Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jim-H

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2013
Apple has modified its website from shipping in a particular month to ship to a number of weeks. As of March 31st, shipping was still April, which would mean 4 weeks or less.

How many out there waiting for a particular shipping timeframe before ordering?

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Is that to somehow soften the blow that it's only April 1st and it's slipped a month already? Yesterday it said "Ships April", now were looking at the 2nd week of May at a minimum. This is killing me. I was holding off on ordering until the shipping times were somewhat realistic, but this is crazy.

Jinykim

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2014
Australia
to be honest, this isn't surprising at all...
but i'm a bit surprised Apple doesn't say available to ship: May... that seems same tho..

Stephent

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2012
Apple has modified its website from shipping in a particular month to ship to a number of weeks. As of March 31st, shipping was still April, which would mean 4 weeks or less.

How many out there waiting for a particular shipping timeframe before ordering?

It is absolutely ridiculous to wait to order until the shipping times come down. If you are going to get one then the sooner you order it the sooner you will have it. If you don't order it then you still don't have it and won't until after people who do order it get theirs.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
It is absolutely ridiculous to wait to order until the shipping times come down. If you are going to get one then the sooner you order it the sooner you will have it. If you don't order it then you still don't have it and won't until after people who do order it get theirs.

Yeh, but they don't take your money until it ships. I don't want $3500 grand sitting in my account that's technically spent. I don't want to have to keep making sure I haven't dipped into the Mac Pro money. Imagine waiting 2 months and then they go to take the money to find out that it declined because I got gas or something! Yikes! In any case, I figured by the time I'd saved up the $3500, the shipping times would have come down. After putting money off to the side for 3 months, I should finally have all of it next week. But it looks like it's still a month away. So if I place that order, I'm going to have to be very carful not to spend that money in the meantime.

First world problems. I know.

Beardy man

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
Two weeks. That's what I'm waiting for.

No rush to order, fortunately. I'm happy to wait for Apple to get their S$%t together.

Yup. 2-3 weeks is the sweet spot for me. I've been waiting for the "dispatched April" tag to change to give a clue as to how close we were getting but 5-6 is probably about right rather than early May. Fingers crossed this will start to slide down to 2-3 weeks towards the end of April.

I fully understand the logic of ordering now to get it sooner. I just can't get my head around waiting 2 months to get it. I don't usually go for 'instant gratification' and take the long view but in waiting for a nMacPro I figure 2-3 weeks is my tolerance threshold (and as krye said, if I wait a while longer I'll have the money in the bank ready). My oMacPro is still just about keeping up so I can wait.

Stephent

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2012
Yeh, but they don't take your money until it ships. I don't want $3500 grand sitting in my account that's technically spent. I don't want to have to keep making sure I haven't dipped into the Mac Pro money. Imagine waiting 2 months and then they go to take the money to find out that it declined because I got gas or something! Yikes! In any case, I figured by the time I'd saved up the $3500, the shipping times would have come down. After putting money off to the side for 3 months, I should finally have all of it next week. But it looks like it's still a month away. So if I place that order, I'm going to have to be very carful not to spend that money in the meantime.

First world problems. I know.

Well that is different since the wait time isn't the only reason you waited. It is annoying to have the money sitting there I know, but if you have the money it is still cutting off your nose despite your face. BTW if you order it through the Apple business store you can get a discount and financing. I'm paying mine off over 18 months.

----------

Yup. 2-3 weeks is the sweet spot for me. I've been waiting for the "dispatched April" tag to change to give a clue as to how close we were getting but 5-6 is probably about right rather than early May. Fingers crossed this will start to slide down to 2-3 weeks towards the end of April.

I fully understand the logic of ordering now to get it sooner. I just can't get my head around waiting 2 months to get it. I don't usually go for 'instant gratification' and take the long view but in waiting for a nMacPro I figure 2-3 weeks is my tolerance threshold (and as krye said, if I wait a while longer I'll have the money in the bank ready). My oMacPro is still just about keeping up so I can wait.

Believe me waiting the two months was torture. Especially since I ordered it hours after it slipped to March delivery. Still got is sooner than you though so Nanny nanny boo-boo :p:D

GreenWater

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2013
Venice, CA
I ordered on the night of March 30th and was told sometime in April.

----------

BTW if you order it through the Apple business store you can get a discount and financing. I'm paying mine off over 18 months.

I was given a a little bit off by calling the business store too. Considering it took only 15 minutes to order, the discount made a very respectable rate of pay.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
i wouldn't be surprised if apple brought in a nMP 2.0 with better specs...
probably piss many people who already bought it.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
i wouldn't be surprised if apple brought in a nMP 2.0 with better specs...
probably piss many people who already bought it.

This simply shows a lack of understanding.

There is no parts to replace with anything better, Intel hasn't released new processors and new graphic cards are still far away.

DigitalVT

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
UK
I don't get this wait until the order time comes down, yes that would be nice, but aren't you already waiting now?

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
I don't get this wait until the order time comes down, yes that would be nice, but aren't you already waiting now?

Exactly! My order now shipped, if I was still waiting for the wait time to lower I would be waiting even longer for my system.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula

There is no parts to replace with anything better, Intel hasn't released new processors and new graphic cards are still far away.

Better CPUs are sampling now, and some signs point to fall (NH) release.

Better GPUs are available too (not new generation, but faster and with ECC).

sigmadog

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
just west of Idaho

No, I'm not waiting for anything. I'm using my current computer which still works great for my business, even though it's slow by today's standards. Believe it or not, I don't need the new Mac Pro right now.

I will be upgrading at some point, and when I do, I don't want to wait more than two weeks from the time I order to delivery.

That seems like a reasonable time frame to me.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011

who knows..probably release the new intel parts nearly the same time as mac pro.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Memory and CPUs aren't the limiting factor

Less than two weeks for a six-core with FedEx ground.... Six days from "ordered" to "shipped".

Apple should hire someone with supply chain experience.

Attachments

• t3610.jpg
    t3610.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Oh the drama in this thread ...

You all wanted an American based factory and you got it. Doesn't mean it's better or faster (or cheaper) than those overseas :p

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011

You all wanted an American based factory and you got it. Doesn't mean it's better or faster (or cheaper) than those overseas :p

Hehe, that sums it up more or less. It is definitely not faster. The rest, although doubtful, remain to be seen.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012

I never wanted an US factory! :mad:

If My order was shipped from China I would have it by now. It's been nearly 4 days and it still hasn't even left the USA yet. :(

patlee88

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
Wonder when you placed the order? Is it BTO config or standard build? I places my order on 22th march and still processing status..

Exactly! My order now shipped, if I was still waiting for the wait time to lower I would be waiting even longer for my system.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Wonder when you placed the order? Is it BTO config or standard build? I places my order on 22th march and still processing status..

I ordered Hex core, 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD, and D700's on 21'st February.

It shipped late 31th March, and is still making it's way across the States to reach little ole Ireland now.

patlee88

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
Lucky you! actually I ordered on 21th march, 512 ssd, D500, 12Gb ram...still keep "processing", can't wait to ship to Hong Kong

I ordered Hex core, 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD, and D700's on 21'st February.

It shipped late 31th March, and is still making it's way across the States to reach little ole Ireland now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.