Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arogge

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
The DVD drive in my laptop has failed. I put the CD/DVD in, but the motor won't engage to take up the disc. I've been using it only occasionally, once two weeks ago to play a music CD, but now it's inoperable and all I wanted to do was watch a DVD movie.

This is the second Apple-laptop DVD drive to fail like this, and the fourth DVD drive on an Apple system to fail for other reasons related to motors. I have other CD/DVD drives that have lasted ten years of frequent usage and exposure to non-ideal conditions, but none of them are compatible with the Mac. What should I do about this? Leave it alone as deadweight, look for a replacement DVD drive, or put another hard drive in the slot if that's even possible?

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I found I almost never used mine and for the times that I did I could use one shared out from my Mini or iMac depending on where I was.

So out came the optical drive and in went an optical caddy and 120GB SSD....

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Personally I'd put an SSD in it's place and buy an external DVD/Blu-Ray drive.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2008
The DVD drive in my laptop has failed. I put the CD/DVD in, but the motor won't engage to take up the disc. I've been using it only occasionally, once two weeks ago to play a music CD, but now it's inoperable and all I wanted to do was watch a DVD movie.

This is the second Apple-laptop DVD drive to fail like this, and the fourth DVD drive on an Apple system to fail for other reasons related to motors. I have other CD/DVD drives that have lasted ten years of frequent usage and exposure to non-ideal conditions, but none of them are compatible with the Mac. What should I do about this? Leave it alone as deadweight, look for a replacement DVD drive, or put another hard drive in the slot if that's even possible?

Apple DVD drives were made by Matshita. The name says it all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.