Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hello, at school, people use the Windows version of Microsoft Outlook. They set some kind of automatic archive so that their mailbox don't get full.

I have been using Mail which came with the Mac OS 10.8.5. Recently, I receive a message daily saying that my mailbox is going to be full. I don't want to delete emails (got lots of important ones with attachments). How can I solve this problem under Mac OS? Is there a similar archive feature in Mac?

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
they are probably using export to .pst.

Quick googling found this:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Archiving_E-Mail

Haven't used but the source should be known to you lol.

Also worth noting stuff like this has a downside. I tbh have lost .pst's. If you use a method like this, makes sure backups are good. And test them from time to time.

Also just some helpful hints as I get tickets for almost full mailboxes from clients I support:

unless you have legal need (or have paranoia) clean out sent items. I know some like to have these for see, I sent this guy that mail last month. I will grant them that. It be the sent items from 2 years ago to people not even in the company anymore I see kill mail storage space.

I understand you have attachments. Depending on how they were sent out take the time to see if the email chain letter cycle of death has the same xyz MB attachment sent to you several times. You should only need one copy, usually the latest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.