Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chvrlctte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
Canada
At Christmas my dad bought me an iPhone 5 from someone that had barely used it. Everything was in great condition, pretty much brand new. Only thing is that the warranty had expired. 3 months after I got it, the battery started acting up. No chargers would charge my phone. So my dad brought it into a store (not exactly sure if it was Apple or another store) and they said the charger port was burnt. They replaced that and it still wouldn't work, so they replaced my battery. It charged with some cords but not others. It worked for less than a day, and the battery would drain extremely quickly (20% in 15 minutes) and it took a good 7-8 hours for it to be completely charged. Just today, the battery stopped working again and nothing will charge it. I don't want to have to be replacing my battery every week. I have never done anything to mess with the phone or battery, and I personally have only had it for 3 months. I've read about people getting their phone replaced even though their warranty was over. Would they replace my phone? Or will I have to buy a new one?

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
They won't replace the phone for free. You'll have to pay $300 to get a replacement.

We could tell you there's a slight chance they might do it for free but it's highly unlikely, so no, they won't.

My gf went to the apple store today and had to pay $300 to get a new phone since her current iPhone 5 couldn't make calls.

When buying from Apple, you need to take the extended warranty, I know I will next time I buy something new.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Apple will replace your phone for the out-of-warranty fee of $269 + tax. Whether or not they choose to waive that fee is up to the individual Genius- generally, they will not.

You will not have to buy a new phone.

akron0488

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2013
Who replaced the charging port? Apple stores don't do that.

If it was at an apple store and they performed service then your phone is under a 90 day warranty.

endofthedream

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2014
A lot of misinformation in this thread. Apple will not replace the phone for free nor will they offer an out of warranty replacement (reduced price). Since the phone was serviced outside of Apple they will be forced to, unfortunately, turn you away. I've never seen an exception made for someone who's had their phone serviced somewhere that isn't Apple. Only option is you can buy an iPhone contract-free.

bigjim83

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2011
A lot of misinformation in this thread. Apple will not replace the phone for free nor will they offer an out of warranty replacement (reduced price). Since the phone was serviced outside of Apple they will be forced to, unfortunately, turn you away. I've never seen an exception made for someone who's had their phone serviced somewhere that isn't Apple. Only option is you can buy an iPhone contract-free.

Pretty much. I'd say if you didn't have work done on the phone you might have a shot. You could very possibly be SOL with this phone

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
If your phone was serviced outside of Apple, don't mention it when you take it in. People are right, if Apple learns you had the phone touched by someone else they are going to deny you and services, including paid services.

That said, plenty of people here have mentioned they even had third party screen replacements and the Apple store still took care of them (be that under warranty or in an kurt of warranty replacement).

Explain the problem. DO NOT mention that it was serviced elsewhere. At best they will swap it for free. At (likely) worst they will charge you $269 for a refurb. At absolute worst they will notice it was serviced and deny you everything (you are no worse than you were walking into the store, minus your time).

In any case, I just sold a busted phone for $250. We had a replacement already, so we opted not to replace the broken 5 for $269 since we had a brand new 5S sitting in its box. You could likely sell your phone for $200+ on craigslist, should Apple deny you, and put that towards a replacement phone too. I see new iPhone 5s around here for about $400-$450.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Apple will replace your phone for the out-of-warranty fee of $269 + tax. Whether or not they choose to waive that fee is up to the individual Genius- generally, they will not.

You will not have to buy a new phone.

$269 is the out of warranty repair charge for that model. It's up to Apple as to whether repair or replace. (That said, replacement is very common - you just can't count on it.)

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
In any case, I just sold a busted phone for $250. We had a replacement already, so we opted not to replace the broken 5 for $269 since we had a brand new 5S sitting in its box. You could likely sell your phone for $200+ on craigslist, should Apple deny you, and put that towards a replacement phone too. I see new iPhone 5s around here for about $400-$450.
Who would pay $200 for a phone that's inoperable? Just curious.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Who would pay $200 for a phone that's inoperable? Just curious.

Repair folks...

In my case my phone was stuck in DFU restore mode. I tried everything (even made a thread). Guy bought the phone from me for $250 and contacted me a few hours later to help him remove the iCloud lock. I asked him how he did it and it didn't help.

Depending on what is wrong with the phone, it can be worth a lot for parts too. The screen itself, being that it's original Apple hardware is worth $75+ retail. Assuming everything outside of the charging port is working, a repair shop that knows what they are doing can turn that $200 into $400 with a couple hours (or less) time involved. In fact, have a look at CL in your area. I am willing to bet you will see someone offering to pay cash for broken iPhones. In my area there are always half a dozen or more listings. I assume these are repair shops (or freelancers), not just collectors of busted Apple goods. :)

endofthedream

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2014
If your phone was serviced outside of Apple, don't mention it when you take it in. People are right, if Apple learns you had the phone touched by someone else they are going to deny you and services, including paid services.

It can't hurt to try but I don't think we should get OPs hopes up. When they open the phone at the store (and they will open it, standard procedure for a phone that doesn't power on) and see the battery and dock replaced, they'll know.

But good luck, OP. I say be honest when they ask you if the phone was serviced somewhere else. They wouldn't ask you if they didn't know without a doubt.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
Repair folks...

In my case my phone was stuck in DFU restore mode. I tried everything (even made a thread). Guy bought the phone from me for $250 and contacted me a few hours later to help him remove the iCloud lock. I asked him how he did it and it didn't help.

Depending on what is wrong with the phone, it can be worth a lot for parts too. The screen itself, being that it's original Apple hardware is worth $75+ retail. Assuming everything outside of the charging port is working, a repair shop that knows what they are doing can turn that $200 into $400 with a couple hours (or less) time involved. In fact, have a look at CL in your area. I am willing to bet you will see someone offering to pay cash for broken iPhones. In my area there are always half a dozen or more listings. I assume these are repair shops (or freelancers), not just collectors of busted Apple goods. :)
Repair people usually run repair shops here, and don't seem to get their stuff off Craigslist. And of course there's a large market for stolen goods, but it doesn't go through shops (most of the time) directly.

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
I have had two replaced out of warranty, the first one was about 1 month out and they said usually they will give a 4-6 week buffer with manager approval.

The second one i was out of warranty by about 5 months. The phone kept rebooting for no apparent reason, no water damage confirmed or any other damage was found by the tech on the iphone 5 64gb. He said he was going to restore it in store and make notes on the account about it, then he said to come back the following week as he will be able to see the history in the phone regarding any issues it may be having. This combined with all the other notes on the account about the same problem i had called about over the last couple months he said there is a good chance that they would repalace it out of warranty even though it was past 5 months.

So...the tech tries to restore it in store and it kept giving errors and could complete the process, he could not get it back to the "working" condition that i brought it into the store with. So they had to give me a replacement :D

Funny thing is the only way to get it to fix the constant rebooting was to restore it, which i had to do about 3 times a week for a few weeks. The one time he tried it in store it bricked the phone :d

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I'm surprised nobody mentioned this, but how did your father purchase the iPhone? If it was charged to a credit card with extended warranty coverage (e.g., Amex), the CC company can cover it in the second year and reimburse you the price paid for it.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I'm surprised nobody mentioned this, but how did your father purchase the iPhone? If it was charged to a credit card with extended warranty coverage (e.g., Amex), the CC company can cover it in the second year and reimburse you the price paid for it.

He bought it secondhand from someone else, as mentioned in the OP. I don't think that would be covered, even if he did purchase it with a CC.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
The second one i was out of warranty by about 5 months. The phone kept rebooting for no apparent reason, no water damage confirmed or any other damage was found by the tech on the iphone 5 64gb. He said he was going to restore it in store and make notes on the account about it, then he said to come back the following week as he will be able to see the history in the phone regarding any issues it may be having. This combined with all the other notes on the account about the same problem i had called about over the last couple months he said there is a good chance that they would repalace it out of warranty even though it was past 5 months.

Actually, it should be fixed if it breaks within the warranty period, not if you bring it to the store within the warranty period. Obviously there might be the question of proof... But if the iPhone itself recorded evidence that things went wrong inside the warranty period, then it should get fixed.

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
Actually, it should be fixed if it breaks within the warranty period, not if you bring it to the store within the warranty period. Obviously there might be the question of proof... But if the iPhone itself recorded evidence that things went wrong inside the warranty period, then it should get fixed.

Ya I know, this was 5 months out of warranty like I said

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
We have three Apple stores in my area. All three seem to play by different rules. The largest store is the most lenient. My brother is very hard on his iPhone's. He got the first iPhone 5 he dropped (broken screen) replaced with a new one for free. A few months later he bent that one, again it was replaced for free. It must be Apples fat profit margins, that allows them to do this.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Repair people usually run repair shops here, and don't seem to get their stuff off Craigslist. And of course there's a large market for stolen goods, but it doesn't go through shops (most of the time) directly.

Maybe Boston is a different beast. There are repair shops advertising all of the time. If you care to look, it's just a CL search away. :)

----------

It can't hurt to try but I don't think we should get OPs hopes up. When they open the phone at the store (and they will open it, standard procedure for a phone that doesn't power on) and see the battery and dock replaced, they'll know.

But good luck, OP. I say be honest when they ask you if the phone was serviced somewhere else. They wouldn't ask you if they didn't know without a doubt.

My intention wasn't to get anyone's hopes up. It was simply to point out the smartest way to go about it. Take it in. Say it doesn't work. Hope for the best. At worst he is out the time it took to go to the Apple store and talk to a Genius.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
He bought it secondhand from someone else, as mentioned in the OP. I don't think that would be covered, even if he did purchase it with a CC.

Sorry, I misread and thought the OP got it from his father. Yeah, no chance of getting it covered unless the original buyer is willing to file a claim on the OP's behalf.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.