Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I saw the LG Flex today at the AT&T store. I still don't get the curved display at all. I don't see why I would want it and definitely don't like the 6 inch display. Way to big for a phone. What do you think of the curved display?

penplotter

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2014
I saw the LG Flex today at the AT&T store. I still don't get the curved display at all. I don't see why I would want it and definitely don't like the 6 inch display. Way to big for a phone. What do you think of the curved display?

Will it bend? That's the question

:p

penplotter

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2014
When mobile companies run out of innovations, they start on their list of gimmicks. Samsung seem to be the exception to that - they blend the two, interchangeably.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
I saw one for the first time this past week. The owner had their phone lying on a table, so the curvature was very apparent.

As The Doctor11 noted, the phone looked huge. Focusing specifically on the curvature, though, I thought it made the phone look sloppy and cheap. I have seen photos of the device and always thought that it looked interesting, if not a bit impractical. I suppose the photos made it appear better than in reality.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I think this concept will work better for tablets

I don't. The curve is just stupid. I can not understand why I would ever want a screen curved unless it was a tv but then that becomes extremely stupid as soon as your not directly In front of the tv soooo... I never want a curved screen.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
For a device of this size, a curved screen is pointless. A fully bendable device is more practical.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I don't. The curve is just stupid. I can not understand why I would ever want a screen curved unless it was a tv but then that becomes extremely stupid as soon as your not directly In front of the tv soooo... I never want a curved screen.

Actually, this is not the case. Curved screens allow for additional angles of view with accurate color and pixel representation and less fade across a wider field of view. I also believe the curved TV screen is a necessity for 3D TV (aka 'lifelike') WITHOUT the need for goggles.

Is it good for a phone. Not in my view. I think it is ridiculous. Now a foldable or completely shapeable phone would be cool. Think of a 4" form factor that can fold out to double or quadruple its original size.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
The only cool thing about this phone is that it kinda resembles my old flame:

Nokia-8110-Review.jpg

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
New York
When you can bend it 180 degrees and completely fold it. Then it could be smaller when you fit it in your pocket, maybe 4", but then when you unfold it the screen would be larger.

I'm not turning my smart phone in to a flip phone!!!

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
I'm not turning my smart phone in to a flip phone!!!

Maybe you aren't understanding. Think about the potential in 10+ years where you can turn your smartphone into a tablet. That is what we have to look forward to with bendable screens.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Maybe you aren't understanding. Think about the potential in 10+ years where you can turn your smartphone into a tablet. That is what we have to look forward to with bendable screens.

I guess. But I'm pretty happy with them being diffrent devices.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Curve or not, it's ridiculously large. If you want to see something funny, launch the SMS app on the LG Flex. It's like looking at a 640x480 VGA image blown up to a 50" LCD TV. The text and button boxes enlarge to comic proportions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.