Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Investor27

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
I sincerely hope so, but I'm not too convinced that Apple will add more memory next. They always have been very stingy with memory upgrades.

Last edited:

Investor27

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
I thought that it was very, very likely as well when the Air and iPad mini Retina came out last year. But nope! Just 1 GB only. If the next Air will have 2 GB instead, and even with no other improvements, I would buy that in an instant. I'm praying to the iPad God to make that happen.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
No one on this forum knows. Only Apple ;) Forum members last year thought it would be offered, but, no and the year before that it was rumored it might, but again, no....

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
No one on this forum knows. Only Apple ;) Forum members last year thought it would be offered, but, no and the year before that it was rumored it might, but again, no....

I think it could have happened last year but iOS 7 using memory compression just like OS X Mavericks so Apple was able to keep the 1 GB of ram in place. With the 64 bit OS it's possible the next iPad's could get a spec bump but no one really knows.

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Depends on whether iOS 8 demands more Ram for new functions and Apple thinks a RAM bump would be necessary.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I hope so, RAM is quite literally the ONLY thing that ruins the experience for me, if my iPad 4 had 2GB RAM I'd be truly satisfied. Here's to hoping the iPad Air 2 does indeed come with 2GB RAM.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I think it is definitely time. With IOS7, more examples of low memory conditions have been reported and that also seems one of the biggest complaints with IOS users. With the switch to 64bit processing, the next logical step seems to be to increase the RAM.

Investor27

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
I think it is definitely time. With IOS7, more examples of low memory conditions have been reported and that also seems one of the biggest complaints with IOS users. With the switch to 64bit processing, the next logical step seems to be to increase the RAM.

Agreed! I'm not used to my iPad crashing so much since moving over to Apple from PC. I know if there's a way for Apple to make 1 GB work with the 64bit processing, they will. But 2 GB would make the user experience so much better. Apple just need to do the right thing now. By this October, it will have been more than 2 years since the iPad 4 came out, and we cannot go with just 1 GB any longer.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
I wish Apple and Amazon would follow each other's lead in that Kindle Fire HDX has top-flight specs (including 2 GB RAM) but is crippled by horrid software whereas the iPad has good to great software but underwhelming specs.

confucious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2010
Woking, UK
iOS is far more memory efficient than Android.
No doubt, at some point in the future, an increase will be necessary but I don't think that time has come yet. Maybe it will with iOS8 but who, apart from Apple, knows.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
One would hope given that so many people complain about it and/or the fact the CPUs are now 64 bit.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
What's going to happen if it does have 2GB of RAM and certain websites still crash safari or reload tabs? It could be the biggest human meltdown ever. Then, we can read thread after thread about how the Air should have 5 GB of RAM.

Grab yer favorite popcorn and blanket..... This is gonna be good.... :D

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
If a device has an A8 in it, it will have 2GB RAM. If it has an A7, it will have 1GB.

What's going to happen if it does have 2GB of RAM and certain websites still crash safari or reload tabs? It could be the biggest human meltdown ever. Then, we can read thread after thread about how the Air should have 5 GB of RAM.

Grab yer favorite popcorn and blanket..... This is gonna be good.... :D

That's exactly what's going to happen.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Is there any documentation that shows this? How do you know?

You will not find any official documentation that shows anything for any upcoming Apple products.

As dcpmark stated, you can believe me or not as far as A8 devices having 2GB and A7 devices having 1GB. Nothing is official from anyone until the product is released. Assume "IMHO" for anything you read (or hear) anywhere about Apple products.

As far as my other comment in response to "what will happen if people still have issues with certain websites after having more RAM", it is purely speculation. Although, based on years of reading the forums here, I think it's guaranteed to happen if people still experience problems with websites :D.

Investor27

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
If a device has an A8 in it, it will have 2GB RAM. If it has an A7, it will have 1GB.

That's exactly what's going to happen.

Is there any documentation that shows this? How do you know?

No one knows. It's all speculative. But since we are moving to a 64bit architechture, AND if rumors are true about us getting an A8 chip next across the board the iPhone and iPads, then there is a very good to excellent change of us getting 2 GB of RAM.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
It will probably be 2 GB of DDR4 RAM which will bring savings to battery life as well as giving the OS more overhead to scream performance.

theromz

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2013
IMO I think it will, iOS 7 has brought in more multi tasking and background refresh, not a lot of apps use it yet but the adoption is claiming steadily. 64bit app also use up to 30% more ram, and the performance of the A8 would be more then enough to handle several things at once and the ram might actual start to be a real bottle neck, if it has to keep refresh its ram.

ShootingStarPho

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2011
2GB RAM? Why not MORE?!?

When it comes to RAM, I think that with recent optimisations of such technology, it would be best to add competitive edge and give the 'iPad Air 2'
4GB or even 6GB / 8GB of RAM!

Sound like too much? Consider this: iOS has not yet had a fully functional multi window interface. In order to successfully make such an experience what I will call 'Apple smooth', as opposed to the not quite premiere quality OS feeling from Android devices, although they are not 'bad', just slightly less polished overall, it would be quite clever of Apple to step up the RAM in an unexpected way, much like the 64 bit A7 proved to surprise. I would gladly welcome the increased RAM, as my iPad Air has been a tad slow compared to how snappy I expect it should be at this stage in iPad life cycles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.