Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Baconstripss

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
Hello guys.

I'm currently traveling in Southeast Asia and had to buy a new charger for my 5S.

I bought a fake lightning cable and used a legit power adapter, I got the pop up message saying the cable was fake, but my phone did charge.

But the touch screen was completely off. I couldn't swipe between screens, clicking sometimes responded, but the phone was almost useless. When removing the charger the phone worked perfectly again.
Now I've bought a legit apple lightning cable, but I'm using a Samsung galaxy power adapter. The same thing happens. But now the touch is completely dead when my phone is charging. Back home in Denmark I've used plenty of different power adapters (same voltage ofc.) with a legit lightning cable with no problems at all. Could it maybe be the rather unstable power network in Southeast Asia that's causing the problem? It has only gotten worse in Myanmar compares to the more evolved Thailand. But then again, when using my legit apple power adapter and lightning cable there's no problem at all..

Do any of you have an explanation and more importantly - should I be worried about my phone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.