Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NTNL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
How to change IP address?

I'm new to these things how can I change it Mac OS X 10.8.5...?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
You can go to Network in System Prefs then select your network and go to advanced... then click Renew DHCP Lease and that will have your router hand you a new local IP address, but if you are trying to change your public IP address that will need to be done by your Internet provider. Sometimes if you just unplug your cable/DSL modem a few minutes then restart, your ISP will give you a new IP address.

This varies by Internet provider though. I have had the same IP address for months on end even with power outages and cable modem reboots.

NTNL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
I read somewhere the unplugging method works with a dynamic IP right?

If so how can I check if I have dynamic or static?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I read somewhere the unplugging method works with a dynamic IP right?

If so how can I check if I have dynamic or static?

Correct... the unplugging method may work with a dynamic IP. Like I said, some IPs will still give you back the same IP even after unplugging. Mine does this.

Unless you specifically asked for a fixed IP connection from your ISP and you are paying for it, it is very unlikely you have a fixed IP.

http://192.168.100.1/

Depending on your cable modem brand, you may be able to see the modem settings at this local IP address and see if you have a dynamic IP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.