Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Junel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hi Guys,
I am wondering if you can give me a bit of advice.
My Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Series SSD has died, and amazon is offering me a full refund.
I have seen the Seagate 600 Series 480GB for £160. Do you believe it is a good deal for me to purchase the Seagate or shall I try something else, or even stick to another Samsung?

Thanks

Junel

Merode

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Warsaw, Poland
In my opinion only Intel is more reliable than Samsung when it comes to SSDs. I guess you were unlucky.

I'd stick with Samsung.

Junel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Yeah, I was thinking about sticking with Samsung, it has more of a reputation when it comes to SSD's than Seagate. However, the extra space available for the same price due to the drive being special offer on offer is compelling.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Yeah, I was thinking about sticking with Samsung, it has more of a reputation when it comes to SSD's than Seagate. However, the extra space available for the same price due to the drive being special offer on offer is compelling.

I think you just had bad luck with the Samsung and in general people don't seem to be having the infant mortality issue you had. That said, the Seagate you mentioned is a good drive also and if you can get a better deal on it than the Samsung it would be worth a try.

Junel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
I've decided to place an order for the Seagate, extra space would be a pleasure to have, I had to be very space conscious with the 240GB, specially with my ever growing iTunes library. I've copied over as much as I need into an external drive, the SSD should be coming tomorrow, hopefully before I leave for a few days!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.