Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
It is trivial to design a Lightning dock device that works with a case. Just extend the connector up from the plastic base a bit and provide support for the device to lean back.

Yet nobody seems to do it! I think I found ONE Sony alarm clock dock that did work with a case but even then it was just barely and you had to tweak it around to make it work.

At the very least they could design the devices to work with Apple's OWN cases. Shouldn't compatibility with Apple's own cases be part of the "MFi" certification process? It's frustrating!

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
It is trivial to design a Lightning dock device that works with a case. Just extend the connector up from the plastic base a bit and provide support for the device to lean back.

Yet nobody seems to do it! I think I found ONE Sony alarm clock dock that did work with a case but even then it was just barely and you had to tweak it around to make it work.

At the very least they could design the devices to work with Apple's OWN cases. Shouldn't compatibility with Apple's own cases be part of the "MFi" certification process? It's frustrating!

This one from Belkin works well for me and works well with cases. I use a Seidio Surface and it works great. I also used mounting tape to secure it to my desk so the iPhone pulls out with one hand.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Charge-Lightning-Connector-Generation/dp/B00AYNRLFA

gc916

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2012
Have you seen EverDock? I have the Duo. It accommodates our iPhone 5 and 5s with or without cases, and sticks very well to our countertop using micro-suction.

If I had to do it over again, I'd probably buy two single EverDocks instead of the Duo, but I'm still very happy with the product. It may be just what you're looking for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.