Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xtempo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
I was trying to install 1GB of RAM so it goes to 4GB instead of 3GB as it was. I somehow broke the clip that holds the RAM stick so I can't use more than 2GB. What can I do? is it easily fixable?

IMG_2422.JPG

harrymatic

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2013
United Kingdom
You should still be able to get a memory module to connect, it just won't be as sturdy. Try putting a rubber band around the two memory modules together to hold them tight.

xtempo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
I've broken the top one now all I can have is 2Gb. I tried going back to 512MB so I could have 3GB. It shows its empty even though its really snug.

Looking at the 2 1Gb sticks I noticed they 4200u instead of 3200 like the one set I got before. Also the hole didn't line up right so that is how I broke the clips trying to force it in. I get a red light when I am trying to use the 512MB (x2).

If there is a way to get it so I can have 4 GB I would do it but since I am having trouble getting 3GB with the sticks that it came with I will just use 2GB and save up for G5 with more memory later then.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I've broken the top one now all I can have is 2Gb. I tried going back to 512MB so I could have 3GB. It shows its empty even though its really snug.

Looking at the 2 1Gb sticks I noticed they 4200u instead of 3200 like the one set I got before. Also the hole didn't line up right so that is how I broke the clips trying to force it in. I get a red light when I am trying to use the 512MB (x2).

If there is a way to get it so I can have 4 GB I would do it but since I am having trouble getting 3GB with the sticks that it came with I will just use 2GB and save up for G5 with more memory later then.

There was an order for the paired ram chips in size and speed to be plugged in to the PM.

The 4200 speed on a matched pair should clock down to 3200.

That doesn't make sense that because one clip is broken, the slot no longer works.

I have had two PM's with broken clips and the ram worked fine. Possibly, you broke the ram slot's connectors on the logic board.

But also make sure you really shove it into the slot snugly -- after you clean it out with a light solvent.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Damn, how much force did you use? I've never broken a ram clip on any computer before, let alone any of my G5's!

One broken clip came that way on the PM (probably heat related?), the other was the first one I owned and it came off after the chip was in the slot.

xtempo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
There was an order for the paired ram chips in size and speed to be plugged in to the PM.

The 4200 speed on a matched pair should clock down to 3200.

That doesn't make sense that because one clip is broken, the slot no longer works.

I have had two PM's with broken clips and the ram worked fine. Possibly, you broke the ram slot's connectors on the logic board.

But also make sure you really shove it into the slot snugly -- after you clean it out with a light solvent.

I put it in snugly and tight but it won't go in. the hole is in a different place which I didn't realize before which is why I was pushing it hard. though I could try a solvent and see if I can get at least dual 512mb running.

I tried both pairs of slots and one side always seemed to not be seated while the other is fine. Its because of the hole I think since it did not line up like it should and even when pushed it still wouldn't match up so it was impossible for it to be completely seated.

I suppose I should call this a learning experience. check the ram before I try to install it and match with the one I have currently installed.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I put it in snugly and tight but it won't go in. the hole is in a different place which I didn't realize before which is why I was pushing it hard. though I could try a solvent and see if I can get at least dual 512mb running.

I tried both pairs of slots and one side always seemed to not be seated while the other is fine. Its because of the hole I think since it did not line up like it should and even when pushed it still wouldn't match up so it was impossible for it to be completely seated.

I suppose I should call this a learning experience. check the ram before I try to install it and match with the one I have currently installed.

? You do know you have to have matching pairs of regular DDR ram, right?

I used a ruler at times to push the ram into the slots. Are you saying your ram was the wrong kind?

xtempo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
I am using matching pairs. The slot or the hole is a little bit off than the ones I have that worked. At the moment I haven't used anything to clean it so trying to get dual 512MB (matching ones ) to make it 3GB is unimportant.

I may have gotten ram used in later G5 that won't in the early ones. I knew it was G5 memory but I didn't know that it was for later models.

I always get the memory in pairs since G5's only work with pairs.

If I clean the slots I should probably get it working but I don't want to mess with this anymore since I don't want to make it worse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.