Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today is April Fools' Day, which means readers should be wary of what they read online as much of it will be a gross hyperbole created in the name of fun. Today also marks Apple's 38th anniversary, with the company having been founded on this day in 1976 by Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak.

Among the popular April Fools' Day jokes making the rounds today are the following:

Apple Acquires iFixit

Based on the number of tips we've received, iFixit wins the award for the most believable Apple-related April Fools' prank for 2014. The popular device repair company changed its entire website to announce that it is being acquired by Apple.
It's finally here. We're thrilled to announce that we are joining forces with Apple starting this summer. It has been an exciting adventure for all of us at iFixit, and we can't thank our dedicated community enough. Let's start our next chapter together.
ifixit-apple.jpg
BookBook for iMac

Twelve South, which offers a popular line of book-themed iPhone, iPad, and Mac notebook cases, has introduced its largest version yet: BookBook for iMac.

bookbook_imac.jpg
SwiftKey "Flow Hard" for Physical Keyboards

Popular alternative keyboard SwiftKey, which recently began experimenting on iOS, announced "Flow Hard", a version of its gesture-input technology for physical desktop/laptop keyboards. The new Flow Hard is guaranteed to increase your typing speed and your overall productivity.

MacRumors has not participated in April Fools' Day prank news stories on its regular news pages in past years, and has no plans to break from that tradition this year. All news stories posted on our front page, iOS Blog, and Mac Blog today are real.

Article Link: Apple Buys iFixit, and Other 2014 April Fools' Jokes

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I see AppleInsider got fooled by the iFixit one.

Yeah... I saw it in their RSS feed, then they pulled the story from their page.

Honestly, I am about sick of all these stories every year. Makes you just want to not read the news on April 1 each year.

minhvn

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2013
MacRumors has not participated in April Fools' Day prank news stories on its regular news pages in past years, and has no plans to break from that tradition this year. All news stories posted on our front page, iOS Blog, and Mac Blog today are real.

Yet this article is on the front page...

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Apple's acquisition of iFixit would be something like:

"The new iPad is entirely made of glue, and no part can be replaced. Overall, we give it a 10/10 for fixability." :eek:

jellomizer

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Upstate NY
Selfy bot doesn't breaks physics.

It reminds me of the flying platforms in Mario Games. And what always gets me, is that its propeller will cause the top part of the device to spin as well. As well being top heavy would cause it to flip over.

xnu

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2004
MacRumors has lost its sense of humor, a real shame....

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
ahahha i laughed so hard at all of these... though the ifix it one initially fooled me until i got to the part about "replacability" that was epic!

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011

Let me tell you that this is greatly appreciated.

henryhbk

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2002
Boston
Fingers

Loved the bit about not having to buy nail files using flow. Also the safety glasses while using the manual typewriter (kids: google "typewriter")

0xyMoron

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
California

You guys must be fun at parties.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.