Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Apr 2, 2014, 04:01 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Spotify for iOS Updated with Redesign, Revamped Browse and Playlist Features

Streaming music service Spotify today updated its app for iOS, bringing a major user interface redesign that emphasizes album arts with a darker theme, along with the addition of newer fonts and icons. The app’s new look is meant be in line with the design of the desktop and web versions of Spotify, which marks the first time the service has seen a visual overhaul since it first launched in 2008.

Speaking to The Next Web, Spotify’s Director of Product Development Michelle Kadir said the following about the service’s new look on iOS and other platforms:
Quote:
We thought it was time for us to make a change... What we felt the past year is that we've kept innovating -- we've shipped a lot of new features, we've launched in new markets, and we've also shipped on many new platforms. But what we haven't done is to take a step back and just redo the design so that we feel like it's new, it's fresh -- but also so that it really works across all platforms.
In addition to an overhauled user interface, the app also now includes a revamped Playlists section that allows users to save and organize music in a variety of ways, along with an updated Browse feature that contains enhanced smart playlist functionality and improved context-aware suggestions.

Spotify launched its free streaming tier for iOS devices last December, and integrated its Browse playlist curation feature last August as it has attempted to keep up with the likes of rival music streaming services such as Pandora and iTunes Radio. A report from Edison Research last month noted that Spotify was the fourth most popular service in the United States, making up for 6% of all listeners behind Pandora, iHeartRadio, and iTunes Radio.

Spotify is a free download for iOS devices and can be downloaded through App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Spotify for iOS Updated with Redesign, Revamped Browse and Playlist Features
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 04:03 AM   #2
kwokaaron
macrumors regular

Someones looking good....
Old Apr 2, 2014, 04:05 AM   #3
JamesWillson69
macrumors member

Yeigh the design it good, but neigh I do not use it
JamesWillson69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 04:08 AM   #4
shenfrey
macrumors 6502a

Its ok! That shuffle play button placement is horrible though. And I bet many would agree with me!
Apple TV (2012), IPhone 5, iPad (4th Gen)
shenfrey is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 04:30 AM   #5
TC03
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenfrey View Post
Its ok! That shuffle play button placement is horrible though. And I bet many would agree with me!
I do not. I use Spotify to listen to music rather than searching what I want to listen. I like the idea that you can play random music any time you want.
TC03 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 04:35 AM   #6
bbfc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I agree. I'm a premium subscriber so don't expect the shuffle button to be so prominent. It wasn't on the previous version.

Love the new design though!
Old Apr 2, 2014, 04:38 AM   #7
Sandstorm
macrumors regular

I really love Spotify and I really like this new redesign.

I only hope redesigned iPad version will soon follow.
Sandstorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 05:05 AM   #8
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

Looks great. Taking advantage of using the artwork blurred in the background, that's cool! Love the new fonts too.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 06:02 AM   #9
GunZi
macrumors 6502

since when was there a redesign released for the mac? I havent gotten any new updates...
GunZi is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 06:04 AM   #10
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
I agree. Once you start scrolling through a playlist the shuffle button half covers whatever song is at the top. I hope they fix that.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 06:30 AM   #11
chrf097
macrumors 68030

Reminds me of Rdio. Anyways, I love it. Looks awesome.

chrf097 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 06:42 AM   #12
dumastudetto
macrumors 65816

Is Spotify still in business? I'm seriously surprised they have any customers left since the launch of iTunes Radio rendered the Spotify service useless.
dumastudetto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 07:08 AM   #13
Aluminum213
macrumors 65816

Much better, but where is the iPad version? That's the version I use the most

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumastudetto View Post
Is Spotify still in business? I'm seriously surprised they have any customers left since the launch of iTunes Radio rendered the Spotify service useless.
I'm going to assume this is a terrible attempt at sarcasm
Aluminum213 is online now   10 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 07:15 AM   #14
dannyyankou
macrumors 68020

Quote:
They both do very different things. That may change in iOS 8 though.
dannyyankou is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 07:15 AM   #15
dumastudetto
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminum213 View Post
I'm going to assume this is a terrible attempt at sarcasm
No. I used Spotify/Rdio quite regularly until the launch of iTunes Radio. I haven't used it once since. And I get iTunes Radio for free as part of my Match subscription. It's an insanely great deal that Spotify doesn't come close to matching. I think these services are doomed.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 07:28 AM   #16
tkermit
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Did a double take. Glanced at the user name. Had guessed correctly.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 07:45 AM   #17
technopimp
macrumors 6502a

Have they added the ability to save/organize music by artist yet? I can't believe this has been missing from the service all along, which is the main reason I switched to Rhapsody even though I like Spotify better overall.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 07:47 AM   #18
StevenB14
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by technopimp View Post
Have they added the ability to save/organize music by artist yet? I can't believe this has been missing from the service all along, which is the main reason I switched to Rhapsody even though I like Spotify better overall.
They have added/are adding a "your music" section which is supposed to be much better than just having a massive list of playlists. I haven't seen this feature on the app yet so don't know if its still on its way or it needs to be kicked off on the desktop app.

Hopefully someone else can shed some light on this.
StevenB14 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 07:55 AM   #19
bushido
macrumors 603

Quote:
two completely different services. iTunes Radio never ever plays what I want while i got the whole music catalogue at my disposal with Spotify.

---

and yeo that Shuffle button is horrible, especially in german. the writing barely fits inside
bushido is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 08:00 AM   #20
dannys1
macrumors 6502

and yet STILL you can't arrange playlists so last added is at the top. How many years Spotify? Its RIDICULOUS. Even the OSX app refuses to remember you want last added/newest tracks at the top.

----------

Quote:
No. I used Spotify/Rdio quite regularly until the launch of iTunes Radio. I haven't used it once since. And I get iTunes Radio for free as part of my Match subscription. It's an insanely great deal that Spotify doesn't come close to matching. I think these services are doomed.
I'm not sure you're longed for this world...
Old Apr 2, 2014, 08:06 AM   #21
Bawstun
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannys1 View Post
and yet STILL you can't arrange playlists so last added is at the top. How many years Spotify? Its RIDICULOUS. Even the OSX app refuses to remember you want last added/newest tracks at the top.

----------

I'm not sure you're longed for this world...
Any tracks I add or star to playlists are at the top, and stay that way, arranged by date. Just click the date/added time, in the column of your playlist?
Bawstun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 08:10 AM   #22
Aluminum213
macrumors 65816

Why is the playlists portion of the app still the old version? It's the old ugly color and design while the rest of the app is the new sleek black

It's like they forgot to update a portion of the app
Aluminum213 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 08:18 AM   #23
dumastudetto
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
two completely different services. iTunes Radio never ever plays what I want while i got the whole music catalogue at my disposal with Spotify.
I use the iTunes store for my collection and iTunes Radio for discovery. It's the perfect combination IMO. Why rent music that can disappear from your playlists/library at any time when the publisher pulls the tracks from the service? It happens all the time on these subscription services. It makes renting your music totally unedifying.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 08:28 AM   #24
skillz1318
macrumors regular

Still no alarm feature...
Old Apr 2, 2014, 08:37 AM   #25
tkermit
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminum213 View Post
Why is the playlists portion of the app still the old version? It's the old ugly color and design while the rest of the app is the new sleek black
Do you not see this?

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion