Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Mar 31, 2014, 09:09 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

AnyFont Allows iOS Users to Install Custom Fonts for Use in a Variety of Apps

AnyFont, a recently released app from developer Florian Schimanke (via TUAW) allows iOS users to install custom TrueType and OpenType fonts to an iOS device for use in a multiple applications, such as Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.

According to the developer, the fonts are installed to an iOS device via a configuration profile after being added to an app's storage in iTunes, which is a new feature introduced with iOS 7.

Quote:
[AnyFont] takes the fonts that are added to the app's storage by the user via iTunes file sharing or the 'Open in...' dialog and creates a configuration profile from it so it can be installed on the device. AnyFont hands over the newly created profile to Safari which then takes the user to the installation process. When finished, the user is then taken back to AnyFont.
To use the app, .ttf or .otf font files must be installed to the AnyFont app using iTunes. Alternatively, fonts can be installed via Dropbox or Mail, by opening a file in those respective apps and choosing the "Open in..." option for AnyFont.

Once a font is added to the AnyFont app, a single tap will install it to a configuration profile on the device, which then allows the font to be used within other apps in the font selection menus.

While this is handy for creating documents on iOS devices with fonts that are typically unavailable on iOS devices, it is also useful for viewing documents or presentations created on a Mac or PC, as fonts can be preserved. The developer has created a tutorial that explains the entire font installation process, which is fairly easy using Dropbox:

AnyFont can be downloaded from the App Store for $1.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: AnyFont Allows iOS Users to Install Custom Fonts for Use in a Variety of Apps
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2014, 09:10 PM   #2
xdxdaustin
macrumors regular

Why do I feel like Apple won't let this stay too long in the App Store....
xdxdaustin is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2014, 09:16 PM   #3
theanimaster
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdxdaustin View Post
Why do I feel like Apple won't let this stay too long in the App Store....

EXACTLY~! Which is why I just bought it without a second thought! I was itching for this long ago and BOOM -- there it is! Get it before it goes!
theanimaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2014, 09:17 PM   #4
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

The best two dollars I have ever spent on the App Store. Working great with Noteshelf on my iPad. Installing some more to use in Pages and my other apps across my devices.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 09:19 PM   #5
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Can somebody test if these new fonts work with the newly released Microsoft Office for iPad?

Last edited by haruhiko; Apr 1, 2014 at 02:47 AM.
haruhiko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2014, 09:21 PM   #6
csixty4
macrumors regular

The programmer behind this is a user here & first mentioned it a month ago. There's been at least one upgrade approved since then. I can't see Apple cracking down on it since it's using a feature they built for things like this. I just wish more apps used the OS font APIs so they could use the installed fonts.
csixty4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2014, 09:27 PM   #7
rbooth78
macrumors newbie

Word

Does not work with the new iPad Word Office 365 App.
rbooth78 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2014, 09:27 PM   #8
rorschach
macrumors 68000

You can do this for free already with the Configurator app; I guess this just makes it easier.
rorschach is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2014, 09:27 PM   #9
rbooth78
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko View Post
Can somebody test if these new fonts works with the newly released Microsoft Office for iPad?
No
rbooth78 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2014, 09:39 PM   #10
pietrociao
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorschach View Post
You can do this for free already with the Configurator app; I guess this just makes it easier.
Is that an app available on the App Store? Or how do you do it?
pietrociao is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2014, 09:44 PM   #11
csixty4
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrociao View Post
Is that an app available on the App Store? Or how do you do it?
It's in the Mac App Store. It's a program for managing iOS devices, especially when you need a whole bunch of them configured with the same apps and policies at the same time (like a school or corporation).

