Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twinsity

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2011
I have a older macbook pro, Like 2007 Macbook Pro 4.1 right now still running 10.6, 10.6 Seems to be outdated can't upgrade Audio Production Software I'm using thinking of turning to the Darkside and Upgrading my OS.. If I do Take the Gamble any tips?

Should I try?
Upside?
Downside?
Is my Macbook Compatible?
Better yet experiences from a similar laptop maybe?

Ive read bad and good reviews on the fence but my audio production software no longer support 10.6

I have 750hd and 6 gb ram

any opinions?

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I have a older macbook pro, Like 2007 Macbook Pro 4.1 right now still running 10.6, 10.6 Seems to be outdated can't upgrade Audio Production Software I'm using thinking of turning to the Darkside and Upgrading my OS.. If I do Take the Gamble any tips?

Should I try?
Upside?
Downside?
Is my Macbook Compatible?
Better yet experiences from a similar laptop maybe?

Ive read bad and good reviews on the fence but my audio production software no longer support 10.6

any opinions?

Yours might be compatible. The mid to late 2007 models are apparently.

Can you install 8gb of ram, or is 6gb the max? Either way, machines can run mavericks with 4gb.

I'd say it's worth a try. My 2009 MBP seems to run fine, but I don't do anything too taxing with t anymore. I have 8gb of ram and a 500gb drive.

An SSD probably won't improve too much other than boot speed. Especially since the sata connection is limiting. The important spec here is RAM.

twinsity

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2011
I think my macbook is a 08 actually also I think 6gb is max.... I have a matrox dualhead2go it better not mess that up and make it no longer work! haha hmmmm im considering giving it a shot!!!! is it necessary to do the whole clone thing if I try the upgrade

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I think my macbook is a 08 actually also I think 6gb is max.... I have a matrox dualhead2go it better not mess that up and make it no longer work! haha hmmmm im considering giving it a shot!!!! is it necessary to do the whole clone thing if I try the upgrade

A TM backup would work too. It's not necessary, but it's highly advised to do so as a common sense backup (which you should always have regardless of if you're upgrading or not).

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
… Macbook Pro 4.1 right now still running 10.6, 10.6 Seems to be outdated can't upgrade Audio Production Software I'm using thinking of turning to the Darkside and Upgrading my OS.. If I do Take the Gamble any tips?

... but my audio production software no longer support 10.6

Are you really running 10.6 (and not upgraded to 10.6.8 ? )
You would need that 10.6.8 to get the App Store.
… Tips?
make sure you have a full backup before you begin the upgrade.
Do your homework first - to discover if all your main software is compatible with Mavericks, or has compatible updates available.

twinsity

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2011
Mavericks or any point in just upgrading to mountain lion? I have backed up everything on one external hard drive and have another that im cloning to a another external hard drive. If I try to upgrade my os to mavericks and things are not running smoothly is it a hard process to just reboot with my cloned drive and just be as i was before the upgrade?

Marty62

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Berlin formerly London
Mavericks or any point in just upgrading to mountain lion? I have backed up everything on one external hard drive and have another that im cloning to a another external hard drive. If I try to upgrade my os to mavericks and things are not running smoothly is it a hard process to just reboot with my cloned drive and just be as i was before the upgrade?

I have just gone from 10.6.8 to ML 10.8.5 on mac Pro & MBP music systems.

I would really not go to MAV's just yet ... few too many issues.

I have 10.8.5 working really well so I'm "sticking" here for a while.

( Logic 9 / X / Reason 6.5 / Pro Tools 10.3.? and loads of NI / Arturia /etc )

Marty.

twinsity

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2011
man seems mountain lion is no longer even available hahahaha, Geez wonder if I should take the risk... if I just cloned my macbook is it a pretty simple porcess to revert back if mavericks dont work out?
wait think i found mountain lion 20 bones

ASFx

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2008
Mavericks has been the biggest pile of crap. I love Apple, but i've never experienced such a bad release of OS X before. Way too much instability and random weird freezes for me, and they STILL haven't solved all the issues with adding Gmail accounts to Mail.

Marty62

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Berlin formerly London
man seems mountain lion is no longer even available hahahaha, Geez wonder if I should take the risk... if I just cloned my macbook is it a pretty simple porcess to revert back if mavericks dont work out?
wait think i found mountain lion 20 bones

It's still in the app store for €18 so around $20 or so.

I would advise to wait a while on Mavericks !!

M.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Mavericks has been the biggest pile of crap. I love Apple, but i've never experienced such a bad release of OS X before. Way too much instability and random weird freezes for me, and they STILL haven't solved all the issues with adding Gmail accounts to Mail.

I find this statement very puzzling. In fact, Mavericks is the first OS X that seamlessly works with Gmail for me... And I've had much less crashes with it than in Leopard/Slow Leopard days...

twinsity

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2011
Well maybe I will give moutain lion a shot.. Snow lepord has giving me zero problems thus I never messed with it, but now I was thinking of upgrading to reason 7 and my Akai Mpc software no longer supports 10.6.8

Ornstein

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2014
Why not buy a new hard drive, clone your existing setup onto it, install the new hard drive, update to Mavericks? In case Mavericks screws up your setup in some way, you can always switch the original hdd back in.

Qaanol

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Why would you ever want to leave Snow Leopard? Mac OS X 10.6.8 remains the single best operating system ever published.

And why the *heck* would anyone ever choose Mountain Lion over Mavericks? Mavericks is the second-best version of OS X so far.

Barney63

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Bolton, UK.
Why would you ever want to leave Snow Leopard? Mac OS X 10.6.8 remains the single best operating system ever published.

And why the *heck* would anyone ever choose Mountain Lion over Mavericks? Mavericks is the second-best version of OS X so far.
What about Windows 8 :ducksbehindthechair: :p

Barney

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
Mavericks is running fine on my 2009 13" MBP.

The only reason not to upgrade from 10.6.8 is if you have power pc apps that you can't live without. They will no longer run under 10.7, 10.8 or 10.9.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Do either Mavericks or Snow Leopard. Avoid the Lions. They're both awful. Mavericks was the first step in the right direction again.

Lion and Mountain Lion are the Vista of the Mac world. Mavericks is better than either of them.

People will tell you Mavericks uses more RAM, but that's not really true. It uses your spare RAM to make your computer faster, but will give up that RAM to programs as they need it. Still, people misread their RAM monitors and assume Mavericks is a RAM hog.

(Myself, Mavericks is running just fine here. Both Lion and Mountain Lion were worse then 10.6.8. I'm happy with Mavericks.)

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Do either Mavericks or Snow Leopard. Avoid the Lions. They're both awful. Mavericks was the first step in the right direction again.

Lion and Mountain Lion are the Vista of the Mac world. Mavericks is better than either of them.

People will tell you Mavericks uses more RAM, but that's not really true. It uses your spare RAM to make your computer faster, but will give up that RAM to programs as they need it. Still, people misread their RAM monitors and assume Mavericks is a RAM hog.

(Myself, Mavericks is running just fine here. Both Lion and Mountain Lion were worse then 10.6.8. I'm happy with Mavericks.)

Who says Mavericks uses more RAM? It's an total improvement. Also people misreading Activity Monitor is nothing new to Mavericks, if anything it's better with it adding the memory pressure indicator.

drenline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
Why not buy a new hard drive, clone your existing setup onto it, install the new hard drive, update to Mavericks? In case Mavericks screws up your setup in some way, you can always switch the original hdd back in.

my thoughts exactly^

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007

Snow Leopard > Mountain Lion > Mavericks > Lion

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.