Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rumui

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
I have the iPhone5 and I love what I have, but the S5 seems pretty awesome too. I really love iPhone, but in the meantime I don’t want to get too attached to it, so I am thinking of springing for a phone with the capability of replacing extended batteries. I do feel more secure holding my friend’s S4 with his mpj extended battery.
To be fair, is it worth the switch from iPhone5 to Galaxy S5?

UKapple

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2012
I'm in a similar position although my contract isn't up until October (I have an iphone 5 and the renewal time will coincide with the new iphone release). I really like the GS4 and always find myself playing around with one when passing phone shops.

The GS5 looks a really worthwhile phone although that back it has is a real negative, just not nice at all. I know people say a lot of the features are gimmicky but when you have a phone for nearly 2 years on contract sometimes you need those things to stop you getting bored.

I like my iphone 5 but it just feels a bit boring now. I really hope apple brings something special to the table in September. If it turns out to be just the usual slightly quicker processor, enhanced camera, 0.111mm thinner then I think I will be jumping ship to samsung just for a change. Gonna be a wait tho just to see what apple turn out before deciding.

I don't think you would go wrong with a GS5 tho, my dad has the GS4 and it's quite an impressive and cool phone.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
No one can answer your question OP other than yourself as something's worth is based purely on a persons subjective opinion and environmental influence (price/affordability/desire to change).

Basically if you fancy a change and can afford to do so - then do so, but just be aware that whilst the grass sometimes seems greener in the other field, often it's still just grass albeit a different shade.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
This is a journey I'm realizing that every Avid iPhone user has to take IMO, whether it be sooner or later.

It's something about the rock solid performance of an iPhone that can rock us to sleep.

I took my 15 month hiatus away from iPhone in the form of the Galaxy S3 & S4 and in all honesty, it only made me appreciate the iPhone more.

So go ahead, do what your curiosity requires... just don't too suprised when you're ready to come back in a year or so.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
You interested at all in the Iphone 6 regardless of your criteria ? If not, then maybe.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
In my 6 months of S4 usage, there is very little I miss about the iPhone.

I do miss the simplicity of syncing/backing up with iTunes.
I do miss that speedy-focus camera.
I do miss a couple of things about Siri.

Otherwise? Nothing else, really. And the Galaxy S5's camera is getting rave reviews.

If you are that tempted, then just try it. Give it at least 10 days of solid use. Then if you don't like it, go back to iPhone.

I actually had a Nexus 5 for a week and really liked it but ending up sending it back to Google. Then got a cheap S4. Really happy with it.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I used to be an android / iOS flip-flopper but since 4.0 came out there is no comparison IMO - Android just works better for me. The last iPhone I had was a 4S (I had an original, 3G, 3GS and 4 before that) and I can't imagine getting another one now.

My daughter has just moved to a Z1 compact from a 4S and while I was setting it up for her I had a play with her 4S and couldn't believe how clunky iOS feels compared to Android (no back button, settings scattered all over the place and functionality was just too limited), and I no longer have to have the mess that is iTunes installed on my computer!

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Yes, do it.

Just be aware that it's somewhat of a shock to the system moving from iOS to Android w/ TouchWiz. Take a deep breath and rip that **** out (or cover temporarily with Nova), customise it how you like then never look back.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
So far, I think so. I've had the S5 for about 48hrs (It replaced my iPhone 5S).

The transition was smooth and the S5 has been impressively smooth and responsive, and with only a few quirks. It's a much better product than the S4 was at launch.

Samsung has tweaked and improved rather than overhauled Touchwiz and it shows a good level of maturity and stability that was missing from the S3 and S4 (The S2 was actually very good, especially the Sprint version.)

I still have my iPhone 5S and I will switch back in a heartbeat if things go sour. While I thought the S3 was crap and the S4 was disappointing, I do find that I am pleased in the key areas of performance, stability and user experience.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
It's arguably the best phone on the market so sure it would be worth it. Depends on your personal needs

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
This is a journey I'm realizing that every Avid iPhone user has to take IMO, whether it be sooner or later.

It's something about the rock solid performance of an iPhone that can rock us to sleep.

I took my 15 month hiatus away from iPhone in the form of the Galaxy S3 & S4 and in all honesty, it only made me appreciate the iPhone more.

So go ahead, do what your curiosity requires... just don't too suprised when you're ready to come back in a year or so.

Hilarious but so true.

I think the switch is much easier if you were never particularly invested in the iOS ecosystem. But once you start buying movies on iTunes, books in ibooks, iOS-specific apps, and your friends/family start using iMessage and FaceTime, it becomes very difficult to leave. The stickiness of the iOS ecosystem is quite incredible.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012

Yea I went from the iphone 5 to the note 2 to the s4. Making these switches over a 6-9 month period just made me realize how much I missed the iphone.

There's something to be said in how smooth, solid, aesthetically pleasing the iphone is. It just feels like iOS is much more polished and smooth than when I tried the s4 and note 2.

