Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shawndc1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2014
today my brother and i went to the mall to buy a new lighting cable, we stop at a stand in the mall just for pricing and cases, when i asked the guy how much for his chargers he asked was i on 7.0 or 7.1, i thought that was strange being as though i just needed a charger, he explains that some chargers dont work on 7.1....i didnt believe him so my brother still has 7.0 he tried the charger in his phone and it worked, once placed in my phone it didnt work at all...has anyone experienced this? that is crazy..is this another way for apple to force people into buy their product?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
that is crazy..is this another way for apple to force people into buy their product?

This probably has something to do with cheap 3rd party chargers catching on fire and killing people. I've read a few reports on it recently. It was a big enough deal that, for a time, Apple offered discounted Apple branded units to people who would trade in their 3rd party chargers.

http://www.apple.com/support/usbadapter-takeback/

shawndc1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2014
This probably has something to do with cheap 3rd party chargers catching on fire and killing people. I've read a few reports on it recently. It was a big enough deal that, for a time, Apple offered discounted Apple branded units to people who would trade in their 3rd party chargers.

http://www.apple.com/support/usbadapter-takeback/

thanks for the info...i wish i knew before october lol.. i think they need to lower prices on chargers and earpieces anyway...but hey, who the hell am i

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Anything with the Made for iPhone/iPod/iPad certification should be fine...like actual Amazon ones, not the cheap stuff sold ON amazon.

There are chips in the lightning cables and things should be at par but with the cheap knock-offs they skimp on things.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
It's a combination of Apple wanting to collect $$$ and reliability/safety of 3rd party chargers.

3rd party manufacturers can pay Apple for the rights to make iPhone chargers and cables. Those should meet or exceed Apples standards and work fine.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
No worse than case manufacturers. $35-45
For a piece of .10 cent plastic. Not to mention screen protectors.

This has also been going on long before an iPhone was a thing. I remember the overpriced cases for my T-Mobile MDA...$40 for a pleather sleeve.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

True that. But you can find cheaper cases and many screen protectors elsewhere.
But with cases, screen protectors and others 3rd party stuff Apple can't make them Useless with a software update. With these new wires they can.
I been buying 99 cent and other wires on eBay for years with no probs. They all charge and sync fine but now with every firmware update I can't use them any more. Gotta throw them away and purchase Apple "certified" ones and that kinda sucks.

shawndc1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2014
even on black friday youd think they'd atleast have a big sale on cases/chargers/protectors..

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
True that. But you can find cheaper cases and many screen protectors elsewhere.
But with cases, screen protectors and others 3rd party stuff Apple can't make them Useless with a software update. With these new wires they can.
I been buying 99 cent and other wires on eBay for years with no probs. They all charge and sync fine but now with every firmware update I can't use them any more. Gotta throw them away and purchase Apple "certified" ones and that kinda sucks.
You can get one of these http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD820ZM/A/lightning-to-micro-usb-adapter and then use it pretty much with any (cheap) microUSB cable that is around pretty much anywhere.

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
Another way of forcing people to pay an arm and a leg for a USB wire that costs pennies and retails for $20:rolleyes:

Ah, the classic quip.

To produce this "10 cent plastic", you need to:

- pay Apple for the privilege of making an accessory for their device
- have a warehouse to manufacture the product
- have people working in the warehouse to manufacture the product
- have supply lines worked out so that you can purchase the materials to make your product
- design the product itself, which isn't just a process anybody can do
- test the product
- approve product, begin manufacture
- package product
- ship to store

If you're capable of doing all those things for free, I compel you to start selling cases for 10 cents, since everything else in the world costs exactly what the materials of the product itself cost.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Ah, the classic quip.

- have supply lines worked out so that you can purchase the materials to make your product
- test the product
- package product
- ship to store

If you're capable of doing all those things for free, I compel you to start selling cases for 10 cents, since everything else in the world costs exactly what the materials of the product itself cost.

And:
- put dinner on the table for yourself and family.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Ah, the classic quip.

- test the product
- package product
- ship to store

I don't think he/she was suggesting that it should cost 10 cents. Just that the markup on it is incredibly high.

Also, why does apple charge for the "privilege" of making an accessory for their device? Do you have a link for this?

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
I don't think he/she was suggesting that it should cost 10 cents. Just that the markup on it is incredibly high.

Also, why does apple charge for the "privilege" of making an accessory for their device? Do you have a link for this?

I explained why the "markup" is high. It takes R&D to make things. R&D costs money.

Privilege is another word for "license". Most commercial electronic companies require any 3rd party accessories made for their device to be licensed, assuring quality and compatibility.

3rd party controllers for gaming consoles, games themselves, cases for phones, iPhone specific headphones, etc etc etc all require a license from the company. Otherwise you cannot advertise that your product works with iPhone, or Playstation 4, or whatever the product may be. It's how business works. If I make a product that people are making accessories for, I want to assure that this product is up to par quality wise so that my customers are assured a good experience.

Also, nice username. I love Coheed.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I explained why the "markup" is high. It takes R&D to make things. R&D costs money.

Privilege is another word for "license". Most commercial electronic companies require any 3rd party accessories made for their device to be licensed, assuring quality and compatibility.

3rd party controllers for gaming consoles, games themselves, cases for phones, iPhone specific headphones, etc etc etc all require a license from the company. Otherwise you cannot advertise that your product works with iPhone, or Playstation 4, or whatever the product may be. It's how business works. If I make a product that people are making accessories for, I want to assure that this product is up to par quality wise so that my customers are assured a good experience.

Also, nice username. I love Coheed.

Ah fair enough, I wasn't aware of that. I mean I understand for cables but didn't know case manufacturers also had to do that. Thanks for the explanation. And yes, coheed is quite awesome.

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
licensing for cases is different from cables. Cables connect electronically, so those are different and more stringent. It's not technically a "license" for other accessories, all you have to do is mail a form to Apple to use the "Made for iPhone/iPad" logos.

Last edited:

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

I think of screen protectors like an insurance policy. You spend $15 for 2, so $7.50 each. If the screen get starched or chipped, thats $150-$269 to replace through Apple. So, $15 compared to $150, I much rather pay the $15. I'm sure thats how a lot of people feel about screen protectors in general.

Cases, not so much. Most of the plastic cases won't do anything, that is more for aesthetics instead of function. LifeProof and those types of cases are another story.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Exactly.
I didnt say it costs 10 cents or they should sell it at that.
But $20?
Am I the only one that thinks this is way too expensive for a usb lightning wire?
But like mentioned its the Apple licensing fees that drive the price sky high.
Other manufacturers can sell their wires for $2-5 that's all.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Exactly.
I didnt say it costs 10 cents or they should sell it at that.
But $20?
Am I the only one that thinks this is way too expensive for a usb lightning wire?
But like mentioned its the Apple licensing fees that drive the price sky high.
Other manufacturers can sell their wires for $2-5 that's all.

First party accessories always cost more.

Hell, Samsung charges $20 for their micro-USB cable.

LINK

The difference is that if you want the Made For iPhone logo, you have to pay a little more.

You can get excellent quality 3rd party Lightning Cables for $10-$12 that are certified. It's not as good as $2, but it's better than $20.

ft

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.