Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willjmars

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2014
Hey ladies and gents! As you can see, I am a new iPhone user (4s) and a new MRF member!

I've got a MacBook Pro and an iPhone 4s.
So far, I love both, however i've encountered a problem. I want to add DVDs to my iPhone, but I can't work out how to do it.

I've ripped the DVD to my HD with Handbreak, but the video quality is awful and it's all fuzzy and broken up.

Can I have a basic tutorial on how to put DVDs on an iPhone using a Mac?

Thanks.

- will

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You want to find an app that will convert your ripped file (or your DVD) to an iPhone video format. There are a few of them out there that will do it as freeware/shareware.

Once the conversion is done you'll need iTunes to move the file over.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Hey ladies and gents! As you can see, I am a new iPhone user (4s) and a new MRF member!

So far, I love both, however i've encountered a problem. I want to add DVDs to my iPhone, but I can't work out how to do it.

I've ripped the DVD to my HD with Handbreak, but the video quality is awful and it's all fuzzy and broken up.

Thanks.

- will
What settings did you choose? Handbrake is by far the easiest to use and gets great results while being simple to get.

I usually choose the "Apple TV 3" preset for a good mix of file size and quality (usually ends up around 700 mb.

Click the "Toggle Presets" in the upper right to get the preset options, then choose "Apple TV 3". From there you click "source" and choose the DVD from the menu that appears.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-05 at 12.08.30 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-04-05 at 12.08.30 PM.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 88

willjmars

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2014
What settings did you choose? Handbrake is by far the easiest to use and gets great results while being simple to get.

I usually choose the "Apple TV 3" preset for a good mix of file size and quality (usually ends up around 700 mb.

Click the "Toggle Presets" in the upper right to get the preset options, then choose "Apple TV 3". From there you click "source" and choose the DVD from the menu that appears.

Thanks for the help.
I got the same problem that I've had before. Sound jittery and video awful, awful, unwatchable quality.

Can I have a screenshot of the different settings you have when the Apple TV preset is selected, including any ones in options.

Thanks for the help!

iKaushal

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Mumbai, India

Thanks.

- will

I use wonder share converter. It's amazing and converts for all my iDevices and has option to add subtitles, change sound settings, resolution, etc.

The presets in it are pretty good too.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
OT: When a new DVD comes out I opt to get the Blueray disc with the Digital Copy. Most Digital copies will download from iTunes. So this way you will have a copy on your computer that you can transfer to any iOS device.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
You want to find an app that will convert your ripped file (or your DVD) to an iPhone video format. There are a few of them out there that will do it as freeware/shareware.

Once the conversion is done you'll need iTunes to move the file over.

What if it's an iPhone 6 were converting the video for, do we still use ATV 3 preset or something else?

Note: talking about the regular 6 and not plus

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.