Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I've been rather frustrated in dealing with photos on the road. Not only sharing with others, but even sharing between say a laptop and my iPad or iPhone.

I'd been taking my Airport Express, but now with Mavericks and the death of Airport Utility 5.6 I decided to move on to another travel router.

This one, the HooToo TripMate Nano, was on sale at NewEgg so I plonked for it.

Rather to my surprise, it works great. USB power, decent range, easy setup as access point (from ethernet or bridging from a wifi connection), super small size and did I mention cheap?

But for purposes of those here a VERY nice feature is the USB port. You can just stick in a card reader and your card from your camera and you're sharing across your own little LAN, even without an internet connection. It even has a DLNA server built in so you can connect from like a PS3 or something. Or put music on a thumb drive and share that.

If you've got a wifi camera or EyeFi card, then you can make use of the local LAN to extend your reach a bit. Or just get all your iOS devices, laptop, and whatever else people have on the same network. It's a SMB server, so you can just mount the volume on your Mac, or use say Goodreader to get at the folders.

HooToo also makes a companion app that's surprisingly good. It's mostly for file management (you use a browser to configure the router), but it allows you to move stuff around, download to your iPhone, view pictures, etc.

I found the interface and setup to be easier than using my Express. And certainly better than Airport Utility 6 (I am a bit biased in favor of 5.6, as I alluded to). HooToo has very responsive tech support. About the only negatives are that it doesn't have an antenna port, and is single-band. But that's sorta like criticizing the sportscar you just bought for not having a rear seat and a tow hitch. For this price, and for it's intended use, it's a good choice of options.

You need to buy a cheap 12v cig lighter to USB adapter and/or AC to USB, if you don't already have them. But you can run it off your computer. They make a more expensive model, the TM01, that has a built in 5200mAH battery.

http://www.hootoo.com/hootoo-tripma...ing-access-point-wi-fi-router-and-bridge.html

Rob

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.