Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sakostw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2014
So this is what happened.

I put together a photo file from my old memory card that I used in my android phone. I then downloaded the file onto my daughters iPhone 5 because she wanted some of them as well as onto my iphone5. I then deleted the folder from the memory card so it was empty to use in a camera.

Well afterwards I went and checked her phone and was shocked that there were some photo's on there that I don't want her to see. I mean she can't have her phone back till I can get rid of these pictures!

so here is the problem. The original picture file is gone so I can't go in and just update it thru iTunes and the pictures are in a separate file and ARE NOT in the camera roll to delete via trash can.

I did select all the pictures I want her to have and created a new file and copied them incase there is a way to just delete the other file.

Please please please help me. I am freaking out right now.

----------

If I were to download something like Lock photo + video safe, could I put the original file in that and even though it is still on the phone she could never see it without the password?

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
if there were photos on there you didn't want her to see why did you put them on in the first place?

anyways you can go into the iPhone as it were a normal flash drive and find the photos on my computer on a pc, I'm not sure about it on a mac though.

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
if there were photos on there you didn't want her to see why did you put them on in the first place?
Perhaps he made a mistake.

----------

I'm not sure where on the phone the photos are if not the camera roll, but perhaps one of the apps that allow you to mount the phone's storage as a drive will let you do what you want.

If you google "copy music off my iPhone" or the like, you should be able to find something that might help you.

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
UK
Can't you just untick 'Sync Photos' on iTunes then hit Apply and it will remove all photos?

If that doesn't work, upload the photos you DO want to Dropbox or a similar app from her phone. Then attempt to delete them via:
Settings > General > Usage > Edit > Small red line appears next to Photo and Video > Delete (this will delete all photos and video on the phone)

If that doesn't work, DFU/factory reset and Restore from Backup. As the photos were synced from iTunes, and didn't originate from the Camera Roll they will not be included in the backup.

sakostw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2014

anyways you can go into the iPhone as it were a normal flash drive and find the photos on my computer on a pc, I'm not sure about it on a mac though.

I didn't know those pics were in the file. Like I said I was shocked when they were there. Not a big deal on Android. Delete and done but this thing is a nightmare to work! thing is I don't want them on my phone either because my other kid plays with my phone all the time.

I am going to try the PC thing and if that don't work then I think I have a couple ideas to try tonight. I bought a secured app thing off the App Store. I am thinking copy everything to that then
Do a backup so they aren't lost then resync the photos to a blank file. Then back to drawing boards to get her the pics she wants.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Can't you just delete them from the Camera Roll like you would with pictures taken with the phone?

they aren't in the camera roll, but synced to the photos app via iTunes. Interestingly, you can edit the images but can't delete them.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
they aren't in the camera roll, but synced to the photos app via iTunes. Interestingly, you can edit the images but can't delete them.
Is that how it works? You can put photos on your iPhone but you don't have control of them on the iPhone itself to delete them there? That's is...well...ridiculous?

ardent73

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
Editing is Deletion

If you can edit the photo just crop the whole photo and then it's "deleted".

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Is that how it works? You can put photos on your iPhone but you don't have control of them on the iPhone itself to delete them there? That's is...well...ridiculous?

You're welcome to get an Android phone. Or, use other methods to store/access your photos, like over Dropbox, or via flickr, or other apps. Or, make sure you're more careful about making sure that embarrassing/compromising pics of yourself don't end up on your daughter's phone by mistake before you delete all the "good' photos and ensuring you can't fix the problem without doing a lot of awkward explaining. But this is not new behavior. Photo sync over iPhoto/iTunes has been this way for about 7 years now.

----------

If you can edit the photo just crop the whole photo and then it's "deleted".

Actually, it just makes a copy of the cropped photo in your camera roll. So, now you have a "photo" you can't make any sense of, and the original photo.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You're welcome to get an Android phone. Or, use other methods to store/access your photos, like over Dropbox, or via flickr, or other apps. Or, make sure you're more careful about making sure that embarrassing/compromising pics of yourself don't end up on your daughter's phone by mistake before you delete all the "good' photos and ensuring you can't fix the problem without doing a lot of awkward explaining. But this is not new behavior. Photo sync over iPhoto/iTunes has been this way for about 7 years now.

----------

Actually, it just makes a copy of the cropped photo in your camera roll. So, now you have a "photo" you can't make any sense of, and the original photo.
Ah, so wondering about an odd lack of ability to do something basic (that hasn't changed after years) gets people on the defensive to tell others to basically "not let the door hit them on the way out". Nice, totally makes perfect sense.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Ah, so wondering about an odd lack of ability to do something basic (that hasn't changed after years) gets people on the defensive to tell others to basically "not let the door hit them on the way out". Nice, totally makes perfect sense.

I actually agree with the view that the sync-n-stay method of doing things on the photos app is outdated and needs to be changed. Especially considering that you CAN delete and change pictures in the photo stream.

But if saying how it is and the mindset being employed gets viewed as being "on the defensive" by people looking for conflict and antagonism as an ingress to be passive-aggressive about why they think Apple sucks, well hey, whatever floats your boat, mate. ;)

Personally though, I think the better sum-up here is "don't reward bad behavior." If a person is lax about their compromising pics and are mad at a Apple for not letting then delete those pics on the fly, why keep giving them money?

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I actually agree with the view that the sync-n-stay method of doing things on the photos app is outdated and needs to be changed. Especially considering that you CAN delete and change pictures in the photo stream.

But if saying how it is and the mindset being employed gets viewed as being "on the defensive" by people looking for conflict and antagonism as an ingress to be passive-aggressive about why they think Apple sucks, well hey, whatever floats your boat, mate. ;)

Personally though, I think the better sum-up here is "don't reward bad behavior." If a person is lax about their compromising pics and are mad at a Apple for not letting then delete those pics on the fly, why keep giving them money?
No one is looking for conflict, but starting off with "You're welcome to get an Android phone" to a perfectly innocent and valid (even seemingly in your opinion) observation, there are certainly not many ways to take it aside from that. The follow up of trying to paint it all as being "passive-aggressive about why they think Apple sucks" certainly only further supports that. Perhaps a simpler version of there just being a misinterpretation in play or assignment of some bias that wasn't and isn't there? But, it's all good. ;)

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
No one is looking for conflict,

Then let's not keep trying to propagate one. :)

Back to the topic: unfortunately for the OP, if s/he doesn't want their kid seeing those pics, they'll need to re-sync the phone. Unfortunately, that might mean no pics for the OPs daughter if the originals were erased.

It's also a reminder that if there's any pics, videos, or whatever that you want to keep around, then a mobile device, no matter what the OS or how it stores/edits that stuff, is probably the last place you want an only copy to live. Phones crash, get lost/stolen/broken, or things like this happen. Keep the stuff safe somewhere else (cloud storage or desktop) if you want them to stick around for any length of time. Smartphones should always be treated as just temporary, and pretty risky places for important stuff.

Last edited:

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Going back to the original post, I think we all kinda missed this part:

I did select all the pictures I want her to have and created a new file and copied them incase there is a way to just delete the other file.

This should be ALL you need to do. Re-sync the iPhone to iTunes with that new set of photos. The ones on the phone should disappear (because the original set isn't there anymore), and your new copy will be synced in their place, hopefully without any pics you don't want your daughter to see.

Done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.