Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donkeycrushr

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
I currently have an att iphone 5 gophone prepaid plan and I want to switch over to my sister's att postpaid family plan. But I was told at the att store that this cannot be done because I cannot port my old number from att prepaid to att postpaid. I would have to get a new number (I want to keep my old number as I have had this number the last 10 years).

Has anyone come across this issue and what can I do to switch to my sister's postpaid plan while keeping my old number? Thanks.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I called att and they told me to go back to the store.

Could be their policy that they do not port prepaid numbers to post paid plans. You may want to ask to speak with the supervisor. Often the stores aren't able to do things that can be done over the phone.

Transfer the number to T-Mobile for a month and then transfer it back to AT&T?

donkeycrushr

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
Could be their policy that they do not port prepaid numbers to post paid plans. You may want to ask to speak with the supervisor. Often the stores aren't able to do things that can be done over the phone.

Transfer the number to T-Mobile for a month and then transfer it back to AT&T?

Yea thanks, that sounds like it could work.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
May seem obvious, but did you try to just give them the number and see what happens? I mean don't mention it's a prepaid AT&T line?

serega

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2007
Seattle
I currently have an att iphone 5 gophone prepaid plan and I want to switch over to my sister's att postpaid family plan. But I was told at the att store that this cannot be done because I cannot port my old number from att prepaid to att postpaid. I would have to get a new number (I want to keep my old number as I have had this number the last 10 years).

Has anyone come across this issue and what can I do to switch to my sister's postpaid plan while keeping my old number? Thanks.

The could do it at ATT store. I switched 3 phones. 2 from Verizon, 1 from ATT prepaid, a reason I didn't port ATT prepaid number because I wouldn't get $100 for switching.

mustafu

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2014
I had the same issue trying to migrate from GoPhone to postpaid. Both in store and porting dept over the phone said it couldn't be done. I ended up porting it out to an old tracfone I had, then porting it back in.

donkeycrushr

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
thanks for the help guys. I ported my number over to T-mobile prepaid waited a day and then ported over to my sister's att post paid account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.