Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

easy-peasy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
I started using this trick and seem to like it a lot as a way to save wear and tear on the buttons over time.

I already had a 4s power button crap out on me and get stuck (I'll eventually get a oow replacement once the price drops to $149 this september).

I'd hate for the same thing to happen to my 5s so it's nice to the ability to have virtual buttons for things like home, screenshot, siri, and to lock the screen. Hell, if someone were so inclined they could jailbreak and use the tweak 'virtual home' and never need to press another physical button anymore! :eek:

I've experimented the best place to put the AssistiveTouch button and so far I've found in the top left (right in between the top left icon and 2nd row left icon) is the best for me as it doesn't get in the way of anything or fall on the keyboard when in portrait or landscape.

Anyone else use AssistiveTouch besides me?

(p.s. If you want to try it yourself it's under settings -> general -> accessibility -> assistivetouch)

emir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
A lot of my friend's do out of wear and tear anxiety because their previous iPhones had non-functional buttons in some part of their lives. When you think about it, it's really stupid to not use the buttons that are actually there to be used. On the other hand some actually defend it is easier to use assistive touch and eliminate buttons. I use it on my 2.5 year old 4S for the lock button, despite the button being functional still when you press it "really" hard. (it's flush against the body) It's easier to use assistive touch than grab the iPhone solidly and press really tough on the lock button.

easy-peasy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
I think it's pretty smart to protect an expensive electronic from something that could easily break it, almost just like using a case to protect the phone from getting its screen cracked from a fall.

I could understand not using AssistiveTouch if the iPhone had more resilient buttons, but for me I've learned the lesson from my 4s and now try to preserve my buttons as long as I can :)

emir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
I think it's pretty smart to protect an expensive electronic from something that could easily break it, almost just like using a case to protect the phone from getting its screen cracked from a fall.

I could understand not using AssistiveTouch if the iPhone has more resilient buttons, but for me I've learned the lesson from my 4s and now try to preserve my buttons as long as I can :)

That is the exact reason my friends use it as well. As they say; once burnt twice shy. We'll see if I use it or not when I upgrade to 6.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I use the Virtual Home tweak on the 5s for the same reason as the OP. I don't remember the last time I clicked the home button.

sammy-boy

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2013
Staffordshire, UK
I did for a while but found it a bit cumbersome, so don't any more. I do worry about wearing the home button out but think the 4s buttons improved as it's a different design to the failure-prone home button on the 4. Feel more confident using it.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
No. I have owned 2 different iPhones and neither have had issues with the lock button. I did know someone though that did get their lock button stuck on a iPhone 4. They later replaced with an iPhone 5.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
A few of my friends do it. I'm not worried about it breaking. If it does, then oh well. I'll wait until it actually breaks before I use it.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
I have never used assitive touch and never needed to lol. I would only use it if I had a bottom go out and I was to lazy to fix it.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Personally I've never had a button fail, but if it did I'd either repair it myself or have it repaired under warranty. I don't like the idea of not being able to use my device the way it was intended to be used.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

I could understand not using AssistiveTouch if the iPhone had more resilient buttons, but for me I've learned the lesson from my 4s and now try to preserve my buttons as long as I can :)
What is the point of preserving them if they aren't going to be used? ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.