Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jan 10, 2006, 12:21 PM   #1
mikebatho
macrumors 6502a

Busted Ipod mini good fortune...!

The hard drive went on my ipod mini last week....

Booooooooooooooohh!!!!

I bought it last March, so I knew it would be covered, but figured I'd have to wait weeks while the store (Dixons, UK) sent it back to Apple.

I took it back today, and the girl in the store said they don't send them back to Apple, and the only alternative was to chose another model of the same value.

The 2 gig nano was too small, and the 4 gig would have meant I'd have needed to put money towards.

Besides the point, I ws p*ssed off because I don't want a nano, I want my mini!!!

Just as I'm standing there trying to figure out what to do, the girl says

"Do the headphones still work ok?' I reply yes......

She then dashes off out back to the store room, and returns with a brand new, identical (but working) silver ipod mini.

A few months ago, she'd had to take the headphones out of a box to give to a customer with faulty ones, and then wasn't allowed to sell the package without phones, so it just sat there in a corner doing nothing.

I now have a brand new mini with new battery, still wrappen in it's original plastic, with my 12 month return warranty starting again from today!!

How cool is that! If it goes again in another nine months & I have to bite the bullet and settle for another model, I bet the 4gig nano will be the same price by then, and have a better coating.

I'm very happy!!!!
mikebatho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 12:24 PM   #2
iSaint
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to iSaint
Sweet Deal! Great customer service, and great salesperson for coming up with a solution for you!
Old Jan 10, 2006, 06:24 PM   #3
bartelby
macrumors Core

Bloody hell, Dixons doing something good?

It's nice when it all works out perfectly like that!!

bartelby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 07:36 PM   #4
mikebatho
macrumors 6502a

Ha, yeah. First bit of good fortune I've had for years!!

I got to spend a couple of hours setting it up again & replacing all my songs when I got home. Reminded me of when I first brought it home....

<sniff>..they grow up so fast........

Old Jan 10, 2006, 07:51 PM   #5
devilot
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebatho
I now have a brand new mini with new battery, still wrappen in it's original plastic, with my 12 month return warranty starting again from today!!
Wow. That is what I think is impressive... you get another full year of AppleCare? Congrats! Wish all my experiences w/ Apple employees were as fruitful as yours. Enjoy.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 04:26 AM   #6
mikebatho
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilot
Wow. That is what I think is impressive... you get another full year of AppleCare? Congrats! Wish all my experiences w/ Apple employees were as fruitful as yours. Enjoy.
No, no....

Not Apple care. Just the store 12 month guarantee......

Why? Do you think I'd have a shot with Apple if I register it?
Old Jan 12, 2006, 06:49 AM   #7
mikebatho
macrumors 6502a

Hmmm.

I'm trying to register my new ipod with apple (the mini listed above)

I'm entering the serial from the back of the unit, and the apple site isn't recognizing it.

Then on the website, when I try to ignore, and enter the MPN, it isn't where it says it will be in System Profiler....

Also, when I'm in profiler, the serial number shown is different from the one on the back of the unit. How can this be, and might it explain why the apple website can't t ake the number I'm trying to enter?

It's all very confusing.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mpn.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	38602   Click image for larger version

Name:	sysprefs.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	38603  
Old Jan 12, 2006, 08:37 AM   #8
jadekitty24
macrumors 65816

Awesome. At a time like this where so much negativity is swarming the board it is good to hear of such fortune! It's nice when customer service is what it should be.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 08:43 AM   #9
TMA
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebatho
serial number shown is different from the one on the back of the unit. How can this be, and might it explain why the apple website can't t ake the number I'm trying to enter?
The serial number on the rear of the iPod should be the right one. Be careful not to mistake 0's for O's and s's for z's, etc...

The number mentioned in System Profiler might just be for the Hard Disk inside the iPod, not for the iPod itself.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 12:27 PM   #10
mikebatho
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMA
The serial number on the rear of the iPod should be the right one. Be careful not to mistake 0's for O's and s's for z's, etc...

The number mentioned in System Profiler might just be for the Hard Disk inside the iPod, not for the iPod itself.
Yeah, I figured that the one one the unit was correct, but the apple website won't accept it.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the nature of how I got this new mini? As I said above, it had been sitting in a store room for months. I wonder if Apple had it down as sold already...?

But that still doesn't explain why I can't find the MPN!

When registering the product and it throws up the message about not acepting the serial number, it gives you the option to ignore & go ahead & enter the MPN, but the instructions on how to locate this don't fit with my system profiler (above)

????

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod