Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:38 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Amazon's Apple TV Competitor Expected to Debut at April 2 Media Event

Following rumors of a March launch, it looks like April 2 will be the day Amazon introduces its Apple TV competitor, as Re/code notes that the company has sent out invitations to a "video business" media event for that date. The invitations feature a photo of a couch and popcorn, strongly suggesting that the event will indeed involve the rumored streaming video device, and Re/code's sources indicate that this will indeed be the topic for the event.

Quote:
The e-commerce giant has invited reporters to gather for an "update for our video business" in New York next Wednesday, April 2.

The popcorn and couch in the image give you a pretty good idea of what to expect, as does our previous reporting, which explained that Amazon has been preparing a Web-to-TV gadget for many months.
A recent report from TechCrunch indicated that Amazon's device is expected to be a dongle similar to Google's Chromecast, which plugs directly into an HDMI port on the back of the user's television and then connects to either a USB port or outlet for power.

Amazon's launch comes as Apple users continue to await the introduction of a revamped Apple TV. Rumblings had suggested Apple was considering a launch late last year, but nothing materialized. Newer rumors have suggested that Apple might make a March or April announcement ahead of a launch later in the year, but there have been no specific signs of an imminent event from Apple.

Article Link: Amazon's Apple TV Competitor Expected to Debut at April 2 Media Event
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:40 PM   #2
johnnyturbouk
macrumors 65816

Thank you amazon, quite happy with my apple TV. Despite being an amazon 'prime member' I detested love-film, and am quite happy and content with my current iTunes/icloud set-up.

I suspect those not in a matrimonial union with iTunes-family may be swayed; personally, i do not see this as a viable alternative for my needs and usage.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:40 PM   #3
AppleWarMachine
macrumors 6502a

hurry Apple...
Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:41 PM   #4
irnchriz
Banned

Its about time one of the big boys made a push with a small streaming/casual gaming device. Now if they could only get decent content streaming in the UK. Amazon prime/lovefilm is utter crap at the moment. I got it off the back of my prime membership and its painful to use on ANY device and the content available is terrible.
irnchriz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:42 PM   #5
Bare
macrumors regular

Amazon's pretty late to this game.

If they're moving in the direction of the Chromecast -- toward being a bargain option -- that would be completely the opposite of what Apple seems to be planning -- the only hard evidence being that the Apple TV is now listed as a main product on the Apple website. ATV used to be a "hobby," but it isn't anymore, and that should set the bar high for Amazon's announcement.
Bare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:42 PM   #6
Z400Racer37
macrumors 6502

What? Was April 1st to obviously ominous lol?
Z400Racer37 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:47 PM   #7
MartinAppleGuy
macrumors 68000

Ugly image lol Looks like something a school pupil would make.
MartinAppleGuy is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:48 PM   #8
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Oh no, not those suggestive rumblings again.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:49 PM   #9
profets
macrumors 65816

The more options for people to move away from cable/satellite the better.
profets is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:52 PM   #10
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

Like the old saying, Competition is good. Because we as the customers wins.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:52 PM   #11
stu.h
macrumors 6502a

MKV support
stu.h is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:54 PM   #12
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

Following Amazon's current naming strategy, we can all be anticipating the Amazon Kable Fire!
AngerDanger is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:58 PM   #13
unplugme71
macrumors 68000

Never cared much for the Amazon Prime Movies. Nor do I want to buy any that weren't free. I only enjoyed watching past TV episodes but I won't be renewing this year since I don't buy that much from Amazon anymore.
unplugme71 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2014, 01:00 PM   #14
hrMACnstuff
macrumors newbie

Amazon Prime Dropped Scripps After Price Increase

So much for customer service. After announcing a 25% increase for a Prime membership, last week Amazon dropped Scripps and all the shows that came with it: HGTV, Food and Travel networks, etc.
So pay more and get less.
Just FYI.
hrMACnstuff is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2014, 01:00 PM   #15
unplugme71
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post

If they're moving in the direction of the Chromecast -- toward being a bargain option -- that would be completely the opposite of what Apple seems to be planning -- the only hard evidence being that the Apple TV is now listed as a main product on the Apple website. ATV used to be a "hobby," but it isn't anymore, and that should set the bar high for Amazon's announcement.
Just because sales are higher doesn't prevent it from being a hobby. It can still be a hobby, ie (a very small team putting resources into the project vs everything else Apple works on.
unplugme71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2014, 01:00 PM   #16
Skoua
macrumors newbie

The couch is quite ugly.
Skoua is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2014, 01:07 PM   #17
Yelmurc
macrumors regular

Should be interesting. I wonder if they will have channels like Roku and the Apple TV or will it only be Amazon services.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 01:09 PM   #18
flux73
macrumors 6502a

Wondering if Apple has been waiting for Amazon to announce their products so that they can't update it to copy whatever Apple has planned.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelmurc View Post
Should be interesting. I wonder if they will have channels like Roku and the Apple TV or will it only be Amazon services.
Judging from the Kindles, it will be Amazon only unless you root it.
flux73 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2014, 01:11 PM   #19
bozzykid
macrumors 68000

Quote:
You mean early? Amazon's distribution deals with the studios is pretty vast and they have a Amazon Prime app on many devices. They are ahead of the game compared to many companies.
bozzykid is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2014, 01:12 PM   #20
unplugme71
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrMACnstuff View Post
So much for customer service. After announcing a 25% increase in Prime membership, last week Amazon dropped Scripps and all the shows that came with it: HGTV, Food and Travel networks, etc.
So pay more and get less.
Just FYI.
Ouch - that's how most cable companies are too.
unplugme71 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2014, 01:12 PM   #21
bozzykid
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by flux73 View Post
Judging from the Kindles, it will be Amazon only unless you root it.
Huh? The Kindle Fire family of tablets allows any app on their platform. It is just a forked version of Android with their own App Store. Clearly they will have Netflix and probably Hulu Plus at launch.
bozzykid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2014, 01:14 PM   #22
Boatboy24
macrumors 6502

Free with Kindle purchase!!
Boatboy24 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2014, 01:15 PM   #23
dumastudetto
macrumors 65816

why would anyone want this when apple tv already does everything we need as consumers? the amazon experience is substandard and has much less content than the iTunes store.
dumastudetto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2014, 01:16 PM   #24
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Wow - so has Amazon actually mastered the art of product reveals as demonstrated time after time by Apple? Do we not actually already know exactly what Amazon is revealing, and will they be shipping a product shortly after revealing it? Those concepts are completely lost on most companies - most companies announce things months before revealing them, and then ship them months after revealing them. Only Apple announces and reveals simultaneously and starts shipments within a week of that, as far as I know.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 01:17 PM   #25
thedeejay
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Better late then never, never late is better.
thedeejay is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion