Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidbf1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2014
Hi, I;m heading to NYC in 4 week's time, and with the UK£:US$ rate, was planning on picking up a new 15" MBP retina.
However, just wondering if there's major updates coming later in the year?
I don't do any heavy processing - no video editing and only "light" work with Lightroom etc. My mid-2009 15" MBP has, and is, serving me well albeit the 250gb drive is now pretty full and I've got lots hived-off onto external HDD. just fancy treating myself to new machine, retina screen for photo work and the newer faster processors.
If I purchased current 15" MBP retina it will be more than enough to meet my needs, but there's a side of me that will kick myself when/if updates follow later in the year - although I would be back in UK and the "deal" would not be as sweet.

Thoughts welcomed

David

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
My suggestion would be, if you need a laptop now, buy it now. If you're going to keep on waiting until the new one is released, you'll never get one. The rMBPs that are out now are great. They're not old or outdated and they won't be even if the new ones were to come out. The rMBPs are great laptops, I recommend them to anyone.

macrumordude

Suspended
Apr 6, 2014
Huntington Beach, CA
Last edited:

AbyssImpact

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2010
Get one now. When the new one comes out, sell the one you have and buy the new version. That way you will always be up to date.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Could it be possible, announce in June at WWDC and release in Sept? My wishful thinking.:)

No. Any update this year will be a minor spec bump, due to delays in Intel's Broadwell platform. Also, Apple doesn't tend to announce hardware at WWDC except in certain cases. The Latin post article references another site, and even they don't offer any specifics other than the possibility of DDR4. What that site fails to mention is that Micron just announced the DDR4 platform last month, and it will take 6-12 months to move from spec announcement to any sort of meaningful production, let alone enough to fill the needs of a company like Apple. Since Haswell does not support DDR4, the upcoming spec bump will stick with DDR3.

macrumordude

Suspended
Apr 6, 2014
Huntington Beach, CA
No. Any update this year will be a minor spec bump, due to delays in Intel's Broadwell platform. Also, Apple doesn't tend to announce hardware at WWDC except in certain cases. The Latin post article references another site, and even they don't offer any specifics other than the possibility of DDR4. What that site fails to mention is that Micron just announced the DDR4 platform last month, and it will take 6-12 months to move from spec announcement to any sort of meaningful production, let alone enough to fill the needs of a company like Apple. Since Haswell does not support DDR4, the upcoming spec bump will stick with DDR3.

Thanks for the info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.