Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
I have a video that's 500mb , I want to give it to my brother , normally I would just upload it to a host site like hugefile , but his internet connection is not that fast so that would take him a while to download

How would you guys do it

Dropbox or another program ?

I have a mac & he has windows , obviously we are not in the same location

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Put it on an SD card formatted to FAT32, and snail-mail it to him.

These days, almost any SD or microSD card you can buy will have well above 500 MB of capacity.

And he can buy an SD or microSD to USB adapter pretty easily, in case he doesn't have an SD slot.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
His connection speed is what it is, regardless if you're using Dropbox, Hugefile, etc. so none are going to be significantly faster than any other with a given file.

You could use Handbrake or similar to make a smaller version of the file for him, if a reduction in quality is an acceptable trade-off. You could also upload the file to YouTube, etc. so he can stream it.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Dropbox was the winner , on the ipad or iphone a shared Dropbox video link can stream for 15 minutes
But if you hit the download button in safari the video will play in full after a minute or 2

This is if you send somebody a shared link to a video from Dropbox & the other person opens the link in an ios devices or using one of those download ios apps
Safari just streams instead of download

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.