Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ijabz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2014
bridport, dorset
Hi in the last post https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1484859/ the user lannister80 asks for a tool that can copy a tag between mp3s.

I have developed and sell an application that can do this but as I understand it I cannot discuss my own applications on other peoples threads unless they explicitly ask about my application, which seems a shame in this particular case as no one has provided an alternative solution.

Clarification from a board administrator please.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
Personally, I'd post saying that "there is a program X that can do this for you" without revealing that you are the developer.

Then again, I'm no mod :rolleyes:
Hope you figure this out!

jeremysteele

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2011
I'm kind of curious about this as well, surprised no mods have chimed in yet. Maybe they are surprised someone actually took the time to read the rules? :D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
OP, you are correct, the Guidelines for Software Developers is specific where you may promote your applications.

Restrictions

If you are an App Store or Mac App Store or other Mac OS X software developer then you must not:

use the privileges listed above on behalf of another developer or another developer's products.
promote your application as if you are a consumer instead of the developer.
promote your application outside the threads outlined in the Privileges section above except as permitted in user profiles and signatures by the Forum Rules.
post unnecessarily (without something new to say) simply to call attention to your thread or MacRumors account, or to build traffic at your website. The forum rule prohibition on "bumps" applies to all users. Your forum participation should consist of more than just posting links or information copied and pasted from your website.
post promo codes or serial numbers outside the Code Sharing and Software Promos forum. Thread or posts elsewhere containing promo codes or serial numbers will be removed or moved by the moderators.
offer employment, solicit work, or make other posts that fall under the Marketplace Rules.

----------

Personally, I'd post saying that "there is a program X that can do this for you" without revealing that you are the developer.

That's not permitted as per the rules, as a developer he must identify himself as such in the his threads.

ijabz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2014
bridport, dorset
Yes I've read the rules and clearly the suggestion of posting as if not developer was a bad one. But it woulds be nice if somebody could answer by question directly instead of referring to the rules which are not clear on this point.

I can see the question still hasn't been answered by anyone, I have a solution, but my understanding is I cannot answer them because my application has not been mentioned in the question so Im not going to answer, but clarification would be useful.

crenz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2003
Shanghai, China
Frankly speaking, if you have an app that can answer my problem, I would very much appreciate if you were to talk about it. It's a different thing from creating your own thread and saying "Go and check out this app".

I'd suggest a reply along the lines of "I feel this app XYZ might fit your needs because ABC. Disclosure: I am the developer of this app. Mods, please feel free to delete this post if considered not appropriate".

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yes I've read the rules and clearly the suggestion of posting as if not developer was a bad one. But it woulds be nice if somebody could answer by question directly instead of referring to the rules which are not clear on this point.

I answered your question, as per the rules, developers cannot promote their software in someone's thread. They may create a thread in the appropriate apps forum but they may not respond in an existing thread.

Do you have any questions or confusion of what I posted.

If a developer fails to abide by the rules, then the moderation team will get involved and deal with the violation as per our guidelines, i.e., sending a reminder to the rules.

----------

Frankly speaking, if you have an app that can answer my problem, I would very much appreciate if you were to talk about it. It's a different thing from creating your own thread and saying "Go and check out this app".

I'd suggest a reply along the lines of "I feel this app XYZ might fit your needs because ABC. Disclosure: I am the developer of this app. Mods, please feel free to delete this post if considered not appropriate".

As the rules are now, you cannot do that, and the post would get deleted and/or you'd received some communication from the moderation team.

ijabz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2014
bridport, dorset
Okay thanks for the clarification - it cannot be done.
But as Crenz answer demonstrates in this case the rules do not always work to the benefit of users trying to solve problems.

I assume not mentioning my own software (except in signature) but providing an answer of how a theoretical piece of software could solve the issue which correlates with how the real software solves the issue would also be breaking the rules.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Okay thanks for the clarification - it cannot be done.
But as Crenz answer demonstrates in this case the rules do not always work to the benefit of users trying to solve problems.

The administrators and moderators try to strike a balance of promoting discussions and helping people but yet prohibit spammers and others posting just to promote their apps. Its not a perfect system and there is always room for improvement. I can say is that we do discuss these topics as we look to improve a member's experience here at MacRumors without burdening everyone with more rules.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.