Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myth2ks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
Hey Guys!

I am new to the forum, so be gentle with me for I do not know the rules.

I have been waiting for an apple tv 3 jailbreak for quite a while now, since I do not want to pay for a ridiculous amount for an apple tv 2. I saw a recent post posted on March 17 about an apple tv 3 jailbreak but I am not sure if it's a legit site or if anyone has tried it (Link below).

http://www.grafischbedrijf.com/how-to-jailbreak-apple-tv-3/

I know there is jailbreakerappletv3.com, but there softwares are priced and lot of people are saying it is a scam. If the site above is a scam or doesnt work, I am thinking about just jailbreaking my ipad2 and just mirroring xbmc to at3. So is guidemyjailbreak.com a good site to do it?

HenryLong

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
Germany
Hey Guys!

I am new to the forum, so be gentle with me for I do not know the rules.

I have been waiting for an apple tv 3 jailbreak for quite a while now, since I do not want to pay for a ridiculous amount for an apple tv 2. I saw a recent post posted on March 17 about an apple tv 3 jailbreak but I am not sure if it's a legit site or if anyone has tried it (Link below).

http://www.grafischbedrijf.com/how-to-jailbreak-apple-tv-3/

I know there is jailbreakerappletv3.com, but there softwares are priced and lot of people are saying it is a scam. If the site above is a scam or doesnt work, I am thinking about just jailbreaking my ipad2 and just mirroring xbmc to at3. So is guidemyjailbreak.com a good site to do it?

There's still no JB for ATV3.

http://support.firecore.com/entries/387605-Jailbreaking-101-Seas0nPass

1984world

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2008
I like apple tv3 just the way it is, the only feature I would like is to be able to use folders for my media. I have probably around 15 tb of media on my main computer and can't put it all in itunes because I would have to scroll forever. Also, locking certain folders would be an awesome addition (ie. allow the kids to access itunes media but restrict certain folders).

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
Ok, for the people that knows a little more about jailbreaks and the status of them from the likes of musclenerd etc.

It's been two years since Apple TV 3, so, how likely is a Jailbreak for ATV3 or will they hold whatever they have found until an Apple TV 4?

Thanks.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Ok, for the people that knows a little more about jailbreaks and the status of them from the likes of musclenerd etc.

It's been two years since Apple TV 3, so, how likely is a Jailbreak for ATV3 or will they hold whatever they have found until an Apple TV 4?

Thanks.

Highly unlucky. They say it'll never be jailbroken. The Apple TV 1 and 2 were jailbroken with a bootrom exploit

1984world

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2008
Apparently out of the 7 billion people on earth, nobody is smart enough to discover a way to jailbreak the Apple TV3. This round, Apple wins. Heres hoping for an Apple TV4 jailbreak when it comes out.

cydiawater

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2014
Canada

Both are scams. If you really want an app that works for TV, try to use Cydia and look for a reliable repo http://topcydiasources.com/top-10-cydia-sources/. There are at least 3 Cydia tweaks related to TV program. :)

bobdamnit

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2014
Can confirm that this does not work on the ATV3. I downloaded it to my Mac and opened the package with Pacifist. It basically installs the "Omnibar" to Safari if your in OS X and in Internet Explorer if your on Windows.

It may (and probably does) do worse, but I haven't ran it through an anti-virus yet. I'd stay away from it.

ivandr

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
Can confirm that this does not work on the ATV3. I downloaded it to my Mac and opened the package with Pacifist. It basically installs the "Omnibar" to Safari if your in OS X and in Internet Explorer if your on Windows.

It may (and probably does) do worse, but I haven't ran it through an anti-virus yet. I'd stay away from it.

Nothing to confirm. There is no jailbreak for ATV3. Period. If and when there is, there will be many many articles across the tech web talking about it. Until then, downloading and running packages claiming to do a jailbreak is risky at best and stupid at worst.

bobdamnit

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2014
Nothing to confirm.

Nothing to confirm? As far as anyone knew, it never got reviewed and nobody here bothered to try it. I didn't try it, just opened it with Pacifist enough to see what it does. Nobody here was nice enough to even give half the information I did.

Sorry for providing somewhat useful information for anyone else looking at the thread. I'll just let anyone download and install it to their Mac without knowing what it does, eh?

Until then, downloading and running packages claiming to do a jailbreak is risky at best and stupid at worst.
I appreciate your concern, but if you had read my post you'd know that I did not just install it willy-nilly. I used Pacifist to open the pkg installer and view what it actually installs. I then came here to provide details into what the installer actually does and why you shouldn't try it.

Again, perhaps I shouldn't do this any longer?

lexdiamonnyc

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2012
NYC
Not a solution for playing iTunes purchased TV shows and movies.
Unfortunately that's your only choice if you want XBMC/KODI.

I've demoted my ATV3 to kid duties, it's still great for Netflix, Hulu, PBS Kids, etc....

My Fire TV Box handles all the grown up entertainment.

i1280

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2012
I kinda feel the same way...it's a shame it has to be that way...a jail broken fire stick is well worth the $40 you pay for it...well,worth the coin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.