Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Asator

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2011
Australia
I feel like now is the best time for us jailbreakers! I feel like now we are at the height of tweak innovation and creativity.

A lot of the time we are waiting on upgrades for tweaks and then apple releases another firmware and we are back to square one.

It's kind of a never ending circle that in a way becomes tiresome. I remember being on 6.1.3 and I was finally content with my setup and then the race is on again with another update.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
No, we are not at the peak.

I think with iOS 7 brought a new fresh look to jailbreaking, I think that has contributed to the upside to the jailbreak community. It's just as a factor when developers were updating and creating apps for the AppStore.

And from tweaks like ProWidget & the upcoming Auxo 2, there's amazing things happening. And hopefully great widgets like a YouTube or Music widgets get developed for ProWidget, some awesome developer might make that a reality.

Of course, there's tweaks that need updating. But the beauty of creating something that no one thought to think or what people are clamoring for is what the appeal to jailbreaking. I honestly wish Quasar gets some type of overhaul and implemented for iOS 7. :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
No, we are not at the peak.

I think with iOS 7 brought a new fresh look to jailbreaking, I think that has contributed to the upside to the jailbreak community. It's just as a factor when developers were updating and creating apps for the AppStore.

And from tweaks like ProWidget & the upcoming Auxo 2, there's amazing things happening. And hopefully great widgets like a YouTube or Music widgets get developed for ProWidget, some awesome developer might make that a reality.

Of course, there's tweaks that need updating. But the beauty of creating something that no one thought to think or what people are clamoring for is what the appeal to jailbreaking. I honestly wish Quasar gets some type of overhaul and implemented for iOS 7. :)

If you're right then I have to laugh. Not at you but at what was going on here at MR before the first iOS 7 jailbreak release.

There was a bunch of opinion stating about how jailbreakng was dead and that iOS 7 was all anyone needed and lots of people being unsure about jailbreaking because of that. And now?

Amazing how it turns. Seems to be stronger than ever.

Side topic. I find it interesting that a lot of iOS 7 tweaks are attempts to restore either the functionality or appearance of iOS 6. I'm still jailbroken on iOS 6.1 so I don't get this. Why go to iOS 7 and then when a jailbreak comes make it look and function like iOS 6? Wouldn't it have been easier and less disruptive to stay on iOS 6?

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Every generation believes their's is the generation that will witness the return of Christ/the Rapture and every generation believes their's is the generation that witnessed the best and finest tweaks developers have had to offer.

Neither is accurate.

1984world

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2008
If you're right then I have to laugh. Not at you but at what was going on here at MR before the first iOS 7 jailbreak release.

There was a bunch of opinion stating about how jailbreakng was dead and that iOS 7 was all anyone needed and lots of people being unsure about jailbreaking because of that. And now?

Side topic. I find it interesting that a lot of iOS 7 tweaks are attempts to restore either the functionality or appearance of iOS 6. I'm still jailbroken on iOS 6.1 so I don't get this. Why go to iOS 7 and then when a jailbreak comes make it look and function like iOS 6? Wouldn't it have been easier and less disruptive to stay on iOS 6?

I would have definitely preferred ios 6, if apps were all made backwards compatible. The only thing software wise that I really like in ios 7 is control center. I find that I personally use it quite often. The rest of the ui looks like a unicorn puked out a rainbow.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas

Definitely agree with you there.

I was unsure about iOS 7 when I first saw it. I was at odd whether I should be into it or not. But when I had used the beta version of it... played with it and everything. I found myself enjoying it, and it's crazy iOS 6 seems prehistoric to me.

But I can't wrap my head around tweaks that adds iOS 6 functionality to iOS 7.

alkalifly

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2004
Why go to iOS 7 and then when a jailbreak comes make it look and function like iOS 6? Wouldn't it have been easier and less disruptive to stay on iOS 6?

But I can't wrap my head around tweaks that adds iOS 6 functionality to iOS 7.

I can think of a two reasons for this:

1. Some people were forced to iOS 7 either because they got a new device (my iPhone 4 finally gave out, so I got a 5S) or perhaps had an iOS 6 installation that went south and forced them to restore

2. Some people may have voluntarily upgraded to iOS 7 to maintain app compatibility or because on the whole, they prefer iOS 7's new features even if it meant sacrificing some of what they preferred about earlier versions, and are grateful for the opportunity to regain some of what they sacrificed.

Doesn't seem like that much of a mystery to need to wrap one's head around

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I can think of a two reasons for this:

1. Some people were forced to iOS 7 either because they got a new device (my iPhone 4 finally gave out, so I got a 5S) or perhaps had an iOS 6 installation that went south and forced them to restore

2. Some people may have voluntarily upgraded to iOS 7 to maintain app compatibility or because on the whole, they prefer iOS 7's new features even if it meant sacrificing some of what they preferred about earlier versions, and are grateful for the opportunity to regain some of what they sacrificed.

Doesn't seem like that much of a mystery to need to wrap one's head around
I meant more by choice. There were a lot of threads here on MR when iOS 7 was finally released. "It's great, it's wonderful," and so on. Some of those people went on to jailbreak and some of those jailbreakers have probably installed tweaks that bring back parts of iOS 6 on their device. Why? If iOS 7 was go great and wonderful, just why? One poster who had come off just jailbreaking wanted to know where the Winterboard theme for complete iOS 6 replacement of iOS 7 was!

I get it based on the points you mention. Once you've upgraded, you can't go back and if you have no choice in the matter that's one thing. But I don't understand those who said they really liked iOS 7, but go and jailbreak it to make it more like iOS 6. Where is the sense in that?

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks

app support is dying for iOS 6.x.x...

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
app support is dying for iOS 6.x.x...
Nevermind, I get what you meant now.

Yeah, support is dying. So I guess it comes down to how important iOS 7 is to you. It's not so important to me to move to a unicorn puke inspired OS just to get a new Facebook app or some other app I can do without to work.

Maybe if my banking app stops working or my Starbucks app maybe. But then the new Starbucks app is iOS 6 too.

I can see that for others though that need iOS 7 but want to stay on iOS 6.

Last edited:

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
Nevermind, I get what you meant now.

Yeah, support is dying. So I guess it comes down to how important iOS 7 is to you. It's not so important to me to move to a unicorn puke inspired OS just to get a new Facebook app or some other app I can do without to work.

Maybe if my banking app stops working or my Starbucks app maybe. But then the new Starbucks app is iOS 6 too.

I can see that for others though that need iOS 7 but want to stay on iOS 6.

well the reason i updated is also because for one, i will be forced into iOS 8 when i get the iPhone 6, so i figured, might as well get use to the new design. i immediately jailbroke after updating, and immediately regretted it. but i had to get my phone replaced anyways and that one had iOS 7 on it so i didn't have a choice. i do miss iOS 6 though.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
well the reason i updated is also because for one, i will be forced into iOS 8 when i get the iPhone 6, so i figured, might as well get use to the new design. i immediately jailbroke after updating, and immediately regretted it. but i had to get my phone replaced anyways and that one had iOS 7 on it so i didn't have a choice. i do miss iOS 6 though.
I don't sell my phones when I get new ones (not saying you do, I don't know if you do or not) so for me it's a matter of this is my primary phone until I get the iPhone 6. I can deal with all of that once I get the new phone, but for now I'll keep it at 6.1 on the phone I am currently using.

I had given serious thought to upgrading, but I just really did not find any big motivating factor for me. Short of having to restore or my iPhone being replaced I'll stay here. Although, my chances, I think, of the Apple store having a 64GB black iPhone for Sprint that has iOS 6 on it are probably 50-50.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.