Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeeThePeople

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Manchester
My new Mac mini arrived this morning, during the install it started looking for a wireless network and hung, I left it for 2 hours before having to pull the plug on it! When I booted up again I got the file icon with flashing question Marc, I booted to the recovery page and only got the option of my external hard drive, now mavericks is installed on an external drive, it boots and runs ok but my internal 500gb HD is missing.

Any ideas what's going on?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What happens if you boot into the recovery partition (cmd-r)?

Do you see the drive?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
My new Mac mini arrived this morning, during the install it started looking for a wireless network and hung, I left it for 2 hours before having to pull the plug on it! When I booted up again I got the file icon with flashing question Marc, I booted to the recovery page and only got the option of my external hard drive, now mavericks is installed on an external drive, it boots and runs ok but my internal 500gb HD is missing.

Any ideas what's going on?

Sounds like you have a bad drive there.

When you say "during the install" in that first line, what exactly were you doing?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It was doing its first run, do they call it initial set up?

Ah... gotcha "system setup." Just wanted to make sure you were not trying to install perhaps an incompatible OS version.

Yeah, that for sure sounds like a bad drive and I would exchange it. No way is that normal and a reinstall, although it might work now... will not fix the underlying problem of a failed (failing) drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.