Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mitch444

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2010
In the middle of a large label printing job, my Dymo LabelWriter lost functionality. When visiting the System Preferences printers page it was listed as offline. No labels will move when pressing the label advance hardware button.

I reset the printer system on my iMac (OSX 10.9.2) and now the printer won't show up at all. I've turned it off and unplugged/replugged the USB but to no avail.

I've had this problem before and had a Dymo service rep help me through the process. It was fairly involved and required deleting drivers from some hidden folder and replacing them I believe. But I can't remember the specific steps required.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have a huge label project to complete this weekend and no Dymo service is available.

Dymo Support

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
You can simply press Resume to make it work again, it often helps.

Otherwise, if the issue persists, simply ring us so we can walk you through the process.

^CM
@DYMOsupport

Mitch444

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2010
Please Post The Fix?

I'd be very happy to call, but maybe you could post some suggestions to help the community? This isn't the first time I've had the problem and a concrete walk through would be very helpful. Thanks!

Dymo Support

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
There are many potential reasons why a LabelWriter would not print, hence it is much faster to sort it out on the telephone.

Here is a short troubleshooting list:
1. Press Resume in System Preferences.
2. Clear the print queue and make sure you select the right size in DYMO Label.
3. Reset the printer by disconnecting both cables, connecting the power cable, then the USB cable.
4. Make sure you use genuine DYMO labels, otherwise the printer will be stuck.
5. When you re-set the printing system, make sure you add the printer again.
6. Make sure you have the latest version of DYMO Label installed (8.5.1 at the time of writing, available here).

To reinstall DYMO Label, disconnect the printer, type in "dymo" in Spotlight, move everything that comes up to Trash and restart the computer. If you are not sure you can see all the files, go to Terminal and enter "defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES" + Enter, then "killall Finder" + Enter. This will allow you to see hidden folders.

Install DYMO Label and connect the printer directly to the computer at the end of the installation.

^CM
DYMOsupport

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.