Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
I would buy a cellphone enabled 7.9 iPad mini if they offered one, but 5.5 is close enough … right?

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
I would buy a cellphone enabled 7.9 iPad mini if they offered one, but 5.5 is close enough … right?

It sounds closer than it really is. I haven't had a 5.5" phone but I have had a 5" nexus and it didn't feel nearly as big as the mini in terms of space. I don't think a half inch will really bring you the same experience, not to mention the available iPad optimized software you get being on an iPad.

Last edited:

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
No chance. I don't want the crap I keep on my ipad on my phone and visa versa. Both have specific apps loaded for different needs.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
I talked to my wife about this last night. Awhile back she wanted to try a Note 3, but she didn't want to lose the connectivity between all of the other :apple:devices in our house.

I bought her an iPad Mini last year, she doesn't use it a whole lot. I think the larger iPhone 6 might be a good in between for her. Of course, this would mean I could have the Mini to mount in my car. :D

has.marvel

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2012
I have been thinking about the same issue but with a different point of view. I suspect that if I get a new larger iPhone 6, then I will look to upgrade my iPad from a mini to an Air. I got the mini because I liked the smaller size, it made it more portable for reading but with a bigger phone then that should be good for reading and then the other uses of the iPad like magazines, games, videos would all be much better on the Air. The slightly less portable air would not be that much of an issue with reduced usage.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
No way! I don't want a device too big for my pocket and too small for long term comfortable use of most everything I use the mini for. I'll stick with my iPhone 5 and rMini.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I wouldn't, I think they both would have a place in my home.

I have to agree here.

Although for me, I would have to see how a potential 5.5" iPhone felt in my hand. I may end up sticking with my 5S. But for me, the iPad and iPhone serve two different purposes.

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
I will consider it. I rather have one device than two, although I don't do much on my rMini other than read.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
I've been asking myself this same question. My iPad mini is mainly used for reading. I've got an iPod Touch 5 that I use for watching videos in bed at night while my iPhone is charging. Would be really nice to get down to one device (though I will still have downtime waiting for a single device to charge). I read a lot of PDF's, and it's just uncomfortable reading them on an iPhone, but nice on the iPad mini. I can't imagine what a 5.5 inch screen would be like. I would think a 4.7 inch screen would just give me more room to read in landscape (than I have on my iPhone 5), but probably not enough to read in portrait. So, we'll see, but needless to say I'm excited to see a bigger device!

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
No unless the 5.5" iphone has the same battery life or even better than the mini retina.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
Nope. The form factor of the mini is perfect for me; I wouldn't want it any bigger or any smaller.

Wbutchart

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2013
Not a chance. Anything bigger than the current iPhone IMO is marketed towards girls, if it can't fit in my jeans pocket then its of no use, I don't do man bags and see no point of a immobile mobile. There must be a rational size limit for a device that is on a person and to me its at its maximum. I know of a fair few people who have returned Samsung top tier phones because they could not fit them on their person! Things have to get sensible bigger sometimes is fundamentally useless for intended function.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Well .... I don't know, since I'm slightly changing my mind on the "phablet" matter.
As you can see in my signature, I have almost all the market covered : a very portable smartphone (iPhone 5S), a bigger smartphone (Lumia 925) , a small tablet (Nexus 7) and a full size tablet (iPad Air), not to speak about a small laptop and a full size one, which are off topic here.

I have different needs for every device, but I'm start thinking that maybe two of them could be integrated into the same device, if it is well designed.
I had the opportunity to play a little bit with a Lumia 1520, and I think it could be an acceptable compromise between a 5" phone and a compact 7-8" tablet.

I'll see the new iPhone 6 "phablet" (if it will be released , and I'm not sure yet) and I'll decide.
Surely I'm not going to miss the "little" next iPhone, 4" or 4.7", because I definitely need a portable smartphone with me when I'm going "jeans and T-shirt only" :D

Yardman1977

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2014
Chicagoland
I have a note 3 and a rmini and the mini looks huge compared to the note 3. I know that the 2.2 inch difference doesnt seem like much but the rmini with the 4x3 aspect ratio is much wider. I carry my rmini on me and i prefer it much more for browsing than the note3. Mainly just use the note for calls and texting now.

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
I would definitely get a 5.5 iPhone. I'd like a phablet mini, but it's to big to put in a pocket. The 5.5 would always be with me.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I would definitely get a 5.5 iPhone. I'd like a phablet mini, but it's to big to put in a pocket. The 5.5 would always be with me.

Well ... 5.5" is not so easy to carry around in summer, wearing only jeans and a t-shirt ....

njsapple2012

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
No, I probably wouldn't.

When I was in Derby city earlier on today I had a look at the Nokia Lumia 1320 and Samsung Note 3.

Nice devices, but a little larger than I would be happy carrying around. Sure, I'd like Apple to make a larger screened iPhone, but I find 5.5" and 6" just too big, sorry.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
I went from an iPad 3 and 15" MBP to iPad mini and 11" MBA. The iPad 3 with keyboard was not much smaller than my MBA I ended up not using the iPad nearly as much so I switched to a mini.

I think I would probably go with a 4.7" phone if there is a choice but if I went to 5.5" I may think about going back to a full size ipad, I haven't really compared the air to my MBA.Who knows though if rumors of an iPad pro are true or a 12" macbook of some type I'd probably get lured into that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.