Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HFoletto

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2013
Hi, how are you?
I got the Retina Macbook Pro 15" late-2013 with dedicated GPU earlier this year, and I'm loving it.
However, since I got this, 1080p monitors doesn't look nice at all.

I'm planning to get a monitor for a bigger screen (of course), and this specific model seems to be perfect for me, the Dell UP2414Q. Well, it's 4k, 23.8", 60hz, IPS, 99% RGB. And it has an incredible ppi of 185!

The price of this one is quite nice too, 1.539 USD here where I live. It's pretty good compared to the thunderbolt display, that costs 2190 USD (both prices are from the official store, not reseller).

Okay, Apple will be releasing in the 10.9.3 update a retina like scale for 4k monitors as I read here, and even in the screenshot, the monitor is the same I'd get. I think the 10.9.3 will launch some time soon, but the monitor will take a good time to arrive though.

Since it's not something cheap, is there something I should care about? Or a bad thing about this monitor? Maybe I'm missing some important information? Will it work as nice as in my Macbook Pro?

Thank you.

HFoletto

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2013
It's a good monitor and once 10.9.3 is released it will work well with the newest Mac Pros and retina MacBook Pros.

Thank you so much!

I had a chat with a Dell seller here and she said it's pretty much the same as their top of line, just smaller.
For me the 24" size is perfect, 31.5" is way too big for my eyes and physical space. Also the 185 ppi is incredible!

So I'm guessing my Macbook Pro will be able to run this monitor at 4k 60hz scaled to 1080p nicely.

CultHero

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2007
I am waiting for the LG 34UM95 or the LG 29UM95. They are prob a few months out though.

HFoletto

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2013
I am waiting for the LG 34UM95 or the LG 29UM95. They are prob a few months out though.

Oh nice, I was thinking about this one, but it's not 4k, right? And I think it wont be available here where I live.
And I'm not sure if I would like the ultra wide ratio.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Hi, how are you?
I got the Retina Macbook Pro 15" late-2013 with dedicated GPU earlier this year, and I'm loving it.
However, since I got this, 1080p monitors doesn't look nice at all.

I'm planning to get a monitor for a bigger screen (of course), and this specific model seems to be perfect for me, the Dell UP2414Q. Well, it's 4k, 23.8", 60hz, IPS, 99% RGB. And it has an incredible ppi of 185!

The price of this one is quite nice too, 1.539 USD here where I live. It's pretty good compared to the thunderbolt display, that costs 2190 USD (both prices are from the official store, not reseller).

Okay, Apple will be releasing in the 10.9.3 update a retina like scale for 4k monitors as I read here, and even in the screenshot, the monitor is the same I'd get. I think the 10.9.3 will launch some time soon, but the monitor will take a good time to arrive though.

Since it's not something cheap, is there something I should care about? Or a bad thing about this monitor? Maybe I'm missing some important information? Will it work as nice as in my Macbook Pro?

Thank you.

You could have got the same monitor from Dell online for $999

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=860-BBCD

whiteonline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2011
California, USA
I've been back and forth on this display. My only issue is the early-adopter tax.
I'm just not sure how long (or soon) it will be before the QHD displays drop in price.

jkg4

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
I've been back and forth on this display. My only issue is the early-adopter tax.
I'm just not sure how long (or soon) it will be before the QHD displays drop in price.

This is not a consumer display. Each display is individually color calibrated at the factory before being shipped, so arrives almost ready to go for a professional color workflow (video or photography). It also contains hardware support for external color calibration. Plus it has a very good IPS screen versus some of the cheaper 28" that use TN panels that don't exhibit the same color uniformity and viewing angles.

It's already available for $899, so I expect eventually (12-18 months) it may drop as low as $749. If you don't require the color accuracy or factory calibration, then wait a few months and you'll find cheaper options around $699 or alternatively larger displays for the same price. Having lots of pixels is good, but having great color reproduction as well is sometimes worth the premium. Plus Dell has good warranty support.

HFoletto

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2013
This is not a consumer display. Each display is individually color calibrated at the factory before being shipped, so arrives almost ready to go for a professional color workflow (video or photography). It also contains hardware support for external color calibration. Plus it has a very good IPS screen versus some of the cheaper 28" that use TN panels that don't exhibit the same color uniformity and viewing angles.

It's already available for $899, so I expect eventually (12-18 months) it may drop as low as $749. If you don't require the color accuracy or factory calibration, then wait a few months and you'll find cheaper options around $699 or alternatively larger displays for the same price. Having lots of pixels is good, but having great color reproduction as well is sometimes worth the premium. Plus Dell has good warranty support.

Oh, thank you for the reply, now it really seems like a great display!
I'll probably get it this week!

whiteonline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2011
California, USA

Being of consumer/professional grade or not wasn't my point. The inevitable price drop is - and your $899 price is from a questionable reseller. Dell has them back up for $1K+.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Being of consumer/professional grade or not wasn't my point. The inevitable price drop is - and your $899 price is from a questionable reseller. Dell has them back up for $1K+.

Yup. I ordered mine a couple days before the Dell deal ended. Got it for $999 instead of $1299 they advertise now.

Oh. And it shipped 2 days ago instead of the May timeframe they gave me.

HFoletto

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2013
Yup. I ordered mine a couple days before the Dell deal ended. Got it for $999 instead of $1299 they advertise now.

Oh. And it shipped 2 days ago instead of the May timeframe they gave me.

Oh, so you have this monitor, right?
Are you liking it? What's your setup?

Thank you.

mikaella

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2008
London
if you want 1080p retina, YES!

I've had a UP2414Q for a few days now (on rMBP 15 with 10.9.3 beta), and can say that the image quality is gorgeous and color reproduction very nice. I'm a designer / animator so this is really important.

However, in my oppinion, the things to actually consider are these:
- You're basically getting a 1080p retina display. It's impossibile to usefully do anything in it's native resolution. In 1080p hidpi mode, everything is clean and crisp. You can choose some scaled resolutions but things can get sluggish with the scaling of that many pixels, especially in Photoshop, After Effects or such.
- I don't know yet if I'll get used to working on this display, as I'm coming from the 30" Apple Cinema Display and there's actually a lot less real estate, though most production software supports hidpi modes by now.
- I'm also considering the 31.5 4K Dell, but then again, for the higher price also come other trade-offs: 1080p in hidpi will be way too big and in native resolution everything is still very small, simply because interfaces aren't really created for these high resolutions.

HFoletto

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2013
I've had a UP2414Q for a few days now (on rMBP 15 with 10.9.3 beta), and can say that the image quality is gorgeous and color reproduction very nice. I'm a designer / animator so this is really important.

However, in my oppinion, the things to actually consider are these:
- You're basically getting a 1080p retina display. It's impossibile to usefully do anything in it's native resolution. In 1080p hidpi mode, everything is clean and crisp. You can choose some scaled resolutions but things can get sluggish with the scaling of that many pixels, especially in Photoshop, After Effects or such.
- I don't know yet if I'll get used to working on this display, as I'm coming from the 30" Apple Cinema Display and there's actually a lot less real estate, though most production software supports hidpi modes by now.
- I'm also considering the 31.5 4K Dell, but then again, for the higher price also come other trade-offs: 1080p in hidpi will be way too big and in native resolution everything is still very small, simply because interfaces aren't really created for these high resolutions.

Thank you so much for the feedback!
I was indeed planing to use this monitor in 1080p hidpi mode, and I think it would be look awesome. The scaled hidpi in 10.9.3 works like retina macbooks? I ask that because I love how it works. In Photoshop it uses the full size, and in ordinary apps like safari it scales, but the texts and other elements are so sharp!
Does the new feature in 10.9.3 work just like the retina feature in MacBooks Pro Retina?

Thank you so much again.

mikaella

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2008
London
Thank you so much for the feedback!
I was indeed planing to use this monitor in 1080p hidpi mode, and I think it would be look awesome. The scaled hidpi in 10.9.3 works like retina macbooks? I ask that because I love how it works. In Photoshop it uses the full size, and in ordinary apps like safari it scales, but the texts and other elements are so sharp!
Does the new feature in 10.9.3 work just like the retina feature in MacBooks Pro Retina?

Thank you so much again.

Hidpi mode always works like that.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Oh, so you have this monitor, right?
Are you liking it? What's your setup?

Thank you.

Ok. I've had this display for 4 days and here's what I've seen.

4K ( 3840X2160 ) works fine using my 2013 rMBP but for some odd reason it only does 3008X1692 coming from the nMP I have. I'm not sure if it's because of the low end D300 or a bug Apple hasn't fixed yet because I can set it to 3840X2160 using SwitchRezX4 plug in. 1080P HiDPI looks very nice.

The screen is very nice looking. Crisp and clear. Comparing it to my 27 " TB Display it looks brighter and a lot clearer.

Attachments

• displays.png
    displays.png
    236.5 KB · Views: 182
  • displays2.png
    displays2.png
    448.3 KB · Views: 157
  • displays3.png
    displays3.png
    841.5 KB · Views: 195

mikaella

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2008
London
from what i know, aside from the Mac Pro, only the latest rMBP (15") with discrete graphics card work fine with 4K displays. I've had no issues whatsoever regarding resolutions on my mac. There are graphical glithches but that is normal when using beta builds.

The latest drivers in the OS X Beta recognize this Dell properly when connected over mini display port.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
from what i know, aside from the Mac Pro, only the latest rMBP (15") with discrete graphics card work fine with 4K displays. I've had no issues whatsoever regarding resolutions on my mac. There are graphical glithches but that is normal when using beta builds.

The latest drivers in the OS X Beta recognize this Dell properly when connected over mini display port.

It is connected over mini display port from my 2013 Mac Pro.

mikaella

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2008
London
It is connected over mini display port from my 2013 Mac Pro.

MacPro should also work. I've noticed in the latest beta 13D43, on the rMBP 15" late 2013, that the "native" 3840 x 2160 option is gone form the Displays in System Preferences. There are several HiDpi Scaled Resolutions available up to 3008x1692.

I guess that they now detect the display and the size and think 3840 x 2160 would be just too small. And it is. For me, it's unusable at that resolution.

Using any scaled resolution makes the entire OS very sluggish (with lid closed, driving one display only).

Is it too much for the GeForce GT 750M or is it just a matter of beta drivers?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.