Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphone2g&3gfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Orlando, Florida
Hello.

I am in deep trouble. I am using the MAc Mini 2012 and my 1 tb apple hdd has become of gpt type from a conversion from my windows partition, and I am no longer able to boot mac or windows. It just shows efi boot and the cd drive. I am using for now ubuntu from a usb 8gb as my mac allows at least that. My format hdd is like this:

/dev/sda:

/dev/sda2 is an extended partition (fu**) containing a few logicals:

/dev/sda5: Macintosh HD,
/dev/sda6: unknown, is really OSX recovery)
/dev/sda7: my win2kr2 bootcamp partition,
/dev/sda8: No label,is just the ubuntu stuff folder, is no harm.
and unnalocated, 2.49 mb.
I would like to convert sda5,sda6,sda7 to primary partitions, first deleting the extended and keeping the logicals. Is this possible? or am i fried toast? sda8 can either go or stay, preferably stay to see its mysterious contents. So from my knoledge, my operations would fix the problem and allow me to boot into osx and windows? I would also delete the extra mbr table I have in the hard drive as a result of my failed attempts to fix it and create a valid guid partition table. However, right before it happeneed, my 1tb was MBR and successfully booted both OSX and win, for the consecuence of macintosh hd no showing in the startup disk menu, but i could still boot from it, np, So either gimme instructions (please) to do that work and make a valid guid table, or give me help to do the necessary steps i listed and create an mbr, from which i would boot osx or windows and fix the mbr and make a valid guid myself.

I would be smiling for hours if anybody could put my MAc back to working state.

If the guid thing is not possible, i will live with the mbr as the MAc hd no showing in startup disk is absolutely no big deal.

Thank you,

iPhone2G&3GFAN

----------

Hello.

I am in deep trouble. I am using the MAc Mini 2012 and my 1 tb apple hdd has become of gpt type from a conversion from my windows partition, and I am no longer able to boot mac or windows. It just shows efi boot and the cd drive. I am using for now ubuntu from a usb 8gb as my mac allows at least that. My format hdd is like this:

/dev/sda:

/dev/sda2 is an extended partition (fu**) containing a few logicals:

I would like to convert sda5,sda6,sda7 to primary partitions, first deleting the extended and keeping the logicals. Is this possible? or am i fried toast? sda8 can either go or stay, preferably stay to see its mysterious contents. So from my knoledge, my operations would fix the problem and allow me to boot into osx and windows? I would also delete the extra mbr table I have in the hard drive as a result of my failed attempts to fix it and create a valid guid partition table. However, right before it happeneed, my 1tb was MBR and successfully booted both OSX and win, for the consecuence of macintosh hd no showing in the startup disk menu, but i could still boot from it, np, So either gimme instructions (please) to do that work and make a valid guid table, or give me help to do the necessary steps i listed and create an mbr, from which i would boot osx or windows and fix the mbr and make a valid guid myself.

If the guid thing is not possible, i will live with the mbr as the MAc hd no showing in startup disk is absolutely no big deal.

Thank you,

iPhone2G&3GFAN

oh and /dev/sda5 is hfs+,
/dev/sda6 is i dont know, certain that its osx recovery as its 6xx mb, (in size)
/dev/sda7 my ntfs win partition,
/dev/sda8 is fat32. linux almost obviously)

iphone2g&3gfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Orlando, Florida
Hello.

/dev/sda:

/dev/sda2 is an extended partition (fu**) containing a few logicals, (From ubuntu's point of view which sees the extended):

Thank you,

iPhone2G&3GFAN

----------

oh and /dev/sda5 is hfs+,
/dev/sda6 is i dont know, certain that its osx recovery as its 6xx mb, (in size)
/dev/sda7 my ntfs win partition,
/dev/sda8 is fat32. linux almost obviously)

From the Mac OSX point of view (as the previous post was data from ubuntu) it goes like this (Mac os X does not see the extended):
disk0s1:?, 208.7 mbs, exfat
disk0s5 is Macintosh HD, exfat. disk util. lists all of the partitions in my 1tb as being exfat except bootcamp which is ntfs)
disk0s6: OSX Recovery, exfat
disk0s7: bootcamp, ntfs
disk0s8:?, 106.9 mbs, exfat

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
808? has it right above.

Just connect your cloned backup volume, boot to the Mac OS from your backup, and then "go to work" on the internal drive.

You should be able to do this within 3 minutes...

iphone2g&3gfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Orlando, Florida
808? has it right above.

Just connect your cloned backup volume, boot to the Mac OS from your backup, and then "go to work" on the internal drive.

You should be able to do this within 3 minutes...

Yeah that is an option but i would like to try and save my hard disk first. But if all other options are unable to be performed then I will do the access data copy operation. But is there any way to delete that extended partition and convert some or all of the logical partitions inside to primary? Because I would like to repair the Hard drive first before I reinstall and reformat the drive. And the usb hdd I USE is a sata 3gbs connected via sata to a sata to usb cable, and the hdd is powered by a full size pc giving the orange red black yellow yellow connector. And the external hdd i was giving you info about is a samsung 160gb maybe spinpoint.

----------

Why not wipe and start fresh and restore everything from your recent backup?

And I do not make any time machine backup, i forgot.

iphone2g&3gfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Orlando, Florida
Yeah that is an option but i would like to try and save my hard disk first. But if all other options are unable to be performed then I will do the access data copy operation. But is there any way to delete that extended partition and convert some or all of the logical partitions inside to primary? Because I would like to repair the Hard drive first before I reinstall and reformat the drive. And the usb hdd I USE is a sata 3gbs connected via sata to a sata to usb cable, and the hdd is powered by a full size pc giving the orange red black yellow yellow connector. And the external hdd i was giving you info about is a samsung 160gb maybe spinpoint.

----------

And I do not make any time machine backup, i forgot.

I can mount Macintosh Hd from Ubuntu live, but from my external mac os x it is just listed as disk0s1, disk0s5, and so on.

iphone2g&3gfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Orlando, Florida
I can mount Macintosh Hd from Ubuntu live, but from my external mac os x it is just listed as disk0s1, disk0s5, and so on.

Great news, I actually managed to recover my data, doing rpogress copying file)
and I got some 100gb of HArd disk space free, its a successfull mbr, booting osx (not yet) and Win2kr2 installed now. No format required, and now the mac can start on its own without an external. Problem (almost) solved.

thank anybody that helped. How much I owe, you , i dont know but thumbs up everyone/:.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.