Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexappleusa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
I have a mid 2011 MacBook Air and bought an OWC aura 6G pro 480GB for it on ebay for about $100 less than the OWC price.

It lasted 2 months, freezes and then death (only SandForce controller 33k recognized). I try to RMA the drive only to find OWC has a warranty transfer limitation, luckily the person I bought it from is super nice and arranged an RMA for me. In the process I find out this is now the 3rd RMA for the drive since 2011 and the drive's warranty is up july 2014.

So question is- has this sand force controller issue been resolved? Can I trust this drive? Or should I unload it when I get the RMA back and just stick with 256GB and get a 128GB micro SD to put in my nub drive and get me by...?

What are peoples experiences thoughts?

Thanks!

Alex

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
Shouldn't you be calling OWC and asking there customer service dept if you can trust there products based on what you've been through ?

What difference does it make on here, I could have outstanding experience for the product in question and you could have horrible experience's.

Just saying

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
I have a mid 2011 MacBook Air and bought an OWC aura 6G pro 480GB for it on ebay for about $100 less than the OWC price.

It lasted 2 months, freezes and then death (only SandForce controller 33k recognized). I try to RMA the drive only to find OWC has a warranty transfer limitation, luckily the person I bought it from is super nice and arranged an RMA for me. In the process I find out this is now the 3rd RMA for the drive since 2011 and the drive's warranty is up july 2014.

So question is- has this sand force controller issue been resolved? Can I trust this drive? Or should I unload it when I get the RMA back and just stick with 256GB and get a 128GB micro SD to put in my nub drive and get me by...?

What are peoples experiences thoughts?

Thanks!

Alex

Hmm, I just bought one from OWC for my 2012 MBA. Hope I don't have the same issue. And you say OWC's Customer Service won't help you:confused:

Apple's Sandforce Controller issues seem to be resolved by a firmware update. I have had no issues with my Apply 64GB SSD since the firmware update. I don't know about OWCs however.

If it were me, I wouldn't want to stick anyone else with a known problem piece of hardware. Remember, what goes around comes around. But, that's just me.

Lou

Alexappleusa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
Oh no worries, as I mentioned OWC RMA'd and replaced the drive without issue. I am sure your drive will probably be fine...

I was just putting out feelers to see if anyone else was on their 3rd OWC drive but judging by the response I seem to be an exception not the rule.

Also yes I did ask OWC customer service and of course they said I was an exception as well, but wouldn't they have to say that?

Anyhoo I now have the replacement OWC drive and am going to stick it out as I can't get the capacity anywhere else.. Also there was a March firmware update that might help..

Happy harddriving!

Alex

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I had one OWC SSD fail after like twice in 2 years and then they replaced it and I basically never touched it again.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^So the third one was the charm. How long has it been running. I don't like the sound of this:mad:

Lou

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.