Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AkuskaUK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2011
Shanklin, Isle Of Wight
Hi all,

I have a slight problem that i can't select my Windows 7 Harddrive to be used as a startup drive. When i open "Startup Disk" it only shows my Mavericks drive. Anyone know how i can fix this issue?

Thanks in advance.

chrisn123

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2011
Any chance you are using the drive via virtualization under OS X? In that case, it might not be mounted and wouldn't show up.

When you hold down Option after restart chime, does it appear?

Is it mounted in Finder under OS X?

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Do you have an NTFS driver installed such as NTFS for Mac or NTFS+? Those are common causes for the startup disk not to be recognized.

AkuskaUK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2011
Shanklin, Isle Of Wight
Any chance you are using the drive via virtualization under OS X? In that case, it might not be mounted and wouldn't show up.

When you hold down Option after restart chime, does it appear?

Is it mounted in Finder under OS X?

It is a bootcamp drive.

Do you have an NTFS driver installed such as NTFS for Mac or NTFS+? Those are common causes for the startup disk not to be recognized.

I do have a NTFS drive, ill uninstall and try! Thanks for the suggestion!

chrisn123

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2011
It is a bootcamp drive.

Umm, yeah... I get that. Parallels (and I assume Fusion) will allow you to use the Bootcamp volume for a virtualization session--- but it unmounts the drive (at least hides it in the Finder). It was just an idea.....

Edit: I just confirmed that my recollection was correct: Bootcamp volume does not show up in Startup Disk if it is in use by Parallels.

Last edited:

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Umm, yeah... I get that. Parallels (and I assume Fusion) will allow you to use the Bootcamp volume for a virtualization session--- but it unmounts the drive (at least hides it in the Finder). It was just an idea.....

Edit: I just confirmed that my recollection was correct: Bootcamp volume does not show up in Startup Disk if it is in use by Parallels.

+1

Can confirm that this is the case with Fusion 6 as well.
-N

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
+1

And so I uninstalled it because it also caused problems using WinClone!

+2

It has been a PITA over the years so I have an exFAT drive for shared OS data. None of that or Macdrive which can cause similar grief in Windows - mutual read only attributes between the OS's are fine by me.

OP - Have you tried unplugging the OSX disk to see if the bootcamp volume appears when holding down option at boot?

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
+2
It has been a PITA over the years so I have an exFAT drive for shared OS data. None of that or Macdrive which can cause similar grief in Windows - mutual read only attributes between the OS's are fine by me.

Indeed, MacDrive is also a deleted application on my Windows side. The only thing I used it for was reading my HFS+ 4TB RAID0, but gave me far more headaches for my needs and linkings. (non)Support from the company is a true PITA also! :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.