Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Granted they have similar general form factor.. and if need to I think you can swap mobo. but the problem I'm seeing really is the mounting holes that's about it.

5c rear shell + 5s mobo + touchID home button + screen= 5c with touchID?

FrozenInferno

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2013
TouchID works directly with the A7 processor in the iPhone 5S, the architecture just isn't there with previous chips.

Brdl04

Suspended
Jan 22, 2011
the D
Yes you can. Will it work? Probably not but you can put it in there. (Thats what she said.)

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
so touchID is 64-bit specific hardware?

LULZ @ that's what she said

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
It would be easier to just put a colored plastic case on the 5S.

----------

Essentially, all you are doing here is taking a 5S and changing the rear shell? I dont see why it wont work

It won't work because the inner construction isn't the same. The 5S frame and insides aren't designed to mate to a 5C case.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
It would work.

Just shove the guts of the 5s into the 5c shell. Wrap it up with a little duct tape. Good as gold!!!

:eek:

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
In theory, it should work right? as long as the mounting points line up.. that's the only issue here in think.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
In theory, it should work right? as long as the mounting points line up.. that's the only issue here in think.

IF you pulled all the internals out of the 5S as well....

Essentially, if you were taking just the back shell of the 5C and trying to attach it to a 5S, it would work (though it wouldn't fit correctly).

However, if you are simply trying to pull out the Touch ID assembly to stick in a 5C, you'll be missing the key component - the A7 chip with secure enclave.

In other words, no.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002

You could put a Chevy V-8 in there if the mounting points line up, so I guess you're right--in theory.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Granted they have similar general form factor.. and if need to I think you can swap mobo. but the problem I'm seeing really is the mounting holes that's about it.

5c rear shell + 5s mobo + touchID home button + screen= 5c with touchID?

Yes, OP, I believe, in theory, it is entirely possible with what you are suggesting, but I recommend also switching out the battery and camera, and flash. There are just a few things though...

The casing to both the 5S and 5C have similar screw posts to mount the mobos on.

KvwVV3ZoMCofPTOH.huge

Image from iFixit.com.

The hole for the TouchID on the 5S is a little bigger than the hole on the 5C for the Home button, or else you would have been able to use the same screen (not the case). Just make sure the 5S display frame also comes with the display assembly.

The battery for the 5s is rated at 3.8V - 5.92Wh - 1560mAh, whereas the one in the 5c is rated at 3.8 V—5.73 Wh—1510 mAh; while the connectors are visually similar, I would advise swapping batteries to avoid problems.

The flex ribbon for the Power/Sleep/Volume/Vibrate assembly appears to have the same flex connector to the mobo, and at the same location, so you could potentially preserve the original flex intact. The flash is integrated to this flex, however, so if it does not work properly, you'll have to try "rigging" the 5s flex to the assembly.

iphone_5c_power_flex_flex.jpg

iPhone 5C Power flex
Image from ProTechBuy.com

Iphone-5S-Power-Volume-Flex-Cable-500x500.jpg

iPhone 5S Power flex
Image from PhonePartsUSA.com

The rear camera appears to have the same connector, as well. I would still recommend swapping it out.

Good luck if you attempt to do this! It's going to be one heck of an interesting franken-project. :)

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA

No. Touch ID not only needs the A7 chip to work, but also the iPhone 5s specific version of iOS 7, as Touch ID is set up and used in conjunction with iOS 7, not just hardware components. There are specific builds of iOS for each device, and the builds released for the 5c do not contain the necessary code for Touch ID.

In short, if you just want to attach the 5s home button to the 5c to have Touch ID, it will not work.

The only way would be to somehow remove the casing of the 5c, and use it as the casing for the 5s, as you would need the internals of the 5s to access Touch ID and to use the 5s specific iOS firmware.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
so touchID is 64-bit specific hardware?

LULZ @ that's what she said

Yes and it stores the finger print info on the A7. And all devices run a slightly differnt version of iOS so if you put it on you will still go to setting and won't have Touch ID in their. Also the software on the 5c wouldn't be able to read Touch ID

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
It would be easier to just put a colored plastic case on the 5S.

----------

It won't work because the inner construction isn't the same. The 5S frame and insides aren't designed to mate to a 5C case.

Why can't he/she modify the shell? It will work if they can do it. So yes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.