Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I've had my 5S since Oct last year. I'm finding lately that my battery life is a lot poorer than used to be (disregarding age related).

Also it sometimes seems to jump a large % down, eg it says 20% left message literally 2mins later it's at 14% or similar.

Is it faulty? Should I get it checked out? I've cycled the battery as in let it go flat, then ha the up fully.

Thanks

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I've had my 5S since Oct last year. I'm finding lately that my battery life is a lot poorer than used to be (disregarding age related).

Also it sometimes seems to jump a large % down, eg it says 20% left message literally 2mins later it's at 14% or similar.

Is it faulty? Should I get it checked out? I've cycled the battery as in let it go flat, then ha the up fully.

Thanks

Battery life depends on usage. What are you doing when the battery drops from 20-14%?

iBackupBot can check your phone and tell you the current battery health. Otherwise you can just take it to an Apple store and have them check it out.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Battery life on 5S seems "jumpy"

I was just browsing on WiFi. It shouldn't drop that quick though within 2mins no matter what. That was an example, other things happened to.

What is iBackupBot? What do I do? Need? Buy it? How does it work? My 5S isn't jailbroke btw

Thanks

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I was just browsing on WiFi. It shouldn't drop that quick though within 2mins no matter what. That was an example, other things happened to.

It certainly can happen in two minutes, it depends on what is happening. Basic browsing shouldn't cause it though. I guess if you were on 3G/4G and had poor signal, that could do it.

Extreme hot or cold temperatures can also cause poor battery life.

What is iBackupBot? What do I do? Need? Buy it? How does it work? My 5S isn't jailbroke btw

It's a program you install on your computer. I'm pretty sure I downloaded it for free, and it doesn't require a jailbroken phone.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Rapid battery percentage drops are generally indicative of the battery developing high internal resistance towards the end of the charge. Life is great until you've used up 3/4 or so of the battery, then the load causes increased voltage drop, so you get that non-linear decrease in the percentage gauge.

The gauge is based partially on battery voltage, and partially on how many maH you have consumed. If the voltage drops suddenly it will show a lower percentage.

Either way, the battery is likely boned, or getting there. Get it replaced, especially since all 5S should still be under warranty; it's free.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Think I need to check with Apple as just seems in general to be draining faster than normal.

Seems to get hot a bit also sometimes which is an indication that battery is no good.

What exactly can Apple check when they do a test on the battery?

Also if I get the iBackupBot from the suggestion above what will it tell me in regard to battery being good or bad?

Thanks

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Think I need to check with Apple as just seems in general to be draining faster than normal.

Seems to get hot a bit also sometimes which is an indication that battery is no good.

Heat isn't necessarily the battery. Some process may be running in the background and using a lot of power.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Got it replaced. iBackupBot said 260 cycles and rated at about 1200mAh.

Took into Apple after they ran diag said battery was 90% ok. I also had random screen flickering also though, he said we could replace and I said I'd like to as had a few issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.