Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theslaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2009
Calgary; Alberta; Canada
I have an extensive collection of movies on my hard drives in many different formats. I would like to copy some to a Dvd for a relative of mine that is going to be living in a 5th wheel for the summer. The Dvds have to be playable in a Dvd player. Need to know what format has to be used and maybe a recommendation as to what program to use. The relative does not have a computer that they can take with them. A Tv and Dvd player is what they have to work with.
I did experiment by copying four movies in .avi format. They did copy; but of course the Dvd player did not recognise them.

Thanks in advance

Nov 28, 2010
located
How to burn a video DVD in [URL="http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html"]Burn[/URL]:
example below uses an .avi file, but it can also be applied to an .mp4 or .mov file

BURN_video-dvd_1.png

BURN_video-dvd_2.png

BURN_video-dvd_3.png

BURN_video-dvd_4.png

theslaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2009
Calgary; Alberta; Canada
Thanks for your prompt reply.
I actually have that program and that is what I burnt my experimental Dvd with. However, when I tried it in my Dvd player; I got a message that the files were not recognized. I may have done something wrong; and I will try with your instructions to see if I can get it to work.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Thanks for your prompt reply.
I actually have that program and that is what I burnt my experimental Dvd with. However, when I tried it in my Dvd player; I got a message that the files were not recognized. I may have done something wrong; and I will try with your instructions to see if I can get it to work.

You have burnt a DATA DVD and not a VIDEO DVD as pictured in my post.

theslaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2009
Calgary; Alberta; Canada
What format do these files have to be for "Burn" not to have to convert them? Every file I drag over has to be converted! Very time consuming; and the one file I did convert increased in size by 1 Gig!

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
What format do these files have to be for "Burn" not to have to convert them? Every file I drag over has to be converted! Very time consuming; and the one file I did convert increased in size by 1 Gig!

MPEG-2 is the format used by DVDs - there isn't a real practical way to keep (or play) these files on a hard drive, hence the conversion. The only way I've seen it working is by having the VIDEO_TS folder from an existing DVD ready to go and then burning it with Toast or Disco.

theslaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2009
Calgary; Alberta; Canada
I experimented with vob files and they do work in "Burn". Converting to vob files is quick and they remain about the same size. I'm using a program called "WinX HD Video Converter for Mac". What I like about it is that it is fast and you can do a batch. I'm converting 40 files as we speak. I will use "Burn" to burn them if I can figure out how to build the menus! If I can't do menus; tha I will try "Toast".

Thanks

theslaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2009
Calgary; Alberta; Canada
I wound up using "Toast Titanium"; as it has way more options for making menus. Works! Takes about 1 hour to burn two movies on 1 DVD. Only got 18 hours to go!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.