Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Apr 1, 2014, 06:47 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

New Details on Razer's 'Kazuyo' Controller Reveal Remappable Buttons, Slim Design, Companion App

New details on Razer’s Kazuyo controller have been shared by MacFormat, giving insight on the accessory’s unique features, including fully remappable buttons and a slim hard-shell case design. Although not pictured, the report also suggests that the final version of the controller will come with full-sized analog sticks for enhanced control.

While photos of the accessory were originally leaked last month, the controller appears to have gone through a slight redesign since then, now featuring a more rounded design which appears to surround an iOS device with a more secure fit.

Furthermore, the report also notes that Razer will ship an accompanying app with its controller that will act as a storefront for compatible games and allow users to tweak various settings, namely button assignments and sensitivity. The app will also be able to act as a unified interface for a user’s purchased games and offer promotions and listings for special deals.

The Razer Kazuyo will join a growing market of iOS game controllers, which currently includes the SteelSeries Stratus, Logitech PowerShell and MOGA Ace Power, and will soon include Mad Catz’s C.T.R.L.i controller as of later this month.

At the current point in time, multiple games offer iOS 7 controller support, including titles like Rayman Fiesta Run, Bastion, and Asphalt 8: Airborne. Additional developers have also pledged to build controller support into their apps now that hardware is available to consumers, as more iOS games appear to be receiving updates that enable it.

Article Link: New Details on Razer's 'Kazuyo' Controller Reveal Remappable Buttons, Slim Design, Companion App
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 06:50 AM   #2
Lionel Messi
macrumors member

No pricing info? It better be less than $60 or else it won't be feasible for all.

Since I already have the money, I don't really care about pricing but this is just because of my interest.
Lionel Messi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 07:03 AM   #3
Sky Blue

looks nice but won't be worth it for 5 months, as it doesn't look like it'll fit the new phones.
Sky Blue is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 07:09 AM   #4
Ivan0310
macrumors member

Am I missing something here?

Why are so many of these products being designed without analog sticks?

I realize that's an added layer of complexity and cost, but some games would truly benefit from the addition I'm sure.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 07:46 AM   #5
silvetti
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan0310 View Post

I realize that's an added layer of complexity and cost, but some games would truly benefit from the addition I'm sure.
I see no point in a controller without analog sticks.
Until they release a decent one with analog sticks and bluetooth instead of snap in mechanisms I'm staying away from this.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 08:23 AM   #6
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:

I think the key is that only some games would benefit from it. Personally, I mostly play 2D platformer style games so a few buttons is all I need. Prior to 3D games taking off with the N64 and PS1, remember that most consoles didn't have joysticks (the NES, SNES, and Jaguar all lacked them, as did SEGA's early consoles).
ArtOfWarfare is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 08:35 AM   #7
m0dest
macrumors newbie

Quote:

This is a really good question.

It looks like Apple's gamepad rules ("Requirements for Games That Support Game Controllers") might be too restrictive. If an iOS game wants to support a thumbstick, the developer has to support all 3 cases: (a) no gamepad, (b) standard gamepad without thumbstick, and (c) extended gamepad with 2 thumbsticks. What would B mean for an FPS that wants to use 2 thumbsticks?

As a side note, I'm antsy for an Apple TV that can play iPhone games using a standalone Bluetooth game controller. Seems like a no-brainer for Apple.
m0dest is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 09:43 AM   #8
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Umm, the top and middle product shots are clearly showing two different controllers. The latter appearing to have the analog nubs.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 09:50 AM   #9
hybroid
macrumors member

Quote:

The second picture shows an analog stick to the final product might indeed.
hybroid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:29 PM   #10
mdelvecchio
macrumors 68020

Quote:
"Although not pictured, the report also suggests that the final version of the controller will come with full-sized analog sticks for enhanced control."
mdelvecchio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:59 PM   #11
SockRolid
macrumors 65816

Oh cool! The Razer Kazuyo is precisely what I've been waiting for.
It will help me finally break 450,000 on TETRIS.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 02:49 PM   #12
Makosuke
macrumors 603

Quote:

From the article you're replying to:
Quote:
Although not pictured, the report also suggests that the final version of the controller will come with full-sized analog sticks for enhanced control.
While the top mockup photo doesn't show an analog stick, the one in the middle pretty clearly does, and the bullet points certainly seem to indicate that it'll have a full analog-stick-included layout.
Makosuke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 03:07 PM   #13
CrazyForApple
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to CrazyForApple
none of these controllers interest me
CrazyForApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:02 AM   #14
nagromme
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0dest View Post
This is a really good question.

It looks like Apple's gamepad rules ("Requirements for Games That Support Game Controllers") might be too restrictive. If an iOS game wants to support a thumbstick, the developer has to support all 3 cases: (a) no gamepad, (b) standard gamepad without thumbstick, and (c) extended gamepad with 2 thumbsticks.
Seems like a reasonable rule to me. How could Apple allow a game to claim official MFi controller support and then fail on some of them?

Developers need to step up and support both types of controller. I don't blame them for waiting: it's early yet.

Quote:
What would B mean for an FPS that wants to use 2 thumbsticks?
Probably aiming on the touchscreen and strafing with the D-Pad. Up to the developer to solve: and they should regardless of the rules, if they want to use these controllers as a selling point, and some of them lack sticks.

I wouldn't mind if Apple dictated that ALL controllers MUST have sticks. But I suppose there's a place for thinner, more compact (even always-on?) controller cases. Myself, I'll go for the sticks! As prices drop.

(I'm a little skeptical of super-low-profile analog sticks, but willing to give them a chance.)
nagromme is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion