Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stanw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
I want to get an external blu-ray burner to use with my 2,1 for making videos to play in a home blu-ray player and also to back up large amounts of data. I would also like to use the burner with my iMac and Macbook Pro.

1. Can anyone recommend a burner that works well with Macs?
2. Is there a certain type of discs that I should get?

Thanks.

stanw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
I'm guessing this will also install software from CDs and DVDs?

chrisn123

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2011
Full size units are MUCH faster, if you care

I also have a bus-powered slim "laptop" model that I carry with my rMBP. Works great, BUT it's annoyingly slow at reading and writing if you are used to desktop drive speeds.

I recently got this unit from OWC (about $170):

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MR3F8BDSD16/

Much bigger, but 2X faster reading (12X) and >2X writing (16X) Blu Ray.

For full disclosure, this unit is NOT silent when idle. I used to simply switch it off when not in use, but now (for clutter control, not noise control) I actually keep it connected to a MacMini in my gear closet, (GigE connection is fine, even for fastest read/write speeds supported).

CH12671

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2013
Southern US
Not sure what you want to do with it, but I only have 84 dollars for mine and I rip dvd's with hand brake at over 200 fps. Also made an mk4 from blue ray in about thirty minutes for the movie avatar. Plus I don't have another power cord to plug in

chrisn123

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2011
I don't transcode many DVDs these days, so I can't speak to that-- but I assume it is still CPU bound.

For MKV ripping of Blu Rays, the LG drive is about twice as fast as my laptop drive that is rated at 6X (admittedly, not the specific model you have). When I am ripping a few Blu Rays in one session, twice as fast makes a difference (to me).

I really don't burn that many BluRay disks, but the LG drive seems MORE than twice as fast at that-- especially if you do a verify data cycle.

Anyway, like I said, I HAVE BOTH style drives-- just pointing out that the laptop ones are a lot slower than the new 16X (really 12X most of time) full-size units. If you don't care, by all means save your money.

roxics

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2013
I've been looking at this Pioneer BDR-XD05W that two of you here have recommended and other people in the Best Buy reviews are saying it doesn't work right with a mac (especially Mavericks) which has me a little concerned.

Are you two running it on Mavericks?

Does it playback blu-ray movies without any other software or what do you use if other software is required?

I was also looking at the Samsung SE-506BB which is only a USB 2 interface but also only requires one USB plug rather than two like the Pioneer. it also seemed to have better reviews by mac users.

The downside is that I would have to order the Samsung online whereas I could run out to Bestbuy today and buy the Pioneer.

CH12671

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2013
Southern US
I've been looking at this Pioneer BDR-XD05W that two of you here have recommended and other people in the Best Buy reviews are saying it doesn't work right with a mac (especially Mavericks) which has me a little concerned.

Are you two running it on Mavericks?

Does it playback blu-ray movies without any other software or what do you use if other software is required?

I was also looking at the Samsung SE-506BB which is only a USB 2 interface but also only requires one USB plug rather than two like the Pioneer. it also seemed to have better reviews by mac users.

The downside is that I would have to order the Samsung online whereas I could run out to Bestbuy today and buy the Pioneer.

I'm using mavericks and it works great with all four of my macs! No worries on the pioneer!

Edit: I watch blue ray movies using this player and VLC

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
I am using the Pioneer (as previously indicated) with Mavericks with no problems. I burn CD's, DVD's and Blurays, and read from them without any issues at all.

billyb2

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
SoCal
Not sure if you're still looking for advice, but I have an LG burner that I picked up at Best Buy. So far it has burned over 100 discs (DVD and Bluray) with no errors. When I first set it up, I made two coasters but that was operator error! No software required, just plug-and-play :D

LG - 16x External USB 3.0/2.0 Blu-ray Disc Double-Layer DVD±RW/CD-RW Drive Model: BE14NU40

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-16x-external-usb-3-0-2-0-blu-ray-disc-double-layer-dvdrw-cd-rw-drive/6697151.p?id=1218782856727&skuId=6697151&st=bluray%20burner&cp=1&lp=6

roxics

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2013
Thanks but I picked up the Pioneer model I mentioned above. Have had it for over a month and it's working great.

My biggest complaint is the lack of software support for Blu-Ray on Mac OS.

ankh

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2003
How about direct copy between 2 blu-ray drives?

I'm getting a large batch of old family home movies converted, they'll come on Blu-Ray 25GB Verbatim media.

I don't yet own any Blu-Ray hardware.

Is it straightforward to simply copy between a Blu-Ray reader external drive and a Blu-Ray writer external drive?

I'll end up sending reader drives along with some of the discs to family, so wondering if I can first use that setup rather than trying to convert files to hard disks and back.

I probably want to use the M-disc media for the copies going to family, for archival purposes -- those supposedly work just like Blu-Ray in compatible drives.

I've been looking at OWC but can't make sense of their descriptions, they have what might be 2 slightly different external writers (pictures of front plates differ, but could just be outdated pictures) and their sales help isn't.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
I've been looking at OWC but can't make sense of their descriptions, they have what might be 2 slightly different external writers (pictures of front plates differ, but could just be outdated pictures) and their sales help isn't.

In 2010 I bought an LG Blu-ray writer from OWC. I'm sure the model has been updated since then. At the time the LG ODs were behaving well in MP 5,1s while the Pioneer models had sleep and mounting issues.

I was going to get an OWC external box for it during my 11 month flirt with Mac minis but I never got around to it. Now the LG writer is working perfectly in my 2012 5,1.

I also revived my copy of Mac Blu-ray Player and tried it on a couple of disks. It seemed to work fine. Usually I just buy the movie, make an mkv + mv4 and archive the disk to a shelf.

broadbean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
I recently purchased a Buffalo on recommendation by The Wirecutter. Works well, but rather frustrating when using with my Mac mini Late 2012. It needs a second USB port to power it when I had no such issue with a Mac mini Early 2009, and that one had an extra USB port!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.