad Air and it's a pretty nice little keyboard - much, much better than the Logitech one.

Primarily, it turns the iPad into a miniature laptop which has a huge influence on how it feels to use it. The Logitech one requires assembly EVERY time you want to use it, has a single, fixed screen position, and doesn't hold the iPad very securely. Because of the design the keyboard has only 5 rows rather than 6, and no palm rest.

The Zagg is slightly bulkier, but not to the point of noticing, and allows you to just open the device and use it like a laptop. The key feel is much better and it has the benefit of backlit keys. The one negative is I have noticed a few lags in keystrokes, missed keystrokes, or even repeating letters. It happens rarely so it's not too big a deal, but I never had any of those issues with the Logitech.

joekim1026

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2011
Title says it all.

I'm looking for the thinnest, most straightforward, "minimalist" case (or cover) +keyboard available for my iPad Air which currently has a Smart Cover on it. I realize there are probably a few options since Moshi and the rest announced theirs, but I thought I'd solicit the opinions of MR users first since I suspect there are a few like-minded people here.

Looking for something that is understated and as slim as can be, as well integrated as a third-party case/keyboard can be, and with solid battery life. Willing to pay a little bit of a premium.

Suggestions appreciated!

Moshi Versakeyboard

zacheryjensen

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
I think the big bulky hinge on the Zagg cover looks awful against the sleekness of the rest of the setup, though the idea is nice. I have been using Logitech's ultrathin keyboard cover for over a year with zero problems and would recommend it, hands down. It fits my usage perfectly. I use it as a stand more often than anything, keyboard is super handy at work so I can take the least amount of crap to meetings and I can get the iPad in/out of it extremely easily without sliding things together that are tight and rubbing on each other.

However, I am a fan of the version that does NOT have the fancy little popup magnetic connector as that thing ends up with the same bulky hinge look when folded up. I prefer the original design: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/ultrathin-keyboard-cover-ipad-5?crid=1240 which works just like Apple's smart cover.

I just hope they update it for iPad Air 2 as I'm guessing the 1.4mm size difference will be too much for compatibility.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
Pretty happy with my logitec keyboard and skin combo. I believe this is the most minimal you can get

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Do any of the keyboards allow for using the iPad Air (or soon to be Air 2) in portrait mode as well?

malochico1

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2012
also looking for iPad Air keyboard. top two choices are Zagg Keys Cover and then Logitech ultra thin so far.. Just waiting to find a good deal or coupon before buying one. I am sure with Black friday around the corner, there will be plenty of deals coming up.

malochico1

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2012
actually came across a discount code for Kensington Black Keycover Hardshell keyboard for $14.99! so ordered one for time being. This should hold me till black friday deals. But if the quality is good, i may just stick with this and stop looking for another.

ordered it from Newegg, reg price was 45.30. Amazon price was 47.50 with decent reviews. Figured i cant go wrong for $15.00 free shipping :)

coupon code EMCWPGP59

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.