Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mavericks.png
Apple today seeded build 13D33 of OS X 10.9.3 to developers, just under a week after releasing the fourth OS X beta, build 13D28, and a month after the first 10.9.3 beta.

The beta is available through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store as well as through the Mac Dev Center.

Apple continues to ask developers to focus on Graphics Drivers and Audio, and Safari. As was discovered with the first beta, 10.9.3 adds new support for 4K displays, offering "Retina" resolutions that improve readability along with support for 60Hz output from the Retina MacBook Pro.

Article Link: Apple Seeds OS X Mavericks 10.9.3 Build 13D33 to Developers

MacMan988

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
I still don't get the concept behind retina. If it has to be always scaled down to lower resolutions, then how does it becomes different from a computer that runs the same resolutions (the resolution that the retina is scaled down to) natively ?

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
I still don't get the concept behind retina. If it has to be always scaled down to lower resolutions, then how does it becomes different from a computer that runs the same resolutions (the resolution that the retina is scaled down to) natively ?

4x the amount of pixels fill up that resolution, so the display is very clear.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011

Go retina for a month then go back and you'll see.

Kuro Tanaka

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2013
10.9.3 Build 13D33 fixed the issue where the graphics wouldn't switch across to the Intel HD Graphics 4000 chip on my MacBook Pro.

Always running on the NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M chip meant fast battery drain and a very hot machine.

WallToWallMacs

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2014
10.9.3 Build 13D33 fixed the issue where the graphics wouldn't switch across to the Intel HD Graphics 4000 chip on my MacBook Pro.

Always running on the NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M chip meant fast battery drain and a very hot machine.

Any noticeable improvements to the Intel HD 4000 and nVidia performance?

Narcaz

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013
Macrumors continues to repeat the statement, that 10.9.3 will support 4K/60hz with all rMBPs. So far only the 15'' rMBP with 750m has been proven working under 4K/60hz with 10.9.3 beta and Windows 8.1. All Iris (Pro) models seem to be limited with 4K/30hz (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5475430?start=210&tstart=0). It would be nice, if a developer here could verify this.

Last edited:

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
I think there are two advantages with Retina displays:

1. A Retina scaled down and a non-Retina native will likely have the Retina still produce much higher quality thanks to the tiny dot pitch which hides the effects of scaling extremely well (it has to be seen, really). In other words, a scaled ~230 ppi image will still usually win over a native ~100 ppi image since the scaling effects takes place on a pixel level, way below what can easily be seen on a retina dot pitch. You need a microscope to easily see the added aliasing / blur.

2. A Retina scaled down and a non-Retina scaled down will have the Retina still crisp and the non-Retina look horribly blurry. That is -- if you purchase a 15" Retina MBP, you get a native display of 1440x900, 1680x1050, and 1920x1200 all in one. OK, so it's not native, but your eyes will not be able to tell a difference. It's native-quality on an extremely crisp retina dot pitch to boot, three resolutions in one computer. The last time we had that convenience was on CRT displays, but they were worse in other ways. If you instead get a non-retina 15" laptop, you get only the resolution it was built for. All others will look blurry and (in my opinion) unusable unless you're using it for mirroring onto a TV or (perhaps, with varying success) in a computer game. The reason it becomes blurry and all nasty is because the dot pitch is so large that it can't hide the effects from scaling, which a retina display can.

Last edited:

MARKBOARD

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2014
What about Sandybridge intel HD 3000 Graphics update for supporting 4k @60Hz?

All builds of OS X 10.9.3 till new build 13D33 look not meant for ? :apple:

Last edited:

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield

All builds of OS X 10.9.3 till new build 13D33 look not meant for ?

Not sure if you're seriously but I believe it won't work since there Display Port is not the correct version and the graphics is underpowered to drive such resolution. I'm not sure tho, so feel free to correct me.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009

All builds of OS X 10.9.3 till new build 13D33 look not meant for ?

Fairly certain Intel has NEVER supported 4K on the HD3000. Not in windows and certainly not in OSX. The HD4000 is the first Intel GPU to support 4K displays (unless that has changed in the last 6-9 months).

MARKBOARD

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2014
Not sure if you're seriously but I believe it won't work since there Display Port is not the correct version and the graphics is underpowered to drive such resolution. I'm not sure tho, so feel free to correct me.

Fairly certain Intel has NEVER supported 4K on the HD3000. Not in windows and certainly not in OSX. The HD4000 is the first Intel GPU to support 4K displays (unless that has changed in the last 6-9 months).
---
Thank you for your reactions, i'm by asking just hope :apple: thinks will support sandybridge hd 3000. Well may be in the coming releases or why not next OS X :) just wait & see

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.