I'd say AnyFont is better for regular users because it does just one thing, and it does it on the iOS device itself.
csixty4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2014, 10:04 PM   #12
japanime
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Exactly. Also, Configurator is pretty easy to use itself, can do a whole lot more than just install fonts, and is made by Apple.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 11:05 PM   #13
jeremysteele
macrumors 6502

Wow, this is actually handy. Didn't even realize this was possible thanks to iOS 7. Guess it is one of those "other" features Apple doesn't really talk about, but is immensely useful.
jeremysteele is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2014, 11:17 PM   #14
Parasprite
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I know OS X OS's tend to have extensive issues when bad or duplicate fonts get installed *cough* using any version of Mac Office *cough*, do you know if this is the case for installing fonts within iOS?
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:16 AM   #15
disinfectant
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to disinfectant
Once the fonts are installed to a configuration profile on the device, can you then delete the app?
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:31 AM   #16
ThunderSkunk
macrumors 68000

Oh my. Something other than freakin helvetica on the iPad?

Apple's not going to stand for this, no sir.
ThunderSkunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 01:05 AM   #17
Amadeo
macrumors member

I've never bought an app so fast in my life.
Amadeo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 02:46 AM   #18
schimanke
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by disinfectant View Post
Once the fonts are installed to a configuration profile on the device, can you then delete the app?
Yes, you can. The fonts stay installed as long as the configuration profiles stay installed.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko View Post
Can somebody test if these new fonts works with the newly released Microsoft Office for iPad?
Currently not. But I am already in talks with Microsoft and they have promised to add this feature soon.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbooth78 View Post
Does not work with the new iPad Word Office 365 App.
Currently not. But I am already in talks with Microsoft and they have promised to add this feature soon.
schimanke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 07:48 AM   #19
CTgreen
macrumors newbie

Is custom fonts really a new thing for iOS devices?

I'm still waiting on Swype-like functionality before I jump the Android ship. Guess I'll be waiting a while. =/

I throughly love my other Apple products, but there's just no way I can go back to hunt-and-peck style tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap *pause* tap tap tap *pause* tap tap tap tap tap tapping on a tiny on-screen keyboard. Not for my phone.
CTgreen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 07:59 AM   #20
RightMACatU
macrumors 6502a

Custom fonts for iOS!? No way? It's only 2014!
Must be an April Fools thing
RightMACatU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:16 PM   #21
ZOZO139434371
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTgreen View Post
Is custom fonts really a new thing for iOS devices?

I'm still waiting on Swype-like functionality before I jump the Android ship. Guess I'll be waiting a while. =/

I throughly love my other Apple products, but there's just no way I can go back to hunt-and-peck style tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap *pause* tap tap tap *pause* tap tap tap tap tap tapping on a tiny on-screen keyboard. Not for my phone.
It isn't new. However, most people probably didn't know how till this app came around, or even more likely, didn't care, since iOS has every font I've ever seen used in any professional setting. It even has Zapfino. Love that font.
ZOZO139434371 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 01:53 PM   #22
tbrinkma
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOZO139434371 View Post
It isn't new. However, most people probably didn't know how till this app came around, or even more likely, didn't care, since iOS has every font I've ever seen used in any professional setting. It even has Zapfino. Love that font.
I'm grabbing this because I've got a non-standard, specialty font, with specific symbols that I need to use on occasion. Being able to tweak the Pages document(s) in question while away from my Mac will be handy.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 02:46 PM   #23
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderSkunk View Post

The standard package of fonts on iOS contains a lot more than freakin helvetica, but the ability to add others is very useful. I had no idea that it was possible before using the Configurator app from Apple (and now this one).

----------

Quote:
I downloaded Configurator but can't configurate how to install fonts. What am I missing?
Old Apr 1, 2014, 04:08 PM   #24
CrazyForApple
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to CrazyForApple
Apple should make there own kind of this
CrazyForApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 04:27 PM   #25
dannys1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderSkunk View Post

Ive got

Helvetica
Helvetica Neue
Helvetica World
Helvetica Light
Helvetica Condensed
Helvetica Bold
Helvetica Ultra Light

Where can I find this "Freakin Helvetica" you talk about?

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion