Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peanut207

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
This will be my first Android phone since owning every iPhone since 2007 except the 5s. My question to those who have experience with Android and Touchwiz in particular, what are your thoughts on it? Every review has mixed feelings about it. (Does your S4 or other Samsung devices lag?) Coming from an iPhone I'm hoping to be able to adapt to the Touchwiz os and that it won't be too much of a shock. I played around with the SG5 in my AT&T store and was blown away with the larger screen and the detail and vibrancy. It seemed smooth...but then again it is a store model and not bogged down with apps, music and videos..etc. Thanks for any input on helping my switch over to the Android world go smoother.

Note: I'm doing an upgrade swap with a family member, (giving them my iPhone5) so I'm maintaining my upgrade eligibility. Worst case scenario, if I hate the SG5 and the Touchwiz OS i can wait for the upcoming iPhone 6. But I figured why not give Android a shot.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
This will be my first Android phone since owning every iPhone since 2007 except the 5s. My question to those who have experience with Android and Touchwiz in particular, what are your thoughts on it? Every review has mixed feelings about it. (Does your S4 or other Samsung devices lag?) Coming from an iPhone I'm hoping to be able to adapt to the Touchwiz os and that it won't be too much of a shock. I played around with the SG5 in my AT&T store and was blown away with the larger screen and the detail and vibrancy. It seemed smooth...but then again it is a store model and not bogged down with apps, music and videos..etc. Thanks for any input on helping my switch over to the Android world go smoother.

Note: I'm doing an upgrade swap with a family member, (giving them my iPhone5) so I'm maintaining my upgrade eligibility. Worst case scenario, if I hate the SG5 and the Touchwiz OS i can wait for the upcoming iPhone 6. But I figured why not give Android a shot.

I honestly feel that the love/hate thing with Touchwiz is completely overblown. It's not that bad, it works and it works well. The great thing about Android is that if you don't like it you can always use a stock Google launcher a change up your device. I've used every iPhone since the 3GS and I've slowly evolved into a Samsung (not even Android as much) guy. I will be getting the S5 and am looking forward to it.

Good luck with it. My biggest piece of advice is the give it more than a week. The transition from iOS to Android takes time to get used to. Literally I think 3 weeks is about how long it takes for you to completely get used to all of the customizing and all of the features a Samsung phone has to offer. It's not like picking up an iPhone and getting it 2 days later so just be patient and enjoy it!

Peanut207

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
I honestly feel that the love/hate thing with Touchwiz is completely overblown. It's not that bad, it works and it works well. The great thing about Android is that if you don't like it you can always use a stock Google launcher a change up your device. I've used every iPhone since the 3GS and I've slowly evolved into a Samsung (not even Android as much) guy. I will be getting the S5 and am looking forward to it.

Good luck with it. My biggest piece of advice is the give it more than a week. The transition from iOS to Android takes time to get used to. Literally I think 3 weeks is about how long it takes for you to completely get used to all of the customizing and all of the features a Samsung phone has to offer. It's not like picking up an iPhone and getting it 2 days later so just be patient and enjoy it!

Thanks for the advice.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
I like TW even thought it is bloated. You for sure need to give it at least a week. if you like it you can always root it and put a custom and more lean rom on it

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
If you are looking for a phone to give Android a shot as a first iPhone user, why not go with a Moto X or a Nexus 5? These run Android the way the maker (Google) meant for Android to run with minimal or no bloatware.

Last edited:

Peanut207

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
If you are looking for a phone to give Android a shot as a first iPhone user, why not go with a Moto X or a Nexus 5? These run Android the way the maker (Google) meant for Android to run with minimum or no bloatware.

Was thinking about that but the SG5's camera is a big improvement over the Moto X and Nexus 5 IMO.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Was thinking about that but the SG5's camera is a big improvement over the Moto X and Nexus 5 IMO.

Totally agree. Just thought it was worth mentioning since it sounded like you are a first time switcher and might want to do something a little cheaper and bloat-free for your first experience with Android.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012

One tip is to remember that you can change at least (much of) the outward appearance of Touchwiz, using Nova Launcher and other replacement launchers. These are very easy to install, stable, do not add lag, and allow you to customize your home screen/app drawer looks as well as add some quite nifty gesture functionality. I use Nova Prime for my Note 2 since I wasn't very happy with how TouchWiz looked, I go for a simple "vanilla" Android look with some added gestures that add some very elegant ways to navigate the UI.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
One tip is to remember that you can change at least (much of) the outward appearance of Touchwiz, using Nova Launcher and other replacement launchers. These are very easy to install, stable, do not add lag, and allow you to customize your home screen/app drawer looks as well as add some quite nifty gesture functionality. I use Nova Prime for my Note 2 since I wasn't very happy with how TouchWiz looked, I go for a simple "vanilla" Android look with some added gestures that add some very elegant ways to navigate the UI.

^^^^ this is great advice...... I run Nova on all my phones that support it. Adds more customization.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I like TW even thought it is bloated. You for sure need to give it at least a week. if you like it you can always root it and put a custom and more lean rom on it

Just be aware doing this may trip Knox trigger, voiding your hardware warranty and could make the fingerprint scanner inoperable (as they are embedding it into Knox).

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
True but like others have said, Nova is a great way to change stuff up and you can easily switch back

Peanut207

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010

Thanks!

Quick question...one of the features i liked about iOS is that there was a gesture where you can swipe the screen to go back or forward web pages. Is that gesture available at all anywhere with Android?

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Nova lets use create custom gestures

boLVgkd.png

hJu3p8T.png

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Thanks!

Quick question...one of the features i liked about iOS is that there was a gesture where you can swipe the screen to go back or forward web pages. Is that gesture available at all anywhere with Android?

Not precisely, sorry. At least not that I know.

However you do have the back button on all Android phones. This lets you go to the previous web page so intuitively and effortlessly that you might not even miss having the swipe to go forward (given that one generally does that a lot less often). To me (my current phone is my first Android, after using iPhones exclusively since the 3G) using the back button to go back while browsing has become so intuitive that I don't even notice that I do it.

The only solution I can think of for having swipe to go both back and foward would be Boat Browser, where you can set up your own gestures for almost any function. If you like that browser (many prefer it over all other browsers, also because of its true fullscreen mode), I think you can set it up to emulate Safari quite well in terms of the forward and back swipe.

Edit: and yeah, like those above mentioned, if you choose to go down the root path you can set up pretty much any system wide gestures you want. But that takes a bit more of an effort to set up and you warranty may get voided in the process.

Last edited:

Peanut207

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
Those only work in the home screen, the op is talking about being in the web browser and swiping right to go back a page.

There might be a way to empkement this, but you may have to root.

Thanks. It's not a deal breaker but I was curious.

----------

Not precisely, sorry. At least not that I know.

However you do have the back button on all Android phones. This lets you go to the previous web page so intuitively and effortlessly that you might not even miss having the swipe to go forward (given that one generally does that a lot less often). To me (my current phone is my first Android, after using iPhones exclusively since the 3G) using the back button to go back while browsing has become so intuitive that I don't even notice that I do it.

The only solution I can think of for having swipe to go both back and foward would be Boat Browser, where you can set up your own gestures for almost any function. If you like that browser (many prefer it over all other browsers, also because of its true fullscreen mode), I think you can set it up to emulate Safari quite well in terms of the forward and back swipe.

Edit: and yeah, like those above mentioned, if you choose to go down the root path you can set up pretty much any system wide gestures you want. But that takes a bit more of an effort to set up and you warranty may get voided in the process.

Thanks a lot. I might look into that however like you said, I might not miss it anyway. I'll see how it goes.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013

If security doesn't interest you: go android
If it does: buy the iphone 6

Peanut207

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
If security doesn't interest you: go android
If it does: buy the iphone 6

Security is important to me yes..why should I be concerned with an Android phone. I understand it's not AS secure as an iPhone but I wasn't aware that Android had security issues. Do explain.

kuroe

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2013
If you're swapping from an iphone, do yourself a favor and disable imessage before you swap. Otherwise, your apple account will continue to get all of your text messages (and your Android wont).

Also, get your contacts, music, etc, onto a cross-platform utility (e.g. google contacts, google music, etc). iCloud is, unfortunately, Apple only. Google services tend to be good for this, but I do believe Samsung now provides a (apparently very good) tool to import iCloud information on the Galaxy S5.

And finally, I would personally say don't delve into using launchers straight away. Try the standard Touchwiz interface for at least a week or so, and if it really bugs you, then swap to a launcher.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
Security is important to me yes..why should I be concerned with an Android phone. I understand it's not AS secure as an iPhone but I wasn't aware that Android had security issues. Do explain.
There are many concerns but you'll understand the grand picture easily
Whatsapp for instance on http://www.whatsapp.com/download/
If you watch the link you can see android allows you to download an app directly from any external source without any security check The iphone doesn't: you must get it from iTunes And Apple won't allow harmful apps Google doesn't even perform a security check on downloads performed on google play
Whatsapp is safe (or so I think), many other apps aren't
And yes, once they're in they can take control without you even knowing
Btw Apple also checks if an app runs smoothly, isn't a memory pig etc

Bottomline: can you buy an android device Yes IF you check the integrity & security of every app you download or IF security isn't important to you
Otherwise: :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.