Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In his first major public event as Microsoft CEO, Satya Nadella today headlined a media event to introduce Office for iPad, in line with earlier rumors. Word, Excel, and PowerPoint for iPad are now live in the App Store as of 11:00 AM Pacific Time.

word_ipad.jpg
Word for iPad
All three apps will be free downloads and will include viewing and presenting capabilities free of charge. Users wishing to edit or create documents with the apps will need an Office 365 subscription, which is priced at $9.99/month or $99.99/year for a Home Premium package allowing access from multiple computers and mobile devices.
Starting Thursday, Office 365 subscribers can simply add an iPad as one of their chosen devices included in their subscription benefits, and can create and edit documents with Word for iPad, PowerPoint for iPad and Excel for iPad. These apps are available as free downloads from the App Store, enabling people to read and present documents, spreadsheets and presentations. Office for iPad brings full file fidelity across Office on PC, Mac, tablet and phone, and along with cloud storage from OneDrive or OneDrive for Business your files are up to date, wherever you need them on whatever device you want to use.
excel_ipad.jpg
Excel for iPad (via The Verge)
Microsoft acknowledged soon after the introduction of the original iPad back in 2010 that it was looking at the possibility of bringing its Office suite to the tablet, and by early 2012 a reported prototype shown by The Daily. Microsoft's plans remained in flux, however, with the company reportedly reluctant to embrace the iPad as it sought to push forward with its own Windows tablet initiative with Surface.

With Nadella now running Microsoft, the company has finally committed to releasing Office for iPad, although some argue that it is too late given that an entire generation of users have already moved on to embrace other mobile-friendly productivity solutions.

Update 10:50 AM: The event is over and Microsoft has published its press release. The press conference is also available for on-demand replay, while the company has published a blog post covering the release.

Re/code also has a review and video overview of the new suite:

Update 11:00 AM: All three apps are now available for download from the App Store:

- Microsoft Word for iPad [Direct Link]
- Microsoft Excel for iPad [Direct Link]
- Microsoft PowerPoint for iPad [Direct Link]

Article Link: Microsoft Launching Word, Excel, and PowerPoint for iPad Today

Jedibugs

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2012
Now let's see if he's smart enough to do this without requiring an Office 365 subscription...

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Hmm, I will certainly at least try Word as that still seems to be the standard format for pretty much any text document.

However, I think it's too little, too late as iWork is actually really, really good on the iPad.

cymerc

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
Yay! I'm sick of not paying a subscription for Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.

</sarcasm>

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I've been using an early version of this for a while and noticed what I thought was a bug: whenever I typed, I could hear a very quiet, high-pitched tone. It seemed to stay the same volume regardless of ringer/master volume configurations. I finally recorded the output as line-in audio on my computer and spent some time messing with it. Lowering the pitch and raising the volume turned the tone into a familiar sound. It was reversed audio. After reversing the playback, I could distinctly hear the robotic voice of Microsoft Sam saying over and over, "The Surface is superior. Multiple apps. Clicky sound. USB ports!"

:p

Last edited:

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Good stuff. As much as I hate to admit it Microsoft really does and always has done Office applications far better than Apple.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
With Nadella now running Microsoft, the company has finally committed to releasing Office for iPad, although some argue that it is too late given that an entire generation of users have already moved on to embrace other mobile-friendly productivity solutions.

Article Link: Microsoft Launching Word, Excel, and PowerPoint for iPad Today

It'll be interesting to see what happens. If microsoft could make excel/word as powerful as the desktop clients and make them easier to use than any other current platform then there might be hope for the programs.

RoelJuun

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Netherlands
I can see al lot of little buttons in the applications (I'm watching the live stream). Let's see how it is going to work out. Especially now that iWork is free.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Well, that is truly excellent news.

Word up. I'm liking this positive outlook from Microsoft.

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
Just no longer relevant for me. As posted above too little too late. With free iworks I don't need anything else.

----------

You can view / share documents for free, to edit you need an office 365 subscription.
That hysterical, no interest and I suspect that will be the responce of many

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.