Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BaddestArvai

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2014
Wisconsin USA
So today I went down to Milwaukee to see what this guy had for PowerMac G5's. When I arrived, I was shocked, and amazed. This guy had tons of every PowerPC (2000+) macs ever made!!! Tons of iMac G3's, G4's, and G5's, PowerMac G4's, G5's. eMacs EVERYWHERE!!!! I ended up buying the following for $75:

2 X PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0 (Has school name written on doors)

3 X iBook G3's (Can make 2 working laptops out of them)

2 X Apple Pro Keyboards (Minimal/no yellowing)

2 X iBook G4 Keyboards

1 X 17" Apple Display (Has school name written on back)

Alot of these are pretty beat up, but once cleaned they will look good. I need to go back soon and pick up some iMac G4's! He had probably like 15 of them. Probably around 20 G3 iMacs (rare ones too). Also, he has a PowerMac G4 called "toasty". It survived a damn fire.

BaddestArvai

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2014
Wisconsin USA
There was a lot of Mac and PC stuff. There were more PC's than Macs, and there were already a ton of macs. I only got two pictures while I was there. One of the PowerMac G5's, and one of his burnt PowerMac G4 named "toasty" that survived a house fire and actually still worked fine.

a516a79l9t8ve0afg.jpg

yzdo9mj6teid9odfg.jpg

The place was seriously a HUGE mess. I was stepping on keyboards, ram, and motherboards the whole way through this place. There were mostly just PowerMac G5's, 15"/17" iMac G4's (one 20"), iMac G5's (no iSights & a lot of them came in the original box!) I saw a PowerBook. It was a 1.2Ghz 12". He said it was his personal computer until the video went bad. I think I bought all of his iBooks, I literally was just pulling them out of piles asking about them. I may go back in the near future and see if I can pull out a good looking iMac G4. Alot of the macs there were pretty beat up. The G5's I got are pretty scratched but they still look okay. The iBooks are okay I guess. One looks actually pretty good and I am going to see if I can get that one running. One thing that surprised me, is that he said he had a box of G3 Clamshells... Oh, and the specs of the machines are:

2 X 700Mhz iBook G3's, 128MB Ram, 20GB HDD

1 X 600Mhz iBook G3, 128MB Ram, 20GB HDD

PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0, 512MB Ram, No HDD, No Video Card

PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0, 512MB Ram, No HDD, Video Card

7gx58ez4f4k34d3fg.jpg

mv24vq4u31ii6ebfg.jpg

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
So today I went down to Milwaukee to see what this guy had for PowerMac G5's. When I arrived, I was shocked, and amazed. This guy had tons of every PowerPC (2000+) macs ever made!!! Tons of iMac G3's, G4's, and G5's, PowerMac G4's, G5's. eMacs EVERYWHERE!!!! I ended up buying the following for $75:

2 X PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0 (Has school name written on doors)

3 X iBook G3's (Can make 2 working laptops out of them)

2 X Apple Pro Keyboards (Minimal/no yellowing)

2 X iBook G4 Keyboards

1 X 17" Apple Display (Has school name written on back)

Alot of these are pretty beat up, but once cleaned they will look good. I need to go back soon and pick up some iMac G4's! He had probably like 15 of them. Probably around 20 G3 iMacs (rare ones too). Also, he has a PowerMac G4 called "toasty". It survived a damn fire.

I will be glad to try and help you describe any repair procedures. I have a 600 MHz iBook that needs work, and I will gladly document its repair once I set up its 900 MHz replacement thanks to RedCroissant's generosity!

harrymatic

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2013
United Kingdom
Wow, you got a sweet deal!
It's too bad you don't see Mac stuff for such good prices here in the UK - actually maybe it's not, otherwise my house would be overflowing with it! :rolleyes:

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Wow, you got a sweet deal!
It's too bad you don't see Mac stuff for such good prices here in the UK - actually maybe it's not, otherwise my house would be overflowing with it! :rolleyes:

I'm in Ireland. Collecting old macs is such a pain this side of the Atlantic!

harrymatic

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2013
United Kingdom
I'm in Ireland. Collecting old macs is such a pain this side of the Atlantic!

It seems that the classic Macs are a bit more common here in England. Back in 2003 I got given a Macintosh Classic. It used to be part of a large AppleTalk network for a publisher, running Word 5.1. I've seen other classic machines come and go over the years but this one has stuck around - it's just such a fun form factor.

CSCONTO1

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2014
Nice Finds!

Hi!

I live near Milwaukee (Mequon) and I was wondering if you could tell me where this place is? I would really like to pay a visit and see what he has. Did you see any PowerBooks there?

Thanks!

BaddestArvai

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2014
Wisconsin USA
Hi!

I live near Milwaukee (Mequon) and I was wondering if you could tell me where this place is? I would really like to pay a visit and see what he has. Did you see any PowerBooks there?

Thanks!

There was only one PowerBook that I saw and I don't think he is willing to let it go because it was his personal machine. I don't think he has many laptops.

mark8

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2010
WNY
Fixed a 12" 933Mhz G3 iBook(awhile ago) the famous no video issue. I used a heat gun and many layers of tinfoil to isolate the graphics chip(after taking out the logic board a bunch of times). Trial and error. was ready to give up but on the third try I managed to resink the graphics chip. After it cooled I put new heat sink(thermal) tape on it. Gave that one to junior he still uses it to surf/email. There used to be a few online pages on how to fix

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
It seems that the classic Macs are a bit more common here in England. Back in 2003 I got given a Macintosh Classic. It used to be part of a large AppleTalk network for a publisher, running Word 5.1. I've seen other classic machines come and go over the years but this one has stuck around - it's just such a fun form factor.

I imported a 512Ke from the US. My first vintage mac! Love it. Even have it hosting a file server on the internet!

I've got a few more since including a free Mac Classic II from the UK. Had leaked caps but I repaired it and it works great now :)

----------

Holy crap.

What is the heck is that place?

A PPC Mirage. It can't be real! :p

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hmmm…At work. Two G4s, one MacPro, one Gateway, one HP Pavilion and one Dell Optiplex 360. All within arms reach and available just by turning in my chair. One Dell Optiplex sitting next to the HP, but it's off.

The MacPro is driving three monitors. One G4 and the Optiplex 360 are running headless.

I guess it only counts as two though since only two of these are PowerPC Macs. :D

BaddestArvai

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2014
Wisconsin USA
Haha, did you use Mac when powerpc was used?, i have 6 ppcs in my room only :p

I used PowerPC machines in School when I was younger. We made movies on eMac's. I remember doing stuff on G3's when I was around 7.

Also, I am making a 2nd trip to PowerPC land sometime this week or next week. I will make sure I take a lot of pictures. He is also trying to get rid of iMac G3's for $5-$10 each. He even has some of the rare G3's which I may pick up. I plan on trying to get a working iMac G4, and maybe another Studio Display. Ill see what I can pull up! And next week I am picking up a PowerMac G4 for $10.

Last edited:

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
I used PowerPC machines in School when I was younger. We made movies on eMac's. I remember doing stuff on G3's when I was around 7.

Nice, we had some computer in 6th grade with the apple rainbow logo which was never used, just can't recall which it was, thinking it was some John Sculley performa/quadra or something.

----------

You top me by 1, I have 5!

:D How many intels do you have in your room? I have 9 (yes you can probably imagine what my room looks like lol)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.