I'm sure the s5 is a great device and I really like how it is waterproof. But I just couldn't stand that touch wiz OS over the android OS. And for friends that are out of contract I always suggest the nexus 5 as it looks like a decent device for the price.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I myself don't switch from my JB'n iPhone5 + Nokia 808 combo:

- The JB on my iPhone5 allows for a lot of features, incl. ones (e.g., Skype recording) not available on Android

- The camera on the 808 is definitely far superior to that of the S5 WRT sill images.

Hope the Note 4 and/or the iPhone 6 will give us optical image stabilization (and a lot other goodies). Until then, I'll stick with this pair of phones.

saldawop

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2007
I was an iPhone user. Had every model up to and including the 5.
I had previously dabbled with other phones, WP7 and Android, but always went back to the iPhone.
It was the Galaxy S3 that finally hooked me, then a few months later the Note 2(and now the Note 3). I did have a brief encounter with the iPhone 5, but it didnt last long.I don't think I could ever go back to it again,I love the Note series .It will take something special to tempt me away, and I just don't think that will be the iPhone, although I would never say never.That depends on what they do with it.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
After stints with the S4 and now the S5, I'm looking to get back into a 5S ASAP!!! Tired of all of the little quirks of Android.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

This is actually great advice. I also switched to various Android devices over about a year and a half period and it helped me appreciate both platforms. You can ask dozens of people their opinion and will get dozen's of different opinions but until you try it yourself, you'll never truly know, especially considering all of our needs and preferences are so different.

So as others have suggested, go ahead and try an Android device (assuming you can return your device if not satisfied) and make sure you give it the full duration of your return window before deciding, as you will most certainly experience some growing pains and a learning curve. For every person on these forums who've gone back to an iPhone, there's another you realized they liked using Android more.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
After stints with the S4 and now the S5, I'm looking to get back into a 5S ASAP!!! Tired of all of the little quirks of Android.

Quirks is the appropriate description. Android just does strange things at times, and you need to be aware of it and prepared to deal with it if you intend on being satisfied on any level.

Thus far though the S5 is very good, and coming from me that is high praise.

The S4 I had was basically a debacle from day one and I was back with the iPhone in about 2 months.

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
It's just Tech

I have the iPhone5 and I love what I have, but the S5 seems pretty awesome too. I really love iPhone, but in the meantime I don’t want to get too attached to it, so I am thinking of springing for a phone with the capability of replacing extended batteries. I do feel more secure holding my friend’s S4 with his mpj extended battery.

I am a recent switcher and I can tell you that all these guys have valid opinions. I like the S5 lots, it is different, but not worse than the iPhone. I don't know what the future will bring but for now I am happy with the S5. I am on ATT and I opted for the Next 12 plan, if I hate it, I am only stuck for 12 months, and stuck with a great phone. So I encourage you to look at both and give it a try, you may find that you like it you may find you like iOS better, it depends. Most carriers give you a trial period to try out the new hardware, nothing to risk.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
What I'm realizing now is that I like Android quite a bit, but the hardware and Samsung´s Touchwiz leave much to be desired. The phone is to difficult to use one handed and there are quirks about the UI that probably aren't in stock Android. Android itself is quite wonderful if I may say so myself. It's come a long way. But this Samsung is going back to the store.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^ @thelookingglass sounds like something like the Moto x would have been far more up your streak. Not that much bigger physically than the iPhone despite a .7" bigger screen and its quite the fast performer and near stock android but with enhancements over stock android.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
^ @thelookingglass sounds like something like the Moto x would have been far more up your streak. Not that much bigger physically than the iPhone despite a .7" bigger screen and its quite the fast performer and near stock android but with enhancements over stock android.

Yeah, that's what I'm starting to realize as well. Although the problem with hardware on the Android side is that no single manufacturer can produce anything iphone-like except for HTC. And HTC decided for whatever reason to put a crappy camera in their flagship, so that won't fly for me either. The Moto X seems like a decent alternative, but the battery life isn't good enough.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

Not easy to answer your question ....
Is the S5 better than your iPhone 5? It is, being almost two years newer.
But how tied are you to Apple ecosystem ? There are chances that you are going to regret this switch in 5 months.

----------

At the end of the day, Moto X seems to be the best droid of the last year.
But it lacks the marketing appeal of Samsung's flagships so its sales aren't so good.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Not easy to answer your question ....
Is the S5 better than your iPhone 5? It is, being almost two years newer.
But how tied are you to Apple ecosystem ? There are chances that you are going to regret this switch in 5 months.

----------

At the end of the day, Moto X seems to be the best droid of the last year.
But it lacks the marketing appeal of Samsung's flagships so its sales aren't so good.

That's for sure. The s5 is an inferior device to other phones on the market but will most likely be neck and neck with the iPhone for most sales. Samsung's marketing might is spectacular.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.