Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stisdal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
USA
As stated, I am still rocking an iPad 3, using for surfing, email, very light games. Still on IOS 6... I tried 7.0 before Apple stopped signing 6, but had too many issues so I went back...

So, how are things now on 7.1? Please only iPad 3 users reply...

Seandroid

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
Canada
iOS 7.1 took my uselessly slow iPad that I hated using and made it a joy to use again. Easily works as great as it did when I bought it now :)

dsh3

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2012
Denmark
7.1 feels much better on my 3rd gen iPad compared to 7.0, so I wouldn't hesitate to update.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
It is. I have no major problems with my iPad3 running 7.1b3. (The last JB'able beta version not much different from the final.)

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
But is it better than iOS 6 that the OP still seems to have?

I'm running my iPad 3 on iOS7 and having no issues at all really or if there are any they dont hinder my day to day use of the device or are very noticeable.

stisdal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
USA
Thanks for all the reply's. Yes, I am still on IOS 6, (iPad 3, 64gb, LTE) and it does all that I currently need it to do... (This is why I have been hesitant to update) I do get some app updates that go away when I try to download, so am thinking that they are IOS 7 specific updates.

I have IOS 7 on my 5S, and love it, and was just thinking that having my iPad on 7 would make things more fluid when switching between the two. (Plus the nagging update badge on my settings icon)

From the sounds of your reply's I guess I will go for it this weekend...

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Thanks for all the reply's. Yes, I am still on IOS 6, (iPad 3, 64gb, LTE) and it does all that I currently need it to do... (This is why I have been hesitant to update) I do get some app updates that go away when I try to download, so am thinking that they are IOS 7 specific updates.

I have IOS 7 on my 5S, and love it, and was just thinking that having my iPad on 7 would make things more fluid when switching between the two. (Plus the nagging update badge on my settings icon)

From the sounds of your reply's I guess I will go for it this weekend...

Please update your impressions. I also have an iPad 3 running 5.1.1 and I want to hear how it runs in your device. Also let us know if the blur effect has been enabled in control center and spotlight. On my iPad 2 there's blur effect in control center. It's just grey.

Riskke

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2011
This update is quite worthy as previous 7.x is just laggy and not battery friendly.

Euroamerican

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Boise
iPad 3, Verizon, 64gb

I just upgraded last night and right now I'm wishing I hadn't done it yet. The battery life is going down 99 to 75 percent in the last two hours, with the thing just mostly sitting there sleeping, with about two 5-minute bursts of playing a non-action game.

In addition, the thinness of icons in some of the apps is rather annoying and hard to see, compared to in iOS6. the back/forth arrow buttons that were rather easy to see in iOS6 Safari are now thin BLUE arrows… Blue, by the way, is a bad color to focus on and I've always read that it should not be chosen for text. Using it for text and icons is just plain stupid.

Another issue I have is that the game I have been playing keeps getting a pop-up for GameCenter. I don't see a way to disable this Microsoft-like/WebAdlike annoying popup.

Finally, the upgrade will force your iWork apps to upgrade to the newer, flat and dumbed down versions and also force you to go to Mavericks on your desktop.

I wish I had waited a little longer.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
iPad 3, Verizon, 64gb

I just upgraded last night and right now I'm wishing I hadn't done it yet. The battery life is going down 99 to 75 percent in the last two hours, with the thing just mostly sitting there sleeping, with about two 5-minute bursts of playing a non-action game.

In addition, the thinness of icons in some of the apps is rather annoying and hard to see, compared to in iOS6. the back/forth arrow buttons that were rather easy to see in iOS6 Safari are now thin BLUE arrows… Blue, by the way, is a bad color to focus on and I've always read that it should not be chosen for text. Using it for text and icons is just plain stupid.

Another issue I have is that the game I have been playing keeps getting a pop-up for GameCenter. I don't see a way to disable this Microsoft-like/WebAdlike annoying popup.

Finally, the upgrade will force your iWork apps to upgrade to the newer, flat and dumbed down versions and also force you to go to Mavericks on your desktop.

Your battery drain has nothing to do with the iOS 7.1

Restore it as new and download again every app.

You can activate shape buttons to highlight buttons area and you can disable Game Center notifications.

Last edited:

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
iPad 3, Verizon, 64gb

You might want to turn off BT if you are not using it as well as turning off background app refresh. See if that helps.

stisdal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
USA
Please update your impressions. I also have an iPad 3 running 5.1.1 and I want to hear how it runs in your device. Also let us know if the blur effect has been enabled in control center and spotlight. On my iPad 2 there's blur effect in control center. It's just grey.

Ok, so I bit the bullet and updated my iPad 3 to 7.1.1.

First impressions; I was already used to IOS 7 on my iPhone so I won't get into appearance, other than I don't care for the solid dock... As far as use, it has been very fluid, no issues that I notice. Now understand, I do mail, surf the web, and use the calendar. (Fantistical 2) not into games at all, though the wife does play a few.

Overall it was worth it. Continuity between iPhone, iPad, Mac. There may be very minor differences in operation between ios 6 to 7, but none that would make me wish to go back...

I was surprised at the number of updates to apps I needed to do after this update. (I had updated and backed up just before going to ios 7) makes me wonder what I have been missing!

Edit; no, there isn't any blur in control center, but it really doesn't bother me either way...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.