Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tarafran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Key West
Hi i bought this card "new"on Ebay .It has EFI and 2GB,single slot and I did not see any extra power connector on it
My Mac Pro 5.1 (upgraded from 2009 4.1 )has trouble booting from my main Maverick partition
I was able to reboot with an older MT Lion partition and from there reboot on Maverick
After 20 mn or less the graphics start showing sign of corruption
then the mac freezes.
The geek benchmark of my compare (around 31900)with the stock Gt1200 went down with the Gt 680
The card is in slot 1,I did load the new drivers from Nvidia
Any suggestions
Thanks

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
It most definitely requires two power connectors from the motherboard to the card, you may need adapters as one or both of the connectors on the card may be 8 pin instead of the standard 6 pin. The card will not function properly without these connectors and it is most likely the reason you are having problems.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
If it works fine in Mountain Lion, I'd say there is something wrong with your Mavericks partition. But really I'm just making guesses because you provide essentially no information and not even the right model number.

Try contacting the seller for support.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
@Tarafran. Below is an image of the GTX640, a one slot card. Just assuming, from your description this may be the card you purchased which has no provisions for 6 pin power cables.

geforce-gt-640-3qtr-682x342.png

Like what ActionMango suggested, just clarify with the seller for advise.

tarafran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Key West
correction it's a Gt640

yes i stand corrected it is a GT640 from EV3A that look like the picture from the previous reply.
mine has a cover on the fan
I have been looking at so many card model lately I'm starting to be confused on model # :)
I did not stay long enough on Montain Lion to checked if it was working as all my audio work, is on Maverick

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
yes i stand corrected it is a GT640 from EV3A that look like the picture from the previous reply.
I have been looking at so many card model lately I'm starting to be confused on model # :)
I did not stay long enough on Montain Lion to checked if it was working as all my audio work, is on Maverick

Hope your GT640 gets fixed. Just an option, a guy installed a GTX660 3G card on his Mac Pro. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TImpXtGYhGE

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula

The card is from EVGA, not EV3A.

http://www.evga.com/

tarafran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Key West
I reinstalled the card today after reinstalling the EVGA web drivers
Looks like it's working so far on my Maverick partition
Took a little bit of time on boot.
Had to keep the power button on till the beeps and also did an option P R start
Is there a way to do a stress test on the card ?
I want to make sure it's 100% working
Thanks

tarafran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Key West
Thanks to all for the replies ,
The card crashed again after 3 hours of use
I sent it back and ordered a stock Gtx 650
I'll keep my working Gt1200 for backups

